Tracing a plane that is causing noise nuisance
Mortimer
2010-04-09 15:11:00 UTC
A bit of a long shot...

My girlfriend is plagued by a light aircraft that buzzes round and round in
the sky above her house, for several hours at a time, on many days. The
plane is too high to read its registration.

She lives near a stately home, so you might expect the occasional pleasure
flight flying people over it, though a helicopter might be more use that a
fixed-wing plane for this, and you'd expect it to descend lower, stay for a
few minutes and then go away again.

I don't think there are any airfields near her (Malton in Yorkshire) which
could be using the area for pilot training.

If the plane's origin could be traced, is there any recourse? Occasional
flights overhead are one thing: they cause a nuisance for a short time and
then they are gone. But a plane that flies round and round in a small area
for a long period of time is a pain in the neck.
unknown
2010-04-09 18:05:44 UTC
Buy some binoculars.
Tim Ward
2010-04-09 18:28:28 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Mortimer
My girlfriend is plagued by a light aircraft that buzzes round and round in
the sky above her house, for several hours at a time, on many days. The
plane is too high to read its registration.
Buy some binoculars.
No need. If it's too high to read the reg then it's legal.
--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor
brian whatcott
2010-04-14 23:07:30 UTC
Post by Mortimer
[...]
The usual recourse for recurring noise nuisance is taking a tail number.
If it flies high, then it is not a prime nuisance, on the face of it.
But a pair of binoculars might be helpful.
In the US system, the aircraft registry is accessible to the public. Not
so sure in the UK. Still, there IS a Freedom of Information requirement,
I seem to recall, so a CAA request for details on a tail number might help??

Brian W
Ross Younger
2010-04-15 11:50:24 UTC
Post by brian whatcott
In the US system, the aircraft registry is accessible to the public. Not
so sure in the UK.
The database is online on the CAA website. Finding it is left as an
exercise to the reader...

Ross
Ross Younger news#***@crazyscot.com (if N fails, try N+1)
Tim Ward
Cambridge City Councillor
Bob Walton
2010-04-16 08:48:00 UTC
Post by brian whatcott
In the US system, the aircraft registry is accessible to the
public. Not so sure in the UK. Still, there IS a Freedom of
Information requirement, I seem to recall, so a CAA request for
details on a tail number might help??
Just Google for "G-INFO"

Bob Walton
(eMail to my first name is more likely to reach me)