faulty Signal R532 - any help/repairs?
bob.martin
2006-12-04 11:33:58 UTC
Dear All,

I have a Signal R532 (A classic!) scanner and it has gone faulty. It powers
up ok and the display and all buttons work fine, it just seems not to tune.
I can change the frequency display with the buttons but this appears to have
no effect on the frequency of operation. I can hear some stations but the
level is very quiet.

It could be out of alignment? I have had the covers off and it looks like
some of the tuning slugs on the coils have been twiddled (not by me!)

I bought it off EBay and was Sold as Seen as I have wanted to add one of
these to my collection.

If anyone can fix it for me there is money waiting!!

I phoned Castle Electronics but they said they were unable to repair these
as parts no longer available and they don't have the schematics

Thanks for any help/suggestions/offers

Jim G7NKS

p.s. I know as a "real ham" I should do it myself blah blah
blah............M3 rant blah........black box....RSCB blah.........dumbing
down....
Neil J
down....
bob.martin
2006-12-04 13:48:01 UTC
Post by bob.martin
up ok and the display and all buttons work fine, it just seems not to
tune.
SNIP
Thanks for this useful info! I put it down to an antipodean sense of humour
fuelled by our rather dismal performance in the cricket.

Jim G7NKS
Nick B.
2006-12-04 19:40:57 UTC
Post by bob.martin
no effect on the frequency of operation. I can hear some stations but the
level is very quiet.
It could be out of alignment? I have had the covers off and it looks like
some of the tuning slugs on the coils have been twiddled (not by me!)
I bought it off EBay and was Sold as Seen as I have wanted to add one of
these to my collection.
If anyone can fix it for me there is money waiting!!
I phoned Castle Electronics but they said they were unable to repair these
as parts no longer available and they don't have the schematics
Thanks for any help/suggestions/offers
You might try Lowe Electronics they were the original importers and
still claim to support them: http://www.lowe.co.uk/retail_secondhand.htm
They might have the servicing info, I got the R535 service manual from
there. They also seem to have a steady turnaround of second hand R532
and R535.

Another site with the operating manuals: http://www.airband-radio.co.uk/

HTH
Nick B.
bob.martin
2006-12-04 21:31:16 UTC
Post by bob.martin
[...]
Indeed it does help! many thanks. I'll put the spark plug wrench away
now!!

I have already tagged thec website that does the manuals thanx

Best regards

Jim G7NKS
Neil J
Jim G7NKS
Opus-
2006-12-05 04:40:50 UTC
Post by bob.martin
p.s. I know as a "real ham" I should do it myself blah blah
blah............M3 rant blah........black box....RSCB blah.........dumbing
down....
It IS getting rather old, isn't it.
--
***@gmail.com
(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.