Finally saw it...
david
2006-08-23 19:52:06 UTC
I was in Manchester tower the other day and saw a return from "dragon". A
U2!!!

He was flying from the staes to Fairford at FL600. Needless to say the ATCO
said, proudly, "I have an aircraft passing FL500...in the descent!" He he!

Silly really, but fun!

Peter
2006-08-24 09:25:08 UTC
Post by david
He was flying from the staes to Fairford at FL600. Needless to say the ATCO
said, proudly, "I have an aircraft passing FL500...in the descent!" He he!
What airspace class is FL600 in the UK? It's class E in the USA so
over there you can fly it VFR.

There is the slight problem of getting up there under VFR, but it
could be done if one goes far enough out of U.S. airspace, at 17999ft,
and then climbs :)
w~s
2006-08-24 14:04:06 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by david
He was flying from the staes to Fairford at FL600. Needless to say the ATCO
said, proudly, "I have an aircraft passing FL500...in the descent!" He he!
What airspace class is FL600 in the UK? It's class E in the USA so
over there you can fly it VFR.
There is the slight problem of getting up there under VFR, but it
could be done if one goes far enough out of U.S. airspace, at 17999ft,
and then climbs :)
SR-71 story

Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600
(60,000ft).

The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, "How do
you plan to get up to 60,000 feet?

The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, "We don't plan to go up to
it; we plan to go down to it."

He was cleared.

Walter
;-)
lomcovak
2006-08-24 15:45:49 UTC
Post by w~s
SR-71 story
Los Angeles Center reported receiving a request for clearance to FL 600
(60,000ft).
The incredulous controller, with some disdain in his voice, asked, "How do
you plan to get up to 60,000 feet?
The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, "We don't plan to go up to
it; we plan to go down to it."
He was cleared.
I always liked the story about one of the B-2's first stealthy flights. Very
early flights were made with the gear down and (I believe) radar reflective
material on the gear doors so that the flights could be tracked. Then they
took up the gear and started flying in full stealth configuration. One of
these flights took the bomber (let's say it's callsign was Spectre One -
can't remember what they actually used) through some civil airspace and, to
be nice an' all, the test pilot made positional reports to the local ATC.
The conversation went something like this:

B2: Spook One is ten miles east of Reno.
ATC: Roger Spook One. Radar contact.

Apparently you could hear the military's stunned silence clear across the
country. Until they realised the controller was kidding...
--
Outside Lomcovak Club - www.lomcovak.com
Screen Eagles - Aviation in the Movies - www.screeneagles.com
VinMan
2006-08-24 20:50:57 UTC
Post by Peter
What airspace class is FL600 in the UK? It's class E in the USA so
over there you can fly it VFR.
In France it's C, so you can too.
One year ago it was still class A, no VFR...
--
VinMan

www.ciel-et-partage.org
L'aviation pour trait d'union
Gus Cabre

and then climbs :)
Ross Younger
2006-08-29 14:12:23 UTC
Post by Gus Cabre
Anything above FL245 is class B in the UK.
That changed to class C earlier this year - check your AICs !

Ross
Ross Younger news#***@crazyscot.com (if N fails, try N+1)
Chris
2006-08-30 17:46:18 UTC
except that VFR flight is not allowed
Gus Cabre
2006-09-03 08:26:38 UTC
Where is the AIC that mentions this? I have been looking for it but can't
find it. In theory we were allowed (VFR) in Class B: is the prohibition "no
VFR in Class C" or "no VFR above FL195"?

Gus
Coltishall
Gus Cabre
2006-09-05 20:02:31 UTC
I found it!! Class C above FL195 does not kick in till next year. It only
covers FL245 and above.

INTRODUCTION OF CLASS C AIRSPACE ABOVE FL245 WITHIN THE LONDON AND SCOTTISH
UIRs
1 Introduction
1.1 As part of a requirement to harmonise ATM across ECAC1 states, the UK
has agreed to introduce a revised Divisional Flight
Level (DFL)2 of FL 195, with Class C airspace above replacing the current
classifications up to FL 660. However, in order to de-conflict
significant changes in airspace structure from other major changes, it has
been decided that the introduction of Class C airspace within
the UK will be introduced in stages. The first stage will involve the
introduction of Class C airspace above the current DFL of FL 245
and the second stage, the introduction of Class C airspace from a lower DFL
of FL 195, will take place at a later date, which will be
predicated on a Single European Sky (SES) airspace classification
regulation. SES development is likely to result in European
regulation of the introduction of Class C above FL 195 by 1 July 2007 and
the CAA will notify separately any resultant requirements.
1.2 Class C airspace will replace all Class B airspace in the London and
Scottish UIRs. Additionally, Class C airspace will be
introduced at lower levels where the provision of ATS is delegated to
neighbouring states. These changes will be effective from 16
March 2006. There are few differences in characteristics between the
existing Class B and the introduction of Class C airspace. Class
C airspace is still an environment where flights are provided with an air
traffic control service with their intentions known to ATC. The
airspace's status above FL 245 as a Mandatory Radar Service Area for
military flights remains unchanged.
1.3 Whilst this Policy Statement contains some generic material for flight
within Class C airspace at all levels, it is published to
facilitate the introduction of Class C above FL 245. The policy will be
revised to detail the arrangements for the lowering of the DFL to FL 195

Gus
Gus Cabre
2006-09-03 08:22:25 UTC
Thanks Ross, I knew the airspace classification was changing but didn't know
it had already done. It is strange now that we don't have B and finally have
C, like most of the world, not that it makes any difference to me as the
highest I will fly is FL100 ;-).

Regards,

Gus
Coltishall
Ross Younger
2006-08-29 14:11:39 UTC
Post by Peter
What airspace class is FL600 in the UK? It's class E in the USA so
over there you can fly it VFR.
We're class C from FL195-FL660 and class G above that.

Ross
Ross Younger news#***@crazyscot.com (if N fails, try N+1)
Peter
2006-09-09 18:48:52 UTC
Post by Ross Younger
Post by Peter
What airspace class is FL600 in the UK? It's class E in the USA so
over there you can fly it VFR.
We're class C from FL195-FL660 and class G above that.
It's all a bit silly in the UK, where Class D is operated as if it was
Class C.

Cynthia Reid
2006-08-24 19:16:00 UTC
About 3 or 4 years ago I was listening on my airband from Dorset where I
used to get the oceanic traffic coming in and out, presumably via Swanwick.
About midnight I heard ATC clear something to "FL 600 with unlimited climb
beyond"!!!!! The callsign sounded like Goose...
Shortly afterward he was told to change to a frequency I didn't recognise -
presumably UHF. I hadn't a clue what it was, but maybe a U2? Any other
suggestions?

Cynthia G-TRIO