Flying in South Africa
AWG
2007-11-24 15:27:08 UTC
Hallo everybody:

I am making plans for a flying tour (Cessna or Piper singles) in South
Africa and neighbouring countries.
The idea is to carry a folding muntain bike and a tent and visit the place.
As I've never been in South Africa I wonder if there's somebody among you
that could provide me with some useful suggestion for a flying experience in
that country.
My question mainly focus on license validation, local weather in South
African Summer, particularly intersting placing to see from above, and
flight school in the Cape Town area to hire an aircraft from.
I would really appreciate any form of help from you on this topic.
Thanks in advance
Ciao

AWG
Peter
2007-11-24 16:35:10 UTC
Post by AWG
I am making plans for a flying tour (Cessna or Piper singles) in South
Africa and neighbouring countries.
The idea is to carry a folding muntain bike and a tent and visit the place.
As I've never been in South Africa I wonder if there's somebody among you
that could provide me with some useful suggestion for a flying experience in
that country.
My question mainly focus on license validation, local weather in South
African Summer, particularly intersting placing to see from above, and
flight school in the Cape Town area to hire an aircraft from.
I would really appreciate any form of help from you on this topic.
Thanks in advance
Ciao
AWG
There is a well known instructor called Irv Lee who is found on the
flyer.co.uk pilot forum, and who I believe comes from South Africa,
and can probably help you.

He sells various pilot training courses and has a website somewhere.
wolfgang k.
2007-11-24 16:56:15 UTC
it takes a written law-test and a day of instruction in theory to get
acquainted with the system;
then get acquainted with the aircraft you want to fly, with instructor on
board, then take flight-test with examiner - every school has one, so no big
problem. should be done in two days.

flying down there is fun.
was there in july 2007
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B1324BB9F38CA1CB
a couple of pics in a blog - sorry, german only
http://bushpilots2007.blogspot.com/

regards
wolfgang, loww, vie