Question about a Spitire belly-landing
D. St-Sanvain
2006-10-04 19:34:01 UTC
Hello,

I forward a question asked after my posting of Spitfire pictures.
I'm looking for some information about a two-seater Spitfire which
performed a gear-up landing some years ago, during an airshow.
It may have occured 10/12 years ago, as I remember having seen some
pictures of the landing, probably in Fly Past magazine, and my first
trip to Duxford, where I may have bought it, was in 1996. I can't
remember which version it was (with two classical canopies, like PT462
SW-A and ML407 OU-V, or a bubbled one like PV202/161 or MJ627 9G-P),
but I remember a picture showing the rear canopy being dropped just
before the landing, a caption about the prices of the matches which
could be made with the propeller being broken, and also a well-known
pilot, with a remarkable but forgotten nickname, whom I have often seen
in aviation magazines.
Could someone say where and when it occured, and which aircraft it was
?

Thanks in advance :)
--
D520
Site & chat : http://d520.online.fr
http://tagazous.free.fr/affichage.php?photographe=D.%20St-Sanvain
Rob
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/spitfiremk2a/my-history-mj627.html
D. St-Sanvain
2006-10-05 20:21:50 UTC
Hello,
Post by Rob
Post by D. St-Sanvain
I'm looking for some information about a two-seater Spitfire which
performed a gear-up landing some years ago, during an airshow.
a well-known pilot, with a remarkable but
forgotten nickname,
Coventry .. see
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/spitfiremk2a/my-history-mj627.html
That's it, thanks. The nickname is "The Major".

Bye
Rob
2006-10-05 20:46:20 UTC
Post by D. St-Sanvain
Hello,
Post by Rob
Post by D. St-Sanvain
I'm looking for some information about a two-seater Spitfire which
performed a gear-up landing some years ago, during an airshow.
a well-known pilot, with a remarkable but forgotten nickname,
Coventry .. see
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/spitfiremk2a/my-history-mj627.html
That's it, thanks. The nickname is "The Major".
We had in our Hangar for quite a while. The owners face was not a
pretty sight when the U/C jammed.

www.covaero.com