Any W&B calculators that work in 640x480 on HP4700 PDA?
Peter
2006-11-11 11:34:40 UTC
I am after a simple W&B calculator for a PDA, with a few E6B
calculations (density altitude, say) but nothing else.

I am looking at various candidates that appear to offer a graphical
W&B envelope display:

Aeroplanner
Airplan
Flightcalc
Load Balance
NavigaCE
Niborex
PocketFMS
SA Flightcalc
Teletype GPS
WingX

I recall trying Flightcalc a while ago and it was clearly hard-coded
for 320x240...

Obviously I have written to these firms but one rarely gets a
meaningful reply. I am just trying to avoid spending a whole day
downloading and installing free trial versions :)

Thank you for any feedback...

Peter.
E-mail replies to ***@peter2000AB.co.uk but remove the A and the B.
Juan Jimenez
2006-11-11 15:48:44 UTC
Why not do one yourself? If it's an HP4700 it runs Windows for PDA's and
should support both Java and .NET. I can send you some code to get started,
at one point I was doing a clone of the one Sporty's sells (the handheld
dedicated one with the terrible screen). I don't have time to deal with that
anymore. Needs work, but it's a starting point if you're interested.
Jose
2006-11-11 16:14:15 UTC
Post by Peter
I am after a simple W&B calculator for a PDA, with a few E6B
calculations (density altitude, say) but nothing else.
Try CoPilot, for the palm. It does more than just w&b, but you don't
have to use it. IT is outstandingly excellent though.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Peter
2006-11-11 16:19:00 UTC
Post by Jose
Post by Peter
I am after a simple W&B calculator for a PDA, with a few E6B
calculations (density altitude, say) but nothing else.
Try CoPilot, for the palm. It does more than just w&b, but you don't
have to use it. IT is outstandingly excellent though.
I used to use CoPilot on a *Palm* and it was exactly what I am now
after, but the HP4700 is Pocket/PC.
Jose
2006-11-11 16:25:20 UTC
Post by Peter
I used to use CoPilot on a *Palm* and it was exactly what I am now
after, but the HP4700 is Pocket/PC.
Alas and alak.

If it can run excel, you can dummy one up pretty quickly. There is one
at http://www.flying20club.org. At the top, click on "our aircraft",
then at the bottom of that prose, click on any of the actual aircraft.
There are "bring up spreadsheet" links I've set up for our aircraft.
The "new style" one has the graph.

You are welcome to use them as templates, download the spreadsheet and
update it with your own aircraft info, and TEST it. The lawyers are
going to make me emphasize that it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that
your W&B is correct, and that this spreadsheet implies no legal
obligation or liability on our part.

But you knew that.

Jose
Tim Ward
2006-11-11 16:32:12 UTC
Post by Jose
If it can run excel, you can dummy one up pretty quickly.
(etc etc)

I'm missing something here. Unless I've completely misunderstood the
context, W&B for a light single is a couple of minutes with pencil and
paper. What's the need for computer gadgets?
--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor
j***@specsol.spam.sux.com
2006-11-11 16:55:03 UTC
Post by Tim Ward
Post by Jose
If it can run excel, you can dummy one up pretty quickly.
(etc etc)
I'm missing something here. Unless I've completely misunderstood the
context, W&B for a light single is a couple of minutes with pencil and
paper. What's the need for computer gadgets?
Well, no one NEEDS a powered lawn mower either.

It is a matter of convience.

A decent utility is usually faster than pencil and paper and less error
prone.

A graphical display give you a better feel for where you are in the
envelope.

Ones like copilot that are integrated in the planning will show you
your WB on the ramp, TO, and landing automatically, which is a big
plus for some aircraft.

The speed of doing the calculations makes it easier to shuffle people,
baggage, and fuel to get within the envelope.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Tim Ward
2006-11-11 17:13:08 UTC
Post by j***@specsol.spam.sux.com
A graphical display give you a better feel for where you are in the
envelope.
Well, if you're doing it with pencil and paper you've got the graph in the
POH in front of you anyway, so you know exactly where you are in the
envelope.
Post by j***@specsol.spam.sux.com
The speed of doing the calculations makes it easier to shuffle people,
baggage, and fuel to get within the envelope.
Yes, if you have that many options. Like I said, maybe I was missing the
context - if you've got something with lots of seats and lots of fuel tanks
and the option of carrying a non-trivial amount of baggage then that's
beyond weekend local flying in a 172.
Cambridge City Councillor
j***@specsol.spam.sux.com
2006-11-11 17:55:03 UTC
Post by Tim Ward
Post by j***@specsol.spam.sux.com
A graphical display give you a better feel for where you are in the
envelope.
Well, if you're doing it with pencil and paper you've got the graph in the
POH in front of you anyway, so you know exactly where you are in the
envelope.
Well, yes after you plot your calculations on the graph.

However, if you put the actual points on the graph, you'd better be
using copies or the graph is going to get really tattered after a
while.
Post by Tim Ward
Post by j***@specsol.spam.sux.com
The speed of doing the calculations makes it easier to shuffle people,
baggage, and fuel to get within the envelope.
Yes, if you have that many options. Like I said, maybe I was missing the
context - if you've got something with lots of seats and lots of fuel tanks
and the option of carrying a non-trivial amount of baggage then that's
beyond weekend local flying in a 172.
I doubt most people do a WB for weekend local flying in anything as the
conditions are probably the same as they were the last 50 times they
did it.

The situations where a WB tool becomes handy is when the brother-in-law
and his wife show up and you need to juggle fuel or if you have one of
those A/C where you can take off within the envelope, burn fuel, and
be out of the envelope.

Some people find such tools handy, if you don't, don't use one.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
John R. Copeland
2006-11-11 17:02:45 UTC
Post by Tim Ward
Post by Jose
If it can run excel, you can dummy one up pretty quickly.
(etc etc)
I'm missing something here. Unless I've completely misunderstood the
context, W&B for a light single is a couple of minutes with pencil and
paper. What's the need for computer gadgets?
--
Tim Ward
Peter, the original poster, didn't specify a light single.
I don't know about Peter, but I fly a light twin, with five fuel tanks,
four baggage locations, and three rows of seats.
I use my own, purpose-written Excel spreadsheet in my PDA,
for both weight AND balance, on virtually every flight,
except for occasional flights without baggage or passengers.
With the spreadsheet, I juggle baggage locations for balance,
and I adjust fuel load to stay within max-gross weight limits.
For me, it saves much more than "a couple of minutes with pencil...".
john smith
2006-11-11 17:09:47 UTC
Post by Tim Ward
I'm missing something here. Unless I've completely misunderstood the
context, W&B for a light single is a couple of minutes with pencil and
paper. What's the need for computer gadgets?
Six seats, four fuel tanks, fore and aft baggage compartments.
Calculate hourly W&B for fuel burn, adjust pax seat postions to allow
best outcome.
Tim Ward
2006-11-11 17:13:58 UTC
Post by john smith
Post by Tim Ward
I'm missing something here. Unless I've completely misunderstood the
context, W&B for a light single is a couple of minutes with pencil and
paper. What's the need for computer gadgets?
Six seats, four fuel tanks, fore and aft baggage compartments.
Calculate hourly W&B for fuel burn, adjust pax seat postions to allow
best outcome.
Ah! That explains the desire not to do it with pencil and paper.
Cambridge City Councillor
Roy N5804F
2006-11-11 18:39:24 UTC
Here is a link.
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=20713&associateid=9

And to the person who likes pen and paper - It's 2006 !

Now where is that fireproof suit !
--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F
Cambridge City Councillor
Peter
2006-11-11 20:57:19 UTC
Post by Roy N5804F
Here is a link.
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=20713&associateid=9
And to the person who likes pen and paper - It's 2006 !
That one doesn't appear to have a graphical W&B.

I am the original "Peter" who asked the question. The reason for this
is a bit perverse. I am after this mainly for my FAA CPL
oral+checkride. The examiner will want me to work it out properly, and
an electronic thingy is nice and quick.

I fly a Socata TB20 and I know (from a W&B program on my flight
planning tool, Navbox) that it is just about impossible to load it
outside the envelope, without exceeding the MTOW at the same time. To
do it, you would need to load the luggage compartment to the
structural limit of the floor, then load the back seats to their
structural limit (250kg or so), not carry much fuel, and have a 45kg
female pilot in the front :) So in reality just adding up the weight
of people+fuel and subtracting it from 500kg does the job, but that
won't cut any ice with the DPE.

The other thing, as I wrote, was that I would like something that runs
in 640x480 mode. I did actually email everybody and so far only one,
FlyteBalance, confirms that it does. If I wasn't bothered about the
640x480, loads of programs would do it. The problem is that most
pocket/pc applications are hard-coded for a 320x240 screen, so, at
best, the entire program appears in the top left 1/4 of the screen.
It's OK, I have an email program already that does that.

I don't like the manual way of working it out - especially if one is
using the "slanted graph" representation where the x axis is the
turning moment. That is the presentation in my FAA flight manual too
and it's a pig to do by hand, for every little item including the 2kg
of TKS de-ice fluid.

In reality I work it out with a calculator, because the PDA battery is
usually flat when i need it.
Peter
2006-11-11 22:04:17 UTC
Unfortunately, Flytebalance (just installed & uninstalled it) is hard
coded for 320x240... same as nearly everything around.
John T
2006-11-13 13:05:06 UTC
Post by Peter
Unfortunately, Flytebalance (just installed & uninstalled it) is hard
coded for 320x240... same as nearly everything around.
Actually, it's not hard-coded. :)

However, the .NET Compact Framework 1.1 doesn't automatically resize various
graphical controls when running apps on a VGA screen. Installing the .NET
Compact Framework v2 resolves that issue.

Thanks for trying it, though!

I'm not just a satisfied user. I'm the author. :)
--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer
____________________
Peter
2006-11-13 14:10:20 UTC
Post by John T
Post by Peter
Unfortunately, Flytebalance (just installed & uninstalled it) is hard
coded for 320x240... same as nearly everything around.
Actually, it's not hard-coded. :)
However, the .NET Compact Framework 1.1 doesn't automatically resize various
graphical controls when running apps on a VGA screen. Installing the .NET
Compact Framework v2 resolves that issue.
Thanks for trying it, though!
I'm not just a satisfied user. I'm the author. :)
I wondered if you would wonder in here, John :)

There is a lot of variation in this. A number of old pocket/pc apps
run in 640x480 (historically, on Toshiba E800 and then the HP4700, and
now there are a few more about) without problems, and they presumably
predate MS .NET. Examples are Oziexplorer, Memory Map, and various
others.

The majority of pocket/pc apps do a "halfway" thing, which is to
display themselves in the top left 1/4 of the screen, while placing
their bottom toolbar buttons in the right place at the very bottom of
the physical screen. Yours does this too.

A few appear completely in the top left 1/4, buttons and all.

No pocket/pc applications I have seen actually resize their icons,
i.e. none look the same in 640x480 as they do in 320x240. I think
TomTom 5 gets closest to this, but then TT5 doesn't seem to use the
standard pocket/pc graphical objects anyway.

I was unable to install .NET v2 on the HP4700 - the install crashes.
It's a big object - the download is 25MB.

I am not a Windows programmer but I guess a lot of people make the
win32 API calls directly, rather than using .NET.
John T
2006-11-13 17:45:03 UTC
Post by Peter
No pocket/pc applications I have seen actually resize their icons,
i.e. none look the same in 640x480 as they do in 320x240. I think
TomTom 5 gets closest to this, but then TT5 doesn't seem to use the
standard pocket/pc graphical objects anyway.
As you've discovered, there are several ways to handle higher resolutions.
The underlying OS calls don't account for different screen sizes or
orientations. That's the developer's job. :)

For another non-aviation app, I actually did include 32x32 icons for when
the app was running in VGA mode for precisely the reason you mentioned
(image quality).
Post by Peter
I was unable to install .NET v2 on the HP4700 - the install crashes.
It's a big object - the download is 25MB.
That's disappointing. I looked at the FlyteBalance code again just to be
sure and I definitely do not take resolution into account so the .NET CF v2
is most assuredly resizing the icons appropriately. (Under the hood, it
recognizes FlyteBalance and a v1.1 app and assumes control-resizling must be
needed.)
Post by Peter
I am not a Windows programmer but I guess a lot of people make the
win32 API calls directly, rather than using .NET.
Yeah, see my first point above. :) Most PPC/SmartPhone apps are still C++,
but .NET is catching on quickly.
____________________
Peter
2006-11-13 19:19:09 UTC
Post by John T
Post by Peter
No pocket/pc applications I have seen actually resize their icons,
i.e. none look the same in 640x480 as they do in 320x240. I think
TomTom 5 gets closest to this, but then TT5 doesn't seem to use the
standard pocket/pc graphical objects anyway.
As you've discovered, there are several ways to handle higher resolutions.
The underlying OS calls don't account for different screen sizes or
orientations. That's the developer's job. :)
You are probably the only person to provide bigger icons for a 640x480
mode. That's good, but very unusual. Most apps (that do run in VGA)
have icons too small to see properly, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff
for the increased usable screen area - especially with any sort of
moving map product.
Post by Peter
I was unable to install .NET v2 on the HP4700 - the install crashes.
It's a big object - the download is 25MB.
That's disappointing. I looked at the FlyteBalance code again just to be
sure and I definitely do not take resolution into account so the .NET CF v2
is most assuredly resizing the icons appropriately. (Under the hood, it
recognizes FlyteBalance and a v1.1 app and assumes control-resizling must be
needed.)
My HP4700 has 64MB of RAM & WM2003 SE v 4.21.1088 build 15045.2.6.0

I do have a fair # of other apps on there already. 4.90MB is free
(storage) and 8.38MB (programs). Not enough for .NET evidently.
Post by John T
Post by Peter
I am not a Windows programmer but I guess a lot of people make the
win32 API calls directly, rather than using .NET.
Yeah, see my first point above. :) Most PPC/SmartPhone apps are still C++,
but .NET is catching on quickly.
I spoke to someone today who has ported various C/C++ programs to PPC.
He has always used the MFC stuff for windoze user interface creation,
and that ports well to PPC. With the appropriate screen calls to get
the current screen size, one can work in 640x480. But M$ is trying to
get everybody to use .NET now. This may be OK on a PC (where the ~
150MB runtime is tolerable, and (like with Java) it's a fair
assumption that most people will eventually have it) but on a PPC it
is quite limiting. The latest .NET will eat up a lot of memory.
John T
2006-11-14 04:57:39 UTC
Post by Peter
My HP4700 has 64MB of RAM & WM2003 SE v 4.21.1088 build 15045.2.6.0
I do have a fair # of other apps on there already. 4.90MB is free
(storage) and 8.38MB (programs). Not enough for .NET evidently.
With the appropriate screen calls to get
the current screen size, one can work in 640x480. But M$ is trying to
get everybody to use .NET now. This may be OK on a PC (where the ~
150MB runtime is tolerable, and (like with Java) it's a fair
assumption that most people will eventually have it) but on a PPC it
is quite limiting. The latest .NET will eat up a lot of memory.
Just to clarify, the actual Compact Framework v2 installer is about 2MB in
size. The full download from Microsoft includes installers for several
different platforms, documentation, etc. that bloat its size.

Also, PocketPC 2003 and Windows Mobile 5 do ship with a version of the CF
installed, it's just that it's outdated. Windows Mobile 5 devices also don't
have a distinction between ROM and RAM.
____________________
Peter
2006-11-12 17:30:00 UTC
In case anyone is interested, I settled on FlightCalc. It does the
whole job OK.

It has a European airports database which seems OK for the UK but
elsewhere a load of smaller airports are missing. Anyway, I don't need
this.

Like most pocket/pc apps it is still hard coded for 320x240 but
curiously its W&B graph comes up in full 640x480. It is much easier to
use in 320x240 though.

A lot of the other progs need Micro$oft NET framework version 1,2, or
3 and installing that overflows the memory on the PDA... The HP 4700
is not exactly low-end so I don't know why programmers need to use
these bloated software libraries (25MB) just to develop a trivial
program like this.
Juan Jimenez
2006-11-13 15:23:56 UTC
Post by Peter
In case anyone is interested, I settled on FlightCalc. It does the
whole job OK.
It has a European airports database which seems OK for the UK but
elsewhere a load of smaller airports are missing. Anyway, I don't need
this.
Like most pocket/pc apps it is still hard coded for 320x240 but
curiously its W&B graph comes up in full 640x480. It is much easier to
use in 320x240 though.
A lot of the other progs need Micro$oft NET framework version 1,2, or
3 and installing that overflows the memory on the PDA... The HP 4700
is not exactly low-end so I don't know why programmers need to use
these bloated software libraries (25MB) just to develop a trivial
program like this.
.Net for the Windows mobile o/s is not nearly that big, Peter. The 4700 must
be an earlier model with low memory capacity.
Hilton
2006-11-14 00:29:03 UTC
Peter,
Post by Peter
The other thing, as I wrote, was that I would like something that runs
in 640x480 mode. I did actually email everybody and so far only one,
FlyteBalance, confirms that it does.
I seem to recall replying to your email(s). If not, sorry about that, but
yes, WingX will work with 640x480 and 480x640 (portrait/landscape).
Post by Peter
I don't like the manual way of working it out - especially if one is
using the "slanted graph" representation where the x axis is the
turning moment.
WingX 2.0 allows you to view the W&B graph by reference to weight or moment;
i.e. slanted and not slanted. FYI: WingX 2.0 also adds helicopter (lateral)
W&B.

Thanks,

Hilton
Newps
2006-11-11 18:06:00 UTC
Post by Peter
I am after a simple W&B calculator for a PDA, with a few E6B
calculations (density altitude, say) but nothing else.
I am looking at various candidates that appear to offer a graphical
Aeroplanner
Airplan
Flightcalc
Load Balance
NavigaCE
Niborex
PocketFMS
SA Flightcalc
Teletype GPS
WingX
I recall trying Flightcalc a while ago and it was clearly hard-coded
for 320x240...
Obviously I have written to these firms but one rarely gets a
meaningful reply. I am just trying to avoid spending a whole day
downloading and installing free trial versions :)
Thank you for any feedback...
I have WingX. It is, by far, the most extensive program out there. But
it does far more than you ask. Most aircraft are already in its
database and it shows weight and balance both in text form and as a
series of points on a graph. I wouldn't have bought it for my 182 where
weight and balance wasn't something I worried about but it comes in
handy for the Bonanza.
Bill
2006-11-14 00:00:55 UTC
I'm looking for a PDA program that will do wifi to allow duats flight
plans to be filed where there is a wireless hotspot like an FBO.

Probably would work thru DUATs.

Should be heavily template driven so that I only have to fill in a few
things.

Bill Hale
John T
2006-11-14 04:33:05 UTC
Post by Bill
Probably would work thru DUATs.
Should be heavily template driven so that I only have to fill in a few
things.
So, using DUAT/S itself doesn't make sense? :)
____________________
Dave Butler
2006-11-14 15:21:07 UTC
Post by Bill
I'm looking for a PDA program that will do wifi to allow duats flight
plans to be filed where there is a wireless hotspot like an FBO.
Probably would work thru DUATs.
How about "telnet direct.duats.com"? These PDAs do have telnet, don't they?

Dave
T o d d P a t t i s t
2006-11-14 18:29:03 UTC
Post by Dave Butler
How about "telnet direct.duats.com"? These PDAs do have telnet, don't they?
They don't even have ping installed normally, but there are
several PDA telnet programs you can add.
--
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods. More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine.

Plato, 'Phaedrus.'
Hilton
2006-11-14 00:25:08 UTC
Peter,

WingX is not hard-coded to any specific screen size. It runs just fine on
320x240, 240x320, 240x240, 640x480, 480x640, and 480x480. In fact, WingX
even has the option to automatically change between portrait and landscape -
had that for about a year now if I recall correctly. Route planning, the
METAR List and other features are perfect for portrait-mode. Approach
charts and weather images work just fine in any resolution.

Home page is:
http://www.hiltonsoftware.com

Weight and Balance page is:
http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/FeatureWB.html

You raise a good point - perhaps we should add some information and images
about screen sizes/resolutions to the web site.

Hope this helps,

Hilton
Peter
2006-11-14 10:01:00 UTC
Post by Hilton
WingX is not hard-coded to any specific screen size. It runs just fine on
320x240, 240x320, 240x240, 640x480, 480x640, and 480x480. In fact, WingX
even has the option to automatically change between portrait and landscape -
had that for about a year now if I recall correctly. Route planning, the
METAR List and other features are perfect for portrait-mode. Approach
charts and weather images work just fine in any resolution.
http://www.hiltonsoftware.com
http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/FeatureWB.html
You raise a good point - perhaps we should add some information and images
about screen sizes/resolutions to the web site.
I did consider WingX but didn't try it because I considered it too
expensive for the simple functions I was after. It does a lot more of
course, but as with most American flight planning applications one is
always a bit concerned about the European data accuracy.
Hilton
2006-11-14 10:31:00 UTC
Peter,

I wish we could get our hands on good, reliable, up-to-date non-US data. We
continually get requests from Canada, Australia, Europe, South Africa etc.
We could use 'pilot-constructed' data, but we'd prefer to have accurate
up-to-date data.

Hilton
KevinBlack
2006-11-18 23:21:57 UTC
www.niborex.com

E6B with W&B (free trial and free if you buy their portable copilot)

Pocket FMS (www.pocketfms.com) brilliant free fight planning moving map GPS
etc etc for PC and PDA. I use it exclusively - has W&B with graphs on both
PDA and PC (and did I say it's free). If you pay US$60 you become a donor
get better maps and better bandwidth. It's European (I'm in Australia), but
covers the globe. Great support, active forum monitored almost 24x7 by the
devlopers (yes, you actually talk, well forum, with the guys that write the
software). The W&B is great on the PDA - just select Airplane on the menu -
you can have many aircraft with W&B for each.

Well worth a look - and did I say it's free - I have no other connection
with them other than a happy user.

Got rid of my Garmin GPS III Pilot and replaced it with Pocket FMS - a good
choice. If you own a PDA (I run it on both and ipaq Hx4700 (big screen) and
an imate jam (phone and small screen, but good backup) without problems).

HTH and YMMV...

Cheers,
Kevin
N***@easily.co.uk
2006-12-16 11:23:05 UTC
I've been using the prog (www.pocketfms.com) in the UK for about 3
years and wouldn't consider anything else. Remember you can use it for
free but when you see how well it works you'll want to donate for the
improved maps. Not that there's much wrong with the basic maps.
I do all my flight planning, including holidays abroad, using the
prog.

David
(Scotland, UK)