Flight Computers during Examination
acuba 290
2006-05-31 22:39:44 UTC
Hallo everybody
This is my first tread here :lol:

Can somebody explane me, if it permitted or not to use ASA CX-2 o
Jeppesen Flight computer, (calculator) during theoretical examinatio
in UK
If it permitted, where is possible to get information about it
david
2006-06-01 09:06:16 UTC
Commercial or PPL?

David
Hallo everybody!
Can somebody explane me, if it permitted or not to use ASA CX-2 or
Jeppesen Flight computer, (calculator) during theoretical examination
Chris
2006-06-01 17:20:04 UTC
Hallo everybody!
Can somebody explane me, if it permitted or not to use ASA CX-2 or
Jeppesen Flight computer, (calculator) during theoretical examination
in UK?
If it permitted, where is possible to get information about it?
They are not permitted in either commercial or PPl examinations, need the
appropriate whizz wheel.
Peter
2006-06-02 15:40:28 UTC
Post by Chris
They are not permitted in either commercial or PPl examinations, need the
appropriate whizz wheel.
I am pleased to report that the *FAA* have moved to the 20th century,
and one can sit FAA written exams in the UK.
Alt Beer
Are there any on-line test papers for the FAA PPL exam?
Peter
2006-06-02 21:14:48 UTC
Post by Alt Beer
Are there any on-line test papers for the FAA PPL exam?
There are a number of free websites with the FAA question bank but
only for the FAA PPL. I haven't seen them for the FAA IR. However, you
can buy the ASA book+CD package (among others) for about 50 quid -
cheap at twice the price. I gave mine away recently...
Chris
For the FAA exams all the way up to ATPL try www.FAAtest.com
Chris
You always have been able to sit the FAA exams in the UK
Peter
2006-06-03 10:41:04 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Peter
I am pleased to report that the *FAA* have moved to the 20th century,
and one can sit FAA written exams in the UK.
You always have been able to sit the FAA exams in the UK
Yes, I was referring to the fact that you can sit both in the UK, but
the CAA requires you to use the ex-WW1 circular slide rule, whereas
the FAA allows you to use the somewhat more modern methods :)

Still, nothing sorts the real men from the sheep like the slide rule,
doesn't it :)
Jeroen Wenting
2006-06-11 15:03:26 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Chris
Post by Peter
I am pleased to report that the *FAA* have moved to the 20th century,
and one can sit FAA written exams in the UK.
You always have been able to sit the FAA exams in the UK
Yes, I was referring to the fact that you can sit both in the UK, but
the CAA requires you to use the ex-WW1 circular slide rule, whereas
the FAA allows you to use the somewhat more modern methods :)
Still, nothing sorts the real men from the sheep like the slide rule,
doesn't it :)
You won't however be able to fly a EU registered aircraft if you hold only
an FAA license.
You'll need to pass the CAA/JAA exams as well (though you may get credit for
some parts), in part because the US regulations are far too lax.
Peter
2006-06-11 19:45:59 UTC
Post by Jeroen Wenting
You won't however be able to fly a EU registered aircraft if you hold only
an FAA license.
You can fly a G-reg worldwide on any ICAO PPL, without any additional
process.

This isn't true for other European countries, but it's true for UK
registered aircraft.
Post by Jeroen Wenting
You'll need to pass the CAA/JAA exams as well (though you may get credit for
some parts),
That's true if you want to *convert* an ICAO PPL (e.g. an FAA PPL)
into a JAA PPL. There is no real conversion process; you have to do
most of it all again. But unless you want to fly for example
F-registered aircraft, there is no point; the FAA PPL does fine.
Post by Jeroen Wenting
in part because the US regulations are far too lax.
That's rubbish. I hold both UK and US licenses so I know what is
involved.
Chris
2006-06-11 20:02:18 UTC
Post by Jeroen Wenting
in part because the US regulations are far too lax.
That's rubbish. I hold both UK and US licenses so I know what is
involved.
I agree, to say the FAA is lax is rubbish. Their approach is different, some
would say more practical. If their standards were lax then the various
authorities would not be allowing US registered planes with US pilots in the
same airspace as JAA pilots and planes. They seem to happily co-exist.
Peter
2006-06-11 21:04:53 UTC
Post by Chris
I agree, to say the FAA is lax is rubbish. Their approach is different, some
would say more practical. If their standards were lax then the various
authorities would not be allowing US registered planes with US pilots in the
same airspace as JAA pilots and planes. They seem to happily co-exist.
The other thing is that about 90% of the world's GA traffic flies
under FAA rules, and we don't see them plummetting out of the sky
everywhere.

In fact there is no statistically different safety record. Certain UK
govt departments have even looked around for such data (to help them
kick out N-reg planes) but failed to find any.

There is a big difference in style, in the way the whole training and
checkride process is done, and the very WW2-traditional Euro
administrators don't like that. They have watched all the John Wayne
films and think the Americans are a load of cowboys.

If it wasn't for the ICAO treaty, we would have a lot fewer privileges
in protectionist Europe.
Greg
2006-06-11 23:16:30 UTC
Post by Peter
They have watched all the John Wayne
films and think the Americans are a load of cowboys.
I've just watched the documentary on their shooting down of the Iranian
airliner and I'm convinced they're a bunch of cowboys 8-(.

Greg