some people will nick anything
Kevin
2006-12-20 16:40:04 UTC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6197705.stm
Gus Cabre
2006-12-20 18:35:47 UTC
Explain that to the PFA engineer: "I wanted my RV10 to have an extra oomph".
:-))

Gus
Coltishall
Peter
2006-12-20 20:36:11 UTC
Post by Gus Cabre
Explain that to the PFA engineer: "I wanted my RV10 to have an extra oomph".
:-))
If it got nicked off a BA 747 I doubt anybody would have noticed :) :)
It's a SOP to fly those on 3 engines.
me
2006-12-21 13:31:07 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Gus Cabre
Explain that to the PFA engineer: "I wanted my RV10 to have an extra oomph".
:-))
If it got nicked off a BA 747 I doubt anybody would have noticed :) :)
It's a SOP to fly those on 3 engines.
I like to think the flight crew might have noticed it on the walk-round -
but maybe I'm just an optimist!

Andy R
2006-12-21 14:32:47 UTC
Post by Kevin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6197705.stm
Probably Pikeys. Must have thought it was a big wood chipper.

Rgds

Andy R
Mike Lindsay
2006-12-21 16:18:23 UTC
Post by Kevin
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6197705.stm
A long time ago there were a number of wooden crates being auctioned off
at a Govt sale.

The successful bidder noticed one of the crates was extraordinarily
heavy.

When he got it back to his shed, which was difficult, on account of the
weight, he found it contained a brand new R-R Merlin.
Mike Lindsay
Alistair Wright
2006-12-22 12:16:22 UTC
2006-12-23 20:44:14 UTC
[...]
Wow! I thought it might be an Urban Legend, like the chap who bought a
nearly new Ford Pilot/Zephyr/Sierra/Mondeo for £5.

So thanks for confirming its truth.
Mike Lindsay
Flying Rat
2006-12-25 16:04:14 UTC
Post by Mike Lindsay
[...]
used to happen a lot, Charlie Richardson (South London gangster of the
1960s) got his break into the metals business buying up loads of
aircraft parts sight unseen for a tiny fraction of their worth. He would
buy the contents of a shed or hangar, then strip the frames or engines
down for the metal content. He bought a job lot of Spitfire parts and
Merlins for a few grand, and on a number of occasions did similar deals.

The postwar policy seemed to be get rid of it and get what you can for
it, rather than checking the goods and selling them individually.
Freddie Laker was another who made a nice few quid by bulk buying
postwar surplus planes (Harvards etc) for pennies. Many got parted out
but selling just a few at a reasonable price paid for the upfront cost
of buying them.

Lots of those "suitcase" deals done at the time (you buy the case blind
and get whatever it holds)

FR