Another one for ATCO Christophe...
david
2006-07-07 10:12:22 UTC
Vinman, where on earth is "German Corner"?

I often hear a/c being cleared there, and have even been cleared myself once
(which went "Blah blah 123 you are cleared direct german Corner", "Er,
where?", "German Corner", "Oh, erm, where's that?", "You don't know where
german Corner is??"

Well, I never did get there so I still don't know.
Where and why is called GC??
Help!!

David
Gus Cabre
2006-07-07 13:00:26 UTC
I'm not Vinman but from PPRUNE:

German Corner is near Karlsruhe, the actual point is based on the 270 radial
from KRH VOR at 12 miles. It's the sharp corner between France & Germany.
The VOR is a little distance from the corner, but if you are going around
the corner with Rhine ATC, they are amenable to allowing you to go right to
the corner to then head south (or vice versa). They could have put the VOR
right on the country border corner, but presumably that would have part of
the airway straddling the border.

'Hope this helps,

Gus
RAF Coltishall
David
Gus Cabre
2006-07-07 13:25:55 UTC
It should have read:

"I'm not Vinman, but from PPRUNE I have found:"

Please note the "," which makes the statement slightly different.

Gus
RAF Coltishall
David
david

David
VinMan
2006-08-01 12:09:02 UTC
Post by david
Vinman, where on earth is "German Corner"?
Hi there,
as you may have noticed, I'm rather to the **West** of the country and
do not have a clue about whatever location can be found East of Paris,
not to mention Germany !
;)
Nevertheless, as one never knows too much, I'll be glad to read the
Post by david
I often hear a/c being cleared there, and have even been cleared myself once
(which went "Blah blah 123 you are cleared direct german Corner", "Er,
where?", "German Corner", "Oh, erm, where's that?", "You don't know where
german Corner is??"
(How about a poor understanding of a perfectly capable and almost
bilinguial continental Air Traffic Controller ?)
;)
--
VinMan

www.ciel-et-partage.org