EUROCONTROL - General Aviation Survey 2007
CrossPoint
2007-08-06 08:25:54 UTC
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to invite you to participate in the General Aviation
Survey 2007 at http://www.cis.bg/. There are many risks one can face
as a pilot or passenger in the busy European skies. One of those is
mid-air collision. Many factors may cause it. A major one is airspace
infringement.

The survey is being carried out by our company COMPASS IS ® on behalf
of EUROCONTROL - the European Organisation for the Safety of Air
navigation. The survey objective is to improve the understanding of
the airspace infringement issue and identify effective prevention
strategies and means. This survey is part of the EUROCONTROL Airspace
Infringement Safety Improvement Initiative, which aims at developing
and implementing effective risk reduction measures across Europe.

The team of the General Aviation Pilots Survey considers your
expertise and experience in the subject extremely valuable and
important. It will be much helpful to the survey in particular, and
largely to the whole General Aviation community, if you share your
observations on the reasons and explanations of airspace
infringements
- the way you regard them from your perspective in your own flying
environment. Your suggestions about possible safety measures and risk
mitigation will be of great value as well.

Your opinion is important! It will take you less than 20 minutes to
share your experience at http://www.cis.bg/. It's worth doing it. You
could safe many lives!

Your answers will be kept confidential and will be used solely in
support of the airspace infringement risk analysis and mitigation.
Collected information will not be provided to third parties in any
circumstances.

Yours faithfully,
Vladimir Grigorov

Project Manager
COMPASS IS ®
NoSpam
2007-08-06 11:06:45 UTC
Post by CrossPoint
[...]
Vladimir,

I started to complete this questionnaire but it seems very poorly
written and makes too many assumptions - I gave up.

Dave
John L
2007-08-06 11:54:13 UTC
Post by NoSpam
Vladimir,
I started to complete this questionnaire but it seems very poorly
written and makes too many assumptions - I gave up.
Dave
I did complete the questionnaire but with some difficulty. For a lot of
the questions there is no simple, "one size fits all" answer and often
none of the options shown seem to be relevant or likely in the given
scenario. I wonder what the status of this questionnaire is - it seems
rather odd as an official EuroControl effort but then again I've often
been surprised at the things EuroControl does!

John.
NoSpam
2007-08-06 12:08:48 UTC
Post by John L
Post by NoSpam
Vladimir,
I started to complete this questionnaire but it seems very poorly
written and makes too many assumptions - I gave up.
Dave
I did complete the questionnaire but with some difficulty. For a lot of
the questions there is no simple, "one size fits all" answer and often
none of the options shown seem to be relevant or likely in the given
scenario. I wonder what the status of this questionnaire is - it seems
rather odd as an official EuroControl effort but then again I've often
been surprised at the things EuroControl does!
John.
I don't want to be too unkind but it seemed to have been written by
someone who either already knew what decision the questionnaire would
support or who had not been trained in designing questionnaires.

Dave
CrossPoint
2007-08-06 14:40:55 UTC
Post by NoSpam
Post by John L
Post by NoSpam
Vladimir,
I started to complete this questionnaire but it seems very poorly
written and makes too many assumptions - I gave up.
Dave
I did complete the questionnaire but with some difficulty. For a lot of
the questions there is no simple, "one size fits all" answer and often
none of the options shown seem to be relevant or likely in the given
scenario. I wonder what the status of this questionnaire is - it seems
rather odd as an official EuroControl effort but then again I've often
been surprised at the things EuroControl does!
John.
I don't want to be too unkind but it seemed to have been written by
someone who either already knew what decision the questionnaire would
support or who had not been trained in designing questionnaires.
Dave- Скриване на цитирания текст -
- Показване на цитирания текст -
Dave,

I can not agree with this oppinion.

Vladimir
CrossPoint
2007-08-06 14:40:08 UTC
Post by John L
Post by NoSpam
Vladimir,
I started to complete this questionnaire but it seems very poorly
written and makes too many assumptions - I gave up.
Dave
I did complete the questionnaire but with some difficulty. For a lot of
the questions there is no simple, "one size fits all" answer and often
none of the options shown seem to be relevant or likely in the given
scenario. I wonder what the status of this questionnaire is - it seems
rather odd as an official EuroControl effort but then again I've often
been surprised at the things EuroControl does!
John.
Thank you very much. I appreciate that you share your expertise and
you spent some effort.

Vladimir
CrossPoint
2007-08-06 14:39:18 UTC
Post by NoSpam
Post by CrossPoint
[...]
Thanks Dave,

Actually the survey is developed based on the requirements received
from EUROCONTROL and this is just a small part of the whole project
about Airspace Infringement. I will be grateful if you complete the
questionnaire dispite of the problems which you describe.

Vladimir
Peter
2007-08-06 18:53:31 UTC
I completed it, but as the others suggest the questions are not very
well written.

In my view, the reason for airspace busts is simply a NAVIGATION
ERROR. This isn't something that can be fixed with anything simple;
the navigation training (dead reckoning, mostly) within the PPL
syllabus is very basic and relies on people being very careful. But
pilots are not getting any more clever, they are not getting more
currency, the instructors are not getting any better, so airspace
busts will continue and this is simply a problem which has no present
solution.

It will only be in years to come, when GPS has been integrated into
both PPL training and normal usage, been installed in every normal
aircraft, when all the "traditionally minded" pilots have retired from
flying, will there be a reasonable possibility of solving it
comprehensively.

And even then, some people will forget to look at the GPS and will fly
into some piece of controlled airspace.

The new London LARS should help, by picking up lost pilots - assuming
they bothered to establish contact in the first place. But a radar
service isn't really the best way to navigate :)

There is also an assumption in some of the questions that some people
don't regard busts as serious. I have never met any such person. All
pilots I have ever met seem to be utterly petrified of doing a CAS
bust. There was even one accident, near Gatwick I believe, where the
pilot took the wings off the aircraft upon (apparently) realising he
busted the airspace. Nobody wants to have anything whatsoever to do
with the CAA. The penalties are potentially much worse with the DGAC
in France.