JAR-PPL Written tests - want to do them in UK and take results to US (to do JAR there)
a***@yahoo.com
2006-11-29 11:24:56 UTC
Excuse my ignorance - but is this possible ? Does one get certificates
for these exams ??

As I'm finding out more and more, it would appear to me that my best
course of action for my particular circumstances (UK expat living in
North Africa, wanting to get a ppl), is to go to the US and do the JAR
there (to obtain a JAA approved PPL).

My question (as I'm not in the UK and it's a tad difficult to find out
via email/web) is;

Can I go to a UK flying school merely to take (and pass) the exams ??
Ross Younger
2006-11-29 14:00:40 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Excuse my ignorance - but is this possible ? Does one get certificates
for these exams ??
[...]
Can I go to a UK flying school merely to take (and pass) the exams ??
Yes. In fact it's a sensible course of action - quite a few people get
the ground school out of the way before going abroad for an intensive
flying course. I would also advise you to take your radiotelephony
practical in the UK on the same reasoning.

When you pass an exam the examiner is required to sign your application
form to that effect. (www.caa.co.uk -> Safety Regulation Group ->
Personnel Licensing -> Application Forms -> SRG 1105 is the PPL
application, SRG 1106 the R/T license.) Furthermore, training records
are transferable between schools.

Some clubs may raise an eyebrow and/or require you to become a member,
but ultimately it's money for them. You'll have to pay the exam fees,
which vary between schools but shouldn't be more than about 20-25 quid
per paper and 50 quid or so for the R/T practical - and of course,
they'll likely be more than happy to arrange ground school sessions for
you if you need any.

Ross
Ross Younger news#***@crazyscot.com (if N fails, try N+1)
a***@yahoo.com
2006-11-29 18:43:13 UTC
Post by Ross Younger
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
Hi Ross,

And thanks for the reply.

Funnily, the first school I'd been emailing about this, went all 'cold'
when I mentioned that I may just like to take the exams at their school
(they said the exams are only for their students).

Can anyone recommend a decent school in the South East for this purpose
?? i.e just to take (and pass) the written exams ??
Peter
2006-11-29 16:57:55 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
And thanks for the reply.
Funnily, the first school I'd been emailing about this, went all 'cold'
when I mentioned that I may just like to take the exams at their school
(they said the exams are only for their students).
Can anyone recommend a decent school in the South East for this purpose
?? i.e just to take (and pass) the written exams ??
Does your email address work for real?

Some people might want to send you private comments.

It's true that most schools prefer to do some flying while the student
is working through the exams. If nothing else (like keeping the money
coming in :)) it does make the study less sterile because one can see
how some of it fits together with reality. Just swatting for the PPL,
in isolation, has got to be seriously tedious.

If you do a JAA PPL in the USA, *try* to get yourself an FAA PPL at
the same time. The extra cost should be close to zero, and take it
from me you will not regret it.

Peter.
E-mail replies to ***@peter2000AB.co.uk but remove the A and the B.
NoSpam
2006-11-29 22:53:23 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Ross Younger
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
Old Sarum (near Salisbury; South rather than South East). 01722-322525
or ***@oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk

Dave
Geo
2006-11-30 16:15:01 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Funnily, the first school I'd been emailing about this, went all 'cold'
when I mentioned that I may just like to take the exams at their school
(they said the exams are only for their students).
In the case of our club - very true - since there is no charge for exams (apart
from RT practical carried out externally).

Geo
Simon Hobson
2006-11-30 21:56:20 UTC
Post by Ross Younger
Furthermore, training records
are transferable between schools.
Though some 'less reputable' establishment places will tell you otherwise.
I've had that, the school (or rather the lying b***ard proprietor)
effectively refused to hand over my records when I wanted to move (local
politics amongst other things). I was also advised by others 'in the know'
that there was little I could do in practice (such as complaining to the CAA)
since that might result in them 'getting mislaid'.

As it happens, the move didn't work out anyway for other reasons.