Share our birds'eye views
TThierry
2006-12-07 09:55:18 UTC
We all take pictures when we fly. And we can do better than vertical
pictures shot by satellites. (Even if i'm not a convincing exemple of
this statement.) Why not share them with other people?
I have created a web page dedicated to this kind of pictures. It starts
from scratch, so your pictures are welcome. It is free to use. You can
display your aerial pictures in this new gallery and let people from
all over the world see them on the web.
Comments, critics (ergonomy...) are welcome.
It is a new born site, it will be improved in the future :

http://www.airpictures.net

Best regards.

Thierry
(also webmaster of http://flyinfrance.free.fr and
http://www.eurovfr.com)
TThierry
2006-12-07 13:41:13 UTC
Pictures displayed in the gallery can be protected against illegal
copying if the owner wishes it. Then, a network of semi transparent
copyright mentions is added by airpictures to the picture before it is
sent to the screen.
TThierry
2006-12-12 08:32:56 UTC
Because the database server was moved by the internet provider the very
same day I opened the website, many of you had a frustrating exeprience
visiting it, getting nothing more than the homepage since the data base
was out of reach. It is over now and the site works properly. I'm
really sorry about this inconvenience, although there is nothing I can
about it: I had not been warned.

Best regards,

Thierry, PPL
Peter
2006-12-12 11:47:42 UTC
Post by TThierry
We all take pictures when we fly. And we can do better than vertical
pictures shot by satellites. (Even if i'm not a convincing exemple of
this statement.) Why not share them with other people?
I have created a web page dedicated to this kind of pictures. It starts
from scratch, so your pictures are welcome. It is free to use. You can
display your aerial pictures in this new gallery and let people from
all over the world see them on the web.
Comments, critics (ergonomy...) are welcome.
http://www.airpictures.net
Best regards.
Thierry
(also webmaster of http://flyinfrance.free.fr and
http://www.eurovfr.com)
Good site Thierry. I will upload some of my pics when I get a moment.

You should also post the site details on the web-based pilot forums;
for the UK these are mainly www.pprune.org and www.flyer.co.uk - I
don't think many UK pilots visit Usenet anymore.
TThierry
2006-12-12 13:29:59 UTC
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your message, your pictures and your advices. I'm going
to take them and use these forums.

Thierry, PPL
Al G
2006-12-12 22:31:41 UTC
I tried it TThierry, but was unable to post any pictures. It kicked me back
the information screen, and said I had to fill in a main subject. I had. I
tried it
a second time with the same result. What am I doing wrong?

Al G
Thierry, PPL
TThierry
2006-12-15 14:05:45 UTC
When you upload a picture, you must give 3 informations :

1)a name for the picture
2)a topic or category, using the select option
3)the country where the object is located.

All other information is optionnal.

Didn't you forget to select a category for the picture?

Let me know, please.

Many thanks for trying anyway.

Thierry, PPL
Thierry, PPL
Al G

Thierry, PPL
Al G
2006-12-15 21:08:57 UTC
Well, I tried. Many times.

I entered the name, "Crater Lake",
the topic/category "Lake",
and the country "USA"

Submitted it and got: "You must give main topic describing your picture"

So,
I tried again, after finding the picture size limit, and resizing my
picture. I selected
my picture, filled in the date, type in a subject, selected a category,
wondered what a "View" is, (partial, global, choose), filled in the
keywords, location, and country, described my picture, filled in the
details, and the comments. Now, if one of these items isn't correct, EVERY
field on the form will be cleared, and I have to start over. So I hit
"submit", and got:

404 unable to load page: http://birdseye.free.fr/scripts/pic_upload.php

I understand that if I make a mistake, I should fix it. But why do all
fields get cleared? If my picture is too big, why do I get a "topic" error.
What is the view field, and how do I have to answer it? I sent an email to
you from the site, and got no answer. I may not be dedicated enough to get
past your website.

Al G
Post by Al G
I'll try it again, in a minute.
Al G
Thierry, PPL
TThierry
2006-12-18 13:27:03 UTC
Al, thank you for trying and thank you for your feed back.
The size of the picture is no longer a problem. If it is too large, I
reduce the picture after uploading it so that the photographer doesn't
have to bother about this any more before uploading.

Now, you can choose a country which will be preselected when you upload
a picture. (You can then choose an other one if the picture was not
taken in the country where you fly mostly)). To do this : update your
information when you have logged in. There is a new field at the bottom
of the form.

I'm sorry that in case of an error you have to fill the form again from
the beginning. It's my fault and I'll have to change this. I will as
soon as I find a way to do it. Meanwhile, maybe using the "previous"
button in your browser would bring back to screen the already filled
form?

Ican't understand why, having filled the form completely, you still get
an error message and you can't upload your picture.

Could you tell me what browser you use?

Regards.

Thierry
Al G
Al G
2006-12-18 20:12:11 UTC
"TThierry" <***@free.fr> wrote in message news:***@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
Al, thank you for trying and thank you for your feed back.
The size of the picture is no longer a problem. If it is too large, I
reduce the picture after uploading it so that the photographer doesn't
have to bother about this any more before uploading.

Now, you can choose a country which will be preselected when you upload
a picture. (You can then choose an other one if the picture was not
taken in the country where you fly mostly)). To do this : update your
information when you have logged in. There is a new field at the bottom
of the form.

Thanks.

I'm sorry that in case of an error you have to fill the form again from
the beginning. It's my fault and I'll have to change this. I will as
soon as I find a way to do it. Meanwhile, maybe using the "previous"
button in your browser would bring back to screen the already filled
form?

Ok, I'll try that.

Ican't understand why, having filled the form completely, you still get
an error message and you can't upload your picture.

Could you tell me what browser you use?

IE 7.0.5730.11, winxp SP2

Regards.

Thierry
Al G
TThierry
2006-12-19 08:48:56 UTC
Post by TThierry
Ican't understand why, having filled the form completely, you still get
an error message and you can't upload your picture.
Could you tell me what browser you use?
IE 7.0.5730.11, winxp SP2
Actually you should be able to upload even if you don't fill the form
completely.

I'm a bit anxious about your having IE7 since you're the second one
using this browser and complaining that you cannot upload pictures. I
don't understand why yet, but there might be a problem with this
browser.
Have you had any problem uploading files on other sites?
I use IE6 and it works perfectly well.

Could you tell me exactly which error message you get now?
This error message appears in a browser window or in a little alarm
window where you have to click on a button to have it disappear?

Regards.
Gus Cabre

Regards.
TThierry
2006-12-19 09:55:19 UTC
Post by Gus Cabre
I have just removed my IE7. I had only but problems.
Gus
EGYC
Can you upload pictures now?

Anyway, I'll have to fix this problem sonneror later since IE7 users
are going to be more and more numerous in the future.
I wonder whether IE7 might send hidden characters along with fields
which don't pass the test I make on the form when you send it.

Keep me posted if you have any problem in the future.

By the way, I'd like your opinion:
would you be interested in knowing how many people view your
pictures(number of hits), and how they rate it (people voting for each
picture)? Would it be useless?
I have these feature ready but did not implement them yet.
What is your opinion here?

Thanks again to all of you who already added their pictures or are
going to in the near future. I know that is is easier to add pictures
to an already well known gallery than to an empty or almost empty one,
which you just did.

Regards,

Thierry, PPL
Al G
2006-12-19 20:49:05 UTC
Well, I just tried it again, (I.E. 7)

I filled out the new page, and it went well. I filled out each field. When
it uploaded, it said:

"You must give a name describing your picture"
BACK

I did not use this "Back" link, but used the browser's "back" key. The form
was once again blank. I attempted to load a "Wizard Is" picture, so if you
see it, at least that part worked.

Al G

Thierry, PPL
TThierry
2006-12-20 09:21:53 UTC
The good news is that when you have a problem, you don't have to fill
the form entirely again, since it doesn't disappear in the process. You
can change what has to. Same thing if you upload several pictures taken
in the same place.

Th.
TThierry
2007-01-03 17:27:01 UTC
The last good news is that it works, with now more than 130 pictures
from all over the world.
Thanks to the first ones to have added their pictures, and to the next
ones, about to do it.

http://www.airpictures.net

Th.

Al G
2006-12-19 17:16:23 UTC
Post by TThierry
Post by TThierry
Ican't understand why, having filled the form completely, you still get
an error message and you can't upload your picture.
Could you tell me what browser you use?
IE 7.0.5730.11, winxp SP2
Actually you should be able to upload even if you don't fill the form
completely.
I'm a bit anxious about your having IE7 since you're the second one
using this browser and complaining that you cannot upload pictures. I
don't understand why yet, but there might be a problem with this
browser.
Have you had any problem uploading files on other sites?
I use IE6 and it works perfectly well.
Could you tell me exactly which error message you get now?
This error message appears in a browser window or in a little alarm
window where you have to click on a button to have it disappear?
Regards.
Hi TThierry,

If you are looking at a "Crater Lake" picture, then I can upload. I'll
try a couple more when I get time today, and if I have problems, I'll let
you know. Thanks for your help.

Al G