Was it a Dakota?
g***@hotmail.com
2007-04-12 19:17:27 UTC
My wife and I walked through a Dakota whilst on a visit to Elvington
air museum. She happened to mention that when she was younger she
boarded a "sloping" aircraft in 1963 for a holiday flight from
Newcastle to Jersey. Could it have been a Dakota operating such a
flight?

Thanks

Mike
Peter Twydell
2007-04-12 22:46:18 UTC
Post by g***@hotmail.com
My wife and I walked through a Dakota whilst on a visit to Elvington
air museum. She happened to mention that when she was younger she
boarded a "sloping" aircraft in 1963 for a holiday flight from
Newcastle to Jersey. Could it have been a Dakota operating such a
flight?
Thanks
Mike
BKS flew services on that route using Dakotas, but I'm not sure of the
dates.

It might have been this one:
http://website.lineone.net/~biggles200/G_AMSH.htm

or this one:
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1005500/
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Clive - Selectron
2007-04-13 08:40:37 UTC
Dakotas were also flying from Rochester, Kent
to Guernsey at that time...it was my first flight
and most entertaining taking off from a grass strip
and watching rivets slowly revolving in the wing
due to the vibration as we climbed.
The flight back was DC3 to Solton then transfer
to a twin engine biplane which could have been a Rapide?
Memory fails me but I do recall seeing the exhaust manifold
on my side appear to become slightly less than integral with
the engine which was brought to the pilot's attention who said
not to worry, it's always doing that.
Happy days.
--
Clive P Norris
Managing Director
Mike
solinus
2007-04-14 10:36:11 UTC
In the 50's I flew a few times with BKS from Belfast to Edinburgh and
from what I can remember the aircraft was a Dakota - DC3 or as the
military termed it Goony Bird.
Mike Lindsay
2007-04-14 21:00:53 UTC
Post by Clive - Selectron
Dakotas were also flying from Rochester, Kent
to Guernsey at that time...it was my first flight
and most entertaining taking off from a grass strip
and watching rivets slowly revolving in the wing
due to the vibration as we climbed.
The flight back was DC3 to Solton then transfer
to a twin engine biplane which could have been a Rapide?
Memory fails me but I do recall seeing the exhaust manifold
on my side appear to become slightly less than integral with
the engine which was brought to the pilot's attention who said
not to worry, it's always doing that.
Happy days.
We had a family holiday in Knokke le Zoote in about 1949. My mother had
a rough time with sea sickness on the way out, so we came back by air.
We could have used Sabina, the national airline which were using DC3s,
but my father had heard that there were problems with them; there had
been a number of U/c collapses.
So we came back to Croydon with a firm called Jean Mayeaux Aviation, who
had just the one aircraft, an Anson with about 9 seats. I think it was
Jean himself flying it.
--
Mike Lindsay