Blind Flying
Bertie Doe
2008-11-08 11:31:12 UTC
With thanks to sheddi JonG for this link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/7715345.stm

Reminded me of a fictional story of a ghost mosquito that shepherded a lost
meteor back to base.

In the above Beeb story, the pilot regained some sight prior to touchdown.
Had he been completely blind, I'm not sure if you could be 'talked down' to
a survivable landing?

Bertie
me
2008-11-08 14:01:39 UTC
Post by Bertie Doe
Had he been completely blind, I'm not sure if you could be 'talked down'
to a survivable landing?
It would be interesting to try it using MS Flight Simulator or similar, but
I don't see why it couldn't be survivable. I've seen photographs of a few
pretty mangled aircraft, all of them due to landing accidents, from which
people have walked away or have, at least, survived their injuries.

If you can keep your vertical speed in check, a big flat area with no major
obstructions, probably won't damage an average light plane's contents too
much before it comes to rest.

I'm still not volunteering to try it for real though!

Bertie Doe
2008-11-09 12:00:54 UTC
Post by me
Post by Bertie Doe
Had he been completely blind, I'm not sure if you could be 'talked down'
to a survivable landing?
It would be interesting to try it using MS Flight Simulator or similar,
but I don't see why it couldn't be survivable. I've seen photographs of a
few pretty mangled aircraft, all of them due to landing accidents, from
which people have walked away or have, at least, survived their injuries.
If you can keep your vertical speed in check, a big flat area with no
major obstructions, probably won't damage an average light plane's
contents too much before it comes to rest.
I'm still not volunteering to try it for real though!
Agreed, I was thinking more of a talkdown onto a hard runway. In the thread
'trick photography' one of the video links, provided by ***@MJ, which
featured Pawnees in the States - the fields were the size of Norfolk,
probably flatter and with narey a hedge to spoil the view. Yep, very
survivable terrain.

BD
Richard Herring
2008-11-08 14:40:00 UTC
Post by Bertie Doe
With thanks to sheddi JonG for this link
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/7715345.stm
I see he was flying at "1,676 m". <sigh>
--
Richard Herring <mailto:***@clupeid.demon.co.uk>