France / Customs
Bob Walton
2006-06-22 20:01:00 UTC
Can anyone remind me if you have to DEPART France from a Customs airfield?

I know you must arrive via a suitable customs airfield (and even with
advance notice can't arrive at a non-customs airfield like you can in
the UK).

But I have vague memories from years ago of trying to arrange a time for
outbound customs at Dieppe on the way back from Chartres, and getting
the Gallic shrug and "why?". My logbook for 1997 shows Chartres -
Humberside direct, there ain't no customs at Chartres, and noone threw
me in jail, but confirmation would be nice!

Bob Walton
(eMail to my first name is more likely to reach me)
Peter
2006-06-23 20:08:09 UTC
Post by Bob Walton
Can anyone remind me if you have to DEPART France from a Customs airfield?
Yes you do.

It's not so in the UK but it is the case in quite a number of places.

I've just been to Prague (LKPR) and asked around; they can arrange for
"departure customs" from non-Customs airfields but it's a 10-day PPR
and they charge a hefty travelling fee. Switzerland is similar but is
free and (at the relevant airfields e.g. LSPV) the notice is just a
few hours.
Post by Bob Walton
I know you must arrive via a suitable customs airfield (and even with
advance notice can't arrive at a non-customs airfield like you can in
the UK).
But I have vague memories from years ago of trying to arrange a time for
outbound customs at Dieppe on the way back from Chartres, and getting
the Gallic shrug and "why?". My logbook for 1997 shows Chartres -
Humberside direct, there ain't no customs at Chartres, and noone threw
me in jail, but confirmation would be nice!
Lots of people have done it, and got away with it. I have no idea what
actually happens (should they find out) and have never spoken to
anybody who actually knows of any cases, but in theory they can arrest
you next time you go back there. I don't *think* it is an aviation
offence so they can't pursue you through the standard aviation
channels i.e. demand that the CAA prosecutes you on their behalf which
is what they do in the case of e.g. a TRA infringement.
Bob Walton
2006-06-27 13:50:00 UTC
Post by Peter
Lots of people have done it, and got away with it.
Let's hope so, 'cos I've just come back direct from Quiberon (and on an
IFR flight plan, so hardly secret).

The people who run Quiberon say that they just fax a copy of the FPL to
customs at Vannes, who never bother to turn up or show any interest at
all. Thought I was mad considering an otherwise unnecessary landing at
Dinard. (And given Vannes is closed for a month for some reason,
Quiberon didn't even want a copy of my FPL, 'cos there was no one to fax
it to).

They also said they have regular visitors from the UK who /arrive/
direct as well. And given that anyone doing the proper thing is likely
to arrive for customs at Dinard at lunchtime, (where visible Douaniers
are as likely as hens' teeth) it looks like the usual French set up: the
law says one thing, local custom and practice are entirely more
practical. Ho hum.

GillesK
2006-06-27 17:50:58 UTC

A rave party and cleaning the resulting mess, would you believe ?
Bob Walton
2006-06-28 08:48:00 UTC
Post by GillesK
A rave party and cleaning the resulting mess, would you believe ?
Must be one hell of a party!

GillesK
2006-06-28 11:04:45 UTC
Post by Bob Walton
Post by GillesK
A rave party and cleaning the resulting mess, would you believe ?
Must be one hell of a party!
45.000 ravers expected.