succinct explanation of UK IMC rating
Ric
2007-02-03 21:19:31 UTC
Is there a succinct justificaiton for the UK IMC rating anywhere on the web?
Or can anybody explain how it arose and its justification? I used to hold
one many years ago when I lived in the UK and from what I remember it was a
useful stepping stone to IR.

Thanks from a now non-UK JAR pilot..
NoSpam
2007-02-04 11:08:49 UTC
Post by Ric
Is there a succinct justificaiton for the UK IMC rating anywhere on the web?
Or can anybody explain how it arose and its justification? I used to hold
one many years ago when I lived in the UK and from what I remember it was a
useful stepping stone to IR.
Thanks from a now non-UK JAR pilot..
Go to the CAA website and search for CAP393 (the ANO) and for LASORS -
together they will give you what you need - possibly not regarded as
succinct.

Dave
Peter
2007-02-04 12:48:59 UTC
Post by Ric
Is there a succinct justificaiton for the UK IMC rating anywhere on the web?
Or can anybody explain how it arose and its justification? I used to hold
one many years ago when I lived in the UK and from what I remember it was a
useful stepping stone to IR.
Thanks from a now non-UK JAR pilot..
Legally its privileges are identical to an IR except:

- IFR privileges limited to UK airspace

- no Class A

- min 1800m reported ground visibility for IFR departure or arrival

- the JAA IR absolves the pilot from the 3/90d night currency
requirement for passenger carriage, but the IMC-R does not do this

There is an ADVISORY from the CAA that one should add 500ft to
published approach plate decision heights etc but this is not LAW; it
is not in the ANO.

In a separate part of the ANO, the IMC-R removes the 3000m enroute
visibility requirement for VFR flight (I believe this 3000m is common
to all JAA PPLs) thus returning the PPL holder to the basic ICAO VMC
figure of 1500m for VFR flight. It also removes the UK issued PPL
requirement to be in sight of the surface. The stuff in this paragraph
doesn't have a territorial restriction and is thus valid worldwide. So
you can fly VMC above an overcast layer where not locally prohibited
(e.g. France). This is the subject of much contention but I have it in
writing from the CAA.

The IMC-R also affects min vis requirements under SVFR but I never
understood SVFR :)

I believe the above is correct; no doubt somebody will correct me,
with references, if not :)

The IMC-R is a stepping stone to an IR in the sense of instrument
experience but the training doesn't (currently, AFAIK) count towards
the JAA IR. It fully counts towards the FAA IR though.

There is no clear list of the IMC Rating privileges in the ANO,
because the ANO is written mostly in reverse: it lists prohibitions
and you have to work out what isn't prohibited in what circumstances.
Ric
2007-02-05 07:20:21 UTC
Thanks. Are IMC rated pilots allowed to fly ILS approaches? I can't remember
having done one when I did my IMC.
Peter
2007-02-05 10:19:28 UTC
Post by Ric
Thanks. Are IMC rated pilots allowed to fly ILS approaches? I can't remember
having done one when I did my IMC.
Yes, there is no restriction on type of IAP.

The restrictions are as I listed, IIRC, and everything not banned is
permitted.
Ross Younger
2007-02-05 11:06:13 UTC
Post by Ric
Thanks. Are IMC rated pilots allowed to fly ILS approaches? I can't remember
having done one when I did my IMC.
The ANO says nothing about particular types of approach being allowed
or disallowed, so by inference the answer is yes, provided they comply
with the restrictions of the IMCR as documented earlier in the thread.

Ross
Ross Younger news#***@crazyscot.com (if N fails, try N+1)
Julian Scarfe
2007-02-04 18:12:08 UTC
Post by Ric
Is there a succinct justificaiton for the UK IMC rating anywhere on the
web? Or can anybody explain how it arose and its justification? I used to
hold one many years ago when I lived in the UK and from what I remember it
was a useful stepping stone to IR.
My recollection of the story is that the UK PPL was originally unrestricted
for flight outside controlled airspace. When PPLs started killing
themselves in VFR-into-IMC accidents, a minimum flight vis of 1.5 nm was
introduced, with the IMC rating lifting that minimum after 15 hours of
instrument training. In those days the IMC rating offered no privileges at
all within controlled airspace (of which there was substantially less).

I can't offer a reference for that, I'm afraid.

Julian
Peter
2007-02-04 22:23:40 UTC
Post by Julian Scarfe
My recollection of the story is that the UK PPL was originally unrestricted
for flight outside controlled airspace. When PPLs started killing
themselves in VFR-into-IMC accidents, a minimum flight vis of 1.5 nm was
introduced, with the IMC rating lifting that minimum after 15 hours of
instrument training. In those days the IMC rating offered no privileges at
all within controlled airspace (of which there was substantially less).
How long ago was this? I bet it was many years ago, maybe 30 or more?

A very different age (and attitudes to risk) from today!
Julian Scarfe
2007-02-07 09:22:37 UTC
I would imagine so. I'll ask elsewhere.
Julian Scarfe
2007-02-07 12:06:48 UTC
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3112484&postcount=3
Peter
2007-02-07 16:48:53 UTC
Post by Julian Scarfe
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3112484&postcount=3
Thank you Julian - fascinating.

Shows how perception of risk has changed in the last 30-40 years.