Elvington's long runway
John Meredith
2006-08-12 17:51:40 UTC

I've often heard people talk of Elvington's huge runway, with some
people claiming it to be one of the longest in Europe. Surely this is
not the case as I can think of a handful of others (Heathrow, Fairford,
Brize Norton, Boscombe Down) in the UK with equivalent, if not longer,
runways. Not to mention existing airfields which no longer accept
flights (Bedford, Alconbury, Bentwaters, Woodbridge) which also have
very long runways.

Can anyone explain why Elvington is always talked as been so huge? Is
it perhaps due to its width? Looking at Google earth, there seem to be
other runways in the UK which are wider (Filton, Manston), though I may
be wrong!?

Any info appreciated,
John
James Hart
2006-08-12 18:03:11 UTC
Post by John Meredith
Hi,
I've often heard people talk of Elvington's huge runway, with some
people claiming it to be one of the longest in Europe. Surely this is
not the case as I can think of a handful of others (Heathrow,
Fairford, Brize Norton, Boscombe Down) in the UK with equivalent, if
not longer, runways. Not to mention existing airfields which no
longer accept flights (Bedford, Alconbury, Bentwaters, Woodbridge)
which also have very long runways.
Can anyone explain why Elvington is always talked as been so huge? Is
it perhaps due to its width? Looking at Google earth, there seem to
be other runways in the UK which are wider (Filton, Manston), though
I may be wrong!?
Any info appreciated,
John
Whenever I hear talk of Elvington it's always in relation to someone having
a go at a landspeed record or other ground based activity, F1 straightline
testing for example. Maybe it's the longest that people can easily get to
use.
david
2006-08-12 18:34:30 UTC
You want long? Try Fuete Venturer! (spelling? FUE to me). It has had a
recent extension of 1000m and is now so long I can get my airbus full of
peeps off and gear up before the end of the extension alone!!!!

We reckon it's a shuttle alternate.

David
Hi,
John
Greg
2006-08-12 22:29:03 UTC
Post by John Meredith
Can anyone explain why Elvington is always talked as been so huge? Is
it perhaps due to its width? Looking at Google earth, there seem to be
other runways in the UK which are wider (Filton, Manston), though I may
be wrong!?
Yes there are several longer but Elvington is probably unique in that you
can hire it for motorsport activities, land speed record attempts etc and
the surface is in good condition because the US built it for nuclear bombers
but never commisioned it so it's basically a virgin 8-). With it's taxiway
it also makes a very large circuit, and it has by far the largest Apron
which is said to be a land mark from space.

Greg