east mids ppl
flybywire
2006-09-09 22:50:48 UTC
Which is best value NEM or Tolerton for PPL

I aim to pay in one go

Mike
david
2006-09-10 17:54:22 UTC
Cant say because a school is a very personal thing. One may be excellent
value but if you hate the instructors then it's not worth a jot is it? You
ought to visit both schools first, spend some time there, hve a coffee and a
sandwich, chat to them and their students, see which "is you".

As for paying in one go....oh ohhh! Why? It might take you a while to
finish your lessons, so I would pay in stages at worst, lesson by lesson at
best.

East mids is a nice airfield though, very relaxed. I used to fly A320m out
of there and loved every minute.

David
Mike
Tim Ward
2006-09-10 18:33:52 UTC
Post by david
As for paying in one go....oh ohhh! Why? It might take you a while to
finish your lessons, so I would pay in stages at worst, lesson by lesson
at best.
Absolutely. Plus the world is full of stories of schools that have gone bust
losing the punters thousands each.

Look at it this way: If the discount the school gives you for paying up
front is more than it would have cost them to borrow the money from the bank
this means that the bank has refused to give them a loan. Dunno what
business you're in, but I personally am not in the business of given loans
to people who are such bad risks that the banks won't touch them.
--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor
david
2006-09-10 18:52:14 UTC
Dunno what
Post by Tim Ward
business you're in, but I personally am not in the business of given loans
to people who are such bad risks that the banks won't touch them.
I agree Tim, but wasn't going to mention the "going bust" bit. I had hoped
that was an 'eighties thing'...maybe not though!

David
flybywire
2006-09-10 20:04:23 UTC
thanks for the advice Guys,

from a learning point of view which airfield is best

from a takeoff slot basis is Tollerton the best as I was at Donington race
circuit today and there didn't seem much landing room for private pilots

cheers

Mike
Post by Tim Ward
Dunno what
David
david
2006-09-11 07:45:49 UTC
Mike, from a learning point of view...who cares? Once you have launched
you're in the air!

Personally I'd go for East Mids because there's always something interesting
happening - the jets coming anbd going, private stuff, personal jets, the
spitfire, BMI school etc etc etc. Very interesting place.

From a take off PoV...again, not sure there's anything to choose. Sure, I
have seen light planes held whilst a jet lands but not or long, minutes
really. Hardly worth the fuss. The tower is good of course and when you
fancy learning to fly an ILS then there's one on site!

I'd choose EMA.

David
Post by flybywire
thanks for the advice Guys,
from a learning point of view which airfield is best
from a takeoff slot basis is Tollerton the best as I was at Donington race
circuit today and there didn't seem much landing room for private pilots
cheers
Mike
Post by Tim Ward
Dunno what
David
flybywire
David
Neil G
2006-09-11 18:21:46 UTC
Post by flybywire
Thanks for the advice David
Post by david
happening - the jets coming anbd going, private stuff, personal jets, the
spitfire, BMI school etc etc etc. Very interesting place.
From a take off PoV...again, not sure there's anything to choose. Sure, I
have seen light planes held whilst a jet lands but not or long, minutes
really. Hardly worth the fuss. The tower is good of course and when you
fancy learning to fly an ILS then there's one on site!
I'd choose EMA.
David
East Mids FS used to have very good rates. Are they still going?

Derby apparently are having a staffing problem whilst Hucknall if you
can get in have good rates and taildraggers!