single pilot ops in Europe
Bernhard D Rohrer
2007-10-29 12:37:08 UTC
Hi folks

I was wondering about the feasability of small corporate aircraft and
whether single pilot ops are a good idea for let's say a 6-seater (2+4)
in Europe's skies. typical ops like dublin - stockholm or london - milano.

what do ye think?

I hasten to add that I am new to all this and don't have a clue ;)

cheers

Bernhard
Peter
2007-10-29 16:37:23 UTC
Post by Bernhard D Rohrer
Hi folks
I was wondering about the feasability of small corporate aircraft and
whether single pilot ops are a good idea for let's say a 6-seater (2+4)
in Europe's skies. typical ops like dublin - stockholm or london - milano.
what do ye think?
I hasten to add that I am new to all this and don't have a clue ;)
cheers
Bernhard
Of course, for say a TBM700 or King Air such flights are easy.

London to Milan is under 3hrs in any turboprop and a TBM will reach N
Africa (not quite Luxor) from the UK in one leg. A KA will go further,
depending on which version.

To get airline-like reliability you will need something with a ceiling
of about 30,000ft or more, to get above the weather.

Most corporate ops seem to use King Airs. A friend is high up on the
"corporate ladder" and their requirements are 2 engines and 2 pilots,
always. Nevertheless most King Airs are flown single pilot.

I fly single pilot IFR/airways in Europe and it isn't a big deal at
all. With a well equipped aircraft the workload is low. But being
piston and unpressurised I would have to cancel a good 25% of
preplanned flights; the real figure depending on how nervous the
passengers are :)
Bernhard D Rohrer
2007-10-29 17:02:43 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Bernhard D Rohrer
[...]
*g*

I am admittedly fascinated by the TT62 Alekto

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=281933

and

http://www.flugzeuge.de/flugzeugliste/Geschaeftsflugzeug/TT62_Alekto/
tt62_alekto_926.html

(sadly in German)

it failed because of a major design flaw that had interference between
the wing and the props and the empennage.

apart from that? 230 KTAS, flightlevel 350, 1 pilot and 5 pax on 2*350 hp
diesels? range 1930 nm on max fuel or 1290 nm with 4 pax. This strikes me
as "want!" ;)

cheers

Bernhard
Peter
2007-10-30 10:09:57 UTC
Post by Bernhard D Rohrer
I am admittedly fascinated by the TT62 Alekto
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=281933
and
http://www.flugzeuge.de/flugzeugliste/Geschaeftsflugzeug/TT62_Alekto/
tt62_alekto_926.html
(sadly in German)
it failed because of a major design flaw that had interference between
the wing and the props and the empennage.
apart from that? 230 KTAS, flightlevel 350, 1 pilot and 5 pax on 2*350 hp
diesels? range 1930 nm on max fuel or 1290 nm with 4 pax. This strikes me
as "want!" ;)
The Epic Dynasty is a similar looking single engine turboprop. Look up
the performance!

The other thing is whether anybody has yet managed to make an aero
diesel that makes 1000hrs without major problems. To my knowledge,
nobody has yet.
Bernhard D Rohrer
2007-10-31 18:30:46 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Bernhard D Rohrer
I am admittedly fascinated by the TT62 Alekto
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=281933
and
http://www.flugzeuge.de/flugzeugliste/Geschaeftsflugzeug/TT62_Alekto/
tt62_alekto_926.html
(sadly in German)
it failed because of a major design flaw that had interference between
the wing and the props and the empennage.
apart from that? 230 KTAS, flightlevel 350, 1 pilot and 5 pax on 2*350
hp diesels? range 1930 nm on max fuel or 1290 nm with 4 pax. This
strikes me as "want!" ;)
The Epic Dynasty is a similar looking single engine turboprop. Look up
the performance!
The other thing is whether anybody has yet managed to make an aero
diesel that makes 1000hrs without major problems. To my knowledge,
nobody has yet.
As I live in Ireland and Scandinavia is a common destination for me, I'd
rather have a twin ...

regarding diesels: yes I think the Centurion engines sound good:

http://web.thielert.com/typo3/index.php?id=676&L=1#

A reengined Cessna 340 seriously tickles my fancy. Ceiling high enough to
stay over the weather and good range on JetA1.

Have you heard anything about these engines? Diamond uses them in all
their birds.

cheers

Bernhard
Peter
2007-11-03 11:27:56 UTC
Post by Bernhard D Rohrer
Have you heard anything about these engines? Diamond uses them in all
their birds.
Yeah, they all have problems. Flying schools operating Thielert
engined Diamonds tend to have half the fleet unserviceable at any one
time.

Ric
2007-11-02 13:27:02 UTC
Post by Peter
The other thing is whether anybody has yet managed to make an aero
diesel that makes 1000hrs without major problems. To my knowledge,
nobody has yet.
Where are the cooling inlets on the TT62? Those diesels will need a lot of
cooling.
Bernhard D Rohrer
that is exactly why they failed and the company went bust
Philippe Vessaire
2007-11-02 17:16:47 UTC
Post by Ric
Post by Peter
The other thing is whether anybody has yet managed to make an aero
diesel that makes 1000hrs without major problems. To my knowledge,
nobody has yet.
Where are the cooling inlets on the TT62? Those diesels will need a
lot of cooling.
On propellers pods...

By
--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬
Bernhard D Rohrer
2007-11-01 17:36:51 UTC
Post by Peter
To get airline-like reliability you will need something with a ceiling
of about 30,000ft or more, to get above the weather.
<snip>
Post by Peter
I fly single pilot IFR/airways in Europe and it isn't a big deal at all.
With a well equipped aircraft the workload is low. But being piston and
unpressurised I would have to cancel a good 25% of preplanned flights;
the real figure depending on how nervous the passengers are :)
How about the C421 with its 25,000 ft ceiling? or better the C340 with
35,000? I am a bit worried about the C340 cabin being tight

cheers

Bernhard