Overall cost
Robert
2006-11-09 13:49:22 UTC
Hi all,

I have recently completed my second 1/2 hour trial flight at Barton near
Manchester, which was a gift from my wife. I must admit I now have the bug
and would like to go for my PPL. I have a few questions though, that I hope
you be able to help with.

1. What is the average cost of gaining a PPL and would it cost more to pay
monthly rather than a lump sum to one flight school.

2. Once I have gained my PPL what is the average cost of joining a PFA.

3. Are there any good schools near or in Chester where I live.

I can afford about £250 a month at the moment without the wife chopping of
my dangely bits. Is this a realistic amount to see it though to the end.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
Andy R
2006-11-09 15:13:08 UTC
Post by Robert
Hi all,
I have recently completed my second 1/2 hour trial flight at Barton near
Manchester, which was a gift from my wife. I must admit I now have the bug
and would like to go for my PPL. I have a few questions though, that I
hope you be able to help with.
1. What is the average cost of gaining a PPL
The cost varies dramatically but as the main cost is the aircraft rental
allow around 50 hours at whatever your club charges plus about £1000 for
medicals, licence fees, exam fees etc.
Post by Robert
and would it cost more to pay monthly rather than a lump sum to one flight
school.
Only consider paying a lump sum to a flying school if you can use a credit
card. Flying schools go bust regularly.
Post by Robert
I can afford about £250 a month at the moment without the wife chopping of
my dangely bits. Is this a realistic amount to see it though to the end.
That should buy you an hour or so per fortnight. If you want to take your
time getting the licence then that's probably a nice way to do it. Bear in
mind though that it's easy to get frustrated by the weather when you spread
it out over such a long time.

Rgds

Andy R
Tim Ward
2006-11-09 19:18:15 UTC
Post by Robert
1. What is the average cost of gaining a PPL and would it cost more to pay
monthly rather than a lump sum to one flight school.
DO NOT PAY A LUMP SUM IN ADVANCE. Many have lost all their money when the
school has gone bust.

Look at it this way: if the school will give you a bigger discount than the
interest on your money is worth, there is only one reason for this: they've
already tried to borrow it cheaper from the bank, but their finances are so
dodgy that the bank said no.
Post by Robert
I can afford about £250 a month at the moment without the wife chopping of
my dangely bits. Is this a realistic amount to see it though to the end.
Yes. But you might want to save up for the winter and then do lots of
lessons close together in the spring, or fly a block of lessons close
together every other month, or something. If you fly once every three weeks
you will spend most of each lesson getting back to where you were last time.
--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor
Rob White
2006-11-09 20:09:40 UTC
Tim made some good points - especially getting back to where you were after
a spell of not flying due to poor weather. I found that to be a real issue,
which inevitably also affected to total cost of learning to fly - three
steps forward and then two steps back sort of thing. Lots of cancelled
lessons because of crap weather and then spending 1/2 the next lesson
ginning up on what I had forgotten from before.

I've seen a number of posts about not paying up front for blocks of
lessons, but I found it a useful way to keep track of the costs, and if the
club has been going for many years then it is unlikely to suddenly go broke
now. If you pay with a credit card you should protected.

I was not the worlds fastest learner and went solo after 20 hours and skills
tested at 70 hours, although that included club-flyouts to France (twice),
IoM, and other places in England so not all of that was lessons. I was
paying £115/hour in a PA28 but that now is £125, which from what I can see
on this newsgroup and on various websites is about average. So 70 hours @
£125 = £8750, + about £600 to hire the plane, pay the examiner for the
skills test and then stump up the licence fee to the crooks at the CAA.

Like you I got the itch after a trial lesson voucher and being told that I
could do it in 46 hours did not seem bad value, but of course the hourly
rate has gone up due to the fuel price increase since then. Very soon after
I started two instructors told me to budget for at least another £1,000.
That was reasonable advice I think £250 /month is OK, but there will be
good and bad (lots of flying and no flying) months so regard it as an
average. If you need to keep the wife on board always make sure she knows
when a lesson has to be cancelled and don't always let on every time you do
fly. I found that gave a slightly rosy picture.

I got my PPL 21 months ago now (after 4 aborted test dates due to weather!!)
and I have often wondered if I would have done it if I knew at the start
what it would cost. Possibly not, but most probably I would - I fly about
20 hours a year PIC and about that again with a friend in the other seat and
I enjoy nearly all of it. My wife is quite reasonable about it and we both
feel that up to about 30 hours a year is not pushing my luck, but if she
knew how much I spent getting the licence........well thing might just be
different. After all she learnt to play golf while I was learing to fly and
if she joined the swanky golf club up the road, paid them their annual subs
and then spent £2000 a year on course fees I suppose I might be a bit
miffed!!

If you go for it it's all because she gave you the trial lesson - so its all
her fault!!

Rob
Daniel
David Cartwright
2006-11-10 13:38:39 UTC
Post by Rob White
I've seen a number of posts about not paying up front for blocks of
lessons, but I found it a useful way to keep track of the costs, and if
the club has been going for many years then it is unlikely to suddenly go
broke now. If you pay with a credit card you should protected.
Correct. If you do pay up-front, you should:

(a) Pay by credit card
In the event of the organisation failing to supply the goods (in this case
flying tuition) you can claim your money back from the card company. The
only condition is that the transaction must be between £100 and £30,000, but
given that we're talking about flying lessons, this is sure to be the case.

(b) Ensure that there is a written agreement that you can take out your
funds at any time
If you get hit by a bus, or you lose your source of income, or something,
you need to be entitled to get your money back.

David C
gg.lindsay
2006-11-13 07:12:54 UTC
the comments that rob white wrote was spot on, as a novis tranie
myself i can relate to what he is saying.a bit close to home, but ro
you are right when it comes to cost, like you i have a buget to try t
keep to,but as everyone knows in this flying lark nothing come
cheap,but i would rather live longer so paying for what is mos
likly the best instruction in the uk what ever club you may belon
the deal with my wife was so long as it dont cut into the monthl
salary and you can find a different income to pay for it, its fine.
think its on a need to know basis,and the less she really know th
better. !!!
this has been hard going so i have started to do the ground exam
first which you dont need to fly, airlaw being the first one, plus
have booked a whole day on nav,as i think thats the one i need al
the help i can get.road maps and trig points are fine on the ground
but not a lot of use in the air. but like everyone you set your ow
goal on how long to get that licence, mine is 18mths to 2 yrs,wit
luck as i feel i will need it
and yes it was her fault in the first place by booking that 1h
birthday flight
anyway rob good luck
graham lindsa
N***@easily.co.uk
2006-11-15 12:33:22 UTC
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 01:12:54 -0600,
***@ntlworld-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (gg.lindsay) wrote:

- cut-
and yes it was her fault in the first place by booking that 1hr
birthday flight.
anyway rob good luck
graham lindsay
Sounds familiar. I had a trial lessson in 1989 as a Birthday present.
It was supposed to "get it out of my system". In 1991 I went to
Florida for 1 month and got the FAA PPL and nearly a year later
converted to UK CAA PPL. I'm now just about to reach 500 hours of
flying incluning all the holiday locations around the world I've
visited - Fantastic!

Rob White
2006-11-13 19:31:35 UTC
Further to my last reply I've looked up the times in my log-book and found
that I spent 65 hours before taking the skills test, which included 9 hours
on club jollies, not a total of 80 hours as I had thought. So 56 hours at
£125 = £7,000. That look better - I thought I had not spent as much as I
had said

Rob