Now the police take a dim view of GA
unknown
2008-06-23 22:46:42 UTC
I came close to driving my car into a tree today in a fit of apoplectic
rage. The news of Radio 4 had an item that suggested that terrorists
could "make an attack on Britain using light aircraft to drop bombs."
Then the item carried the information that the police take a dim view of
GA because there are "too many planes and too many pilots."

About 8500 planes and 500 landing sites, some of which are entirely
private landing strips is "too many"?

I despair, what next a ban?
Peter
2008-06-24 14:14:53 UTC
Post by unknown
I came close to driving my car into a tree today in a fit of apoplectic
rage. The news of Radio 4 had an item that suggested that terrorists
could "make an attack on Britain using light aircraft to drop bombs."
Then the item carried the information that the police take a dim view of
GA because there are "too many planes and too many pilots."
About 8500 planes and 500 landing sites, some of which are entirely
private landing strips is "too many"?
I despair, what next a ban?
Yes, like I said on the other thread, front page news today.

Hopefully it will blow over.

x----------x
G Paleologopoulos
2008-06-24 15:46:31 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by unknown
I came close to driving my car into a tree today in a fit of apoplectic
rage. The news of Radio 4 had an item that suggested that terrorists
could "make an attack on Britain using light aircraft to drop bombs."
Then the item carried the information that the police take a dim view of
GA because there are "too many planes and too many pilots."
About 8500 planes and 500 landing sites, some of which are entirely
private landing strips is "too many"?
I despair, what next a ban?
Yes, like I said on the other thread, front page news today.
Hopefully it will blow over.
x----------x
Didn't that originate in the US a while back??
And then they came to realize the stupidity of the claim.
MB
2008-06-24 21:38:47 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by unknown
I came close to driving my car into a tree today in a fit of apoplectic
rage. The news of Radio 4 had an item that suggested that terrorists
could "make an attack on Britain using light aircraft to drop bombs."
Then the item carried the information that the police take a dim view of
GA because there are "too many planes and too many pilots."
About 8500 planes and 500 landing sites, some of which are entirely
private landing strips is "too many"?
I despair, what next a ban?
Yes, like I said on the other thread, front page news today.
Hopefully it will blow over.
I would not be too sure, just look at how anyone with decent camera is now
considered either a terrorist or paedophile by some officials.

Probably only a matter of time before realises that you might be to look
down and see children playing in their garden so you must be a paedophile.
unknown
2008-06-24 22:09:18 UTC
Post by MB
Probably only a matter of time before realises that you might be to look
down and see children playing in their garden so you must be a paedophile.
Oh I think that's come and taken root as a concept. My wife warned me
recently when we went to a grandchild's birthday party that I and the
other men were not to touch, look at or help any of the children from
outside our own families. If they fall over the men are just to stand
there and call for a woman to handle the child.

Cameras were banned in case snapping a grandchild included another child
by accident.

I despair.
Tim Ward
2008-06-24 22:21:51 UTC
Post by unknown
Oh I think that's come and taken root as a concept. My wife warned me
recently when we went to a grandchild's birthday party that I and the
other men were not to touch, look at or help any of the children from
outside our own families. If they fall over the men are just to stand
there and call for a woman to handle the child.
How bizarre. At my local pub it is routine to pick up and look after a
strange baby whilst its parents eat their meal.
--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor
me
2008-06-25 13:01:31 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by MB
Probably only a matter of time before realises that you might be to look
down and see children playing in their garden so you must be a paedophile.
Oh I think that's come and taken root as a concept. My wife warned me
recently when we went to a grandchild's birthday party that I and the
other men were not to touch, look at or help any of the children from
outside our own families. If they fall over the men are just to stand
there and call for a woman to handle the child.
Cameras were banned in case snapping a grandchild included another child
by accident.
I despair.
My sister-in-law is a classroom assistant at a school where they, the
all-female staff, are not allowed to apply sticking plasters to a child's
grazed elbow/knee/whatever. They are only allowed to hand the child a
plaster and let them put it on themselves (having, of course, first asked
the 5 to 7 year old child to confirm that he/she is not allergic to
plasters!)

There's now an industry generating this kind of bullshit.
Peter
2008-06-25 15:44:33 UTC
Post by me
My sister-in-law is a classroom assistant at a school where they, the
all-female staff, are not allowed to apply sticking plasters to a child's
grazed elbow/knee/whatever. They are only allowed to hand the child a
plaster and let them put it on themselves (having, of course, first asked
the 5 to 7 year old child to confirm that he/she is not allergic to
plasters!)
There's now an industry generating this kind of bullshit.
England seems to have a large population of idiots on which it can
readily draw, for these stupid pointless jobs which few people in the
rest of Europe would touch with a bargepole.

The upside is that anybody seeing a practice like this can get a local
reporter to dig into it and make it into a headline. If the reporter
is supplied with the personal details of the person who instigated the
policy (the headmaster or the external consultant) the result could be
quite effective. Most customers (parents) will not put their kids into
such a school.

x----------x
Milton Lewis
2010-02-09 15:48:21 UTC
What makes you think Europe has a monopoly on idiotic thinking and
behavior? Over here in the [US] colonies, I thought we had invented it,
as it is quite rampant!
Post by Peter
Post by me
[...]
unclemilty
aka Dad; aka Papaw; aka Whiskers; aka Squint; aka Leprechaun

Never is freedom of speech more precious
than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer.

Check out my website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~unclemilty
Peter
2008-06-24 14:20:11 UTC
Post by unknown
I came close to driving my car into a tree today in a fit of apoplectic
rage. The news of Radio 4 had an item that suggested that terrorists
could "make an attack on Britain using light aircraft to drop bombs."
Then the item carried the information that the police take a dim view of
GA because there are "too many planes and too many pilots."
About 8500 planes and 500 landing sites, some of which are entirely
private landing strips is "too many"?
I despair, what next a ban?
Front page news today, like I said on the other thread. Hopefully it
will blow over.

Security is a huge job creation industry in the UK right now. Every
"little man" who cannot do a real job is hoping to get some "yellow
jacket" job, preferably with a lot of form filling involved. The whole
of Greece has got this perfected and it's coming here :)

x----------x
2008-06-24 15:33:56 UTC
In Italy too,

this from an Italian friend of mine re the numbers (low) of private planes
over there:

costs and bureaucracy

i have mentioned 1500 GA airplanes. privately owned ones are a few hundreds,
the others belong to aeroclub, a handful to companies.

It is easier to say "no" and ban the lot than to accept it. We really are
starting to live in a dictorship arent we?

Quite frightning.

david