Ping :- Phil W Lee
soup
2013-05-23 08:43:44 UTC
Seems I was totally wrong about RAF Kirknewton. It was not a satellite
of Turnhouse, it did not fly Spitfires. Teach me to listen to 'locals'
(I am a white settler have only stayed in Balerno for 18 years). Seems
it was used as a POW camp, ack-ack liaison etc during WWII then a
storage area for the USAF post war.
The reason I mentioned Spitfires having a (well) less than 12 hour
endurance was I was specifically talking about RAF Kirknewton and why
they had sited it in such a gusty location[1] as at that time I believed
Spitfires had flown from it.

Were your 'best' short takeoffs and landings like these ones?

[1] Seems the powers that be agree with me as there was going to be a
training establishment there but it was decided against principally for
the gusty winds. Why they have decided that it is ok for sixteen year
old air cadets learning to glide but not young RAF pilots learning to
fly is another matter.
Phil W Lee
2013-05-23 18:05:03 UTC