This newsgroup has definitely nearly expired now...
Peter
2006-10-26 15:22:52 UTC
However, it's curious why. I've seen it decline since about 2002.

There is said to be a decline in GA activity in the UK. There is
certainly a big year on year decline in new PPL issues.

But the UK GA pilot forums that are on the WWW are apparently as busy
as ever.

Is it because so few people nowadays even know how to configure their
Micro$oft email program (Outlook, invariably) to access usenet?
Tim Ward
2006-10-26 16:33:16 UTC
Post by Peter
Is it because so few people nowadays even know how to configure their
Micro$oft email program (Outlook, invariably) to access usenet?
That doesn't help (and yes, one would have problems configuring Outlook to
do usenet seeing as Outlook doesn't contain a new client). But I think it's
mostly that everyone is hanging out on PPRuNe and Flyer instead.
--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor
flybywire
Cambridge City Councillor
Peter
2006-10-26 18:49:57 UTC
Post by flybywire
where are
PPRuNe and Flyer pls
www.pprune.org

Pprune is mostly for airline pilots; the GA forum is just a little bit
of it and is at

http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=63

and

www.flyer.co.uk

is the other one mentioned.

You can take your pick as to which one you like :) Flyer is a lot more
cliquey; I read it occassionally but most of the posts on there
contain zero useful information. Pprune is a bit better... at times.
There is no doubt that Pprune has a wide range of real expertise on
it, if you use some of the other forums, as appropriate to the subject
matter (e.g. medical, professional).

There is a whole lot of other small pilot forums, e.g. www.ukga.com
and some of these get incredibly cliquey.

All WWW forums are vastly more time consuming to browse / write on
than usenet.
Chris
2006-10-26 20:31:35 UTC
Post by Peter
www.flyer.co.uk
is the other one mentioned.
You can take your pick as to which one you like :) Flyer is a lot more
cliquey;
I object to Flyer on principle. A magazine that actively promotes a safety
related item that says "I am only wearing this to cover someone's arse" is
way out of line and not something I personally am prepared to support.
John L
2006-10-27 08:52:23 UTC
Flyer magazine is a good read and the Flyer forums are far and away the
most popular of the many GA forums out there. Inevitably, in what is
really quite a small community, things can sometimes get a bit cliquey
but that's down in the noise compared with the enormous amount of
support, knowledge and fun that can be obtained.

Personally, I prefer the forum style of presentation to newsgroups or
mailing lists and I do not find that they are cumbersome to use. But
there is certainly room for both and it would be a shame if this
newsgroup were to close for lack of participation.

John.
Peter
2006-10-27 09:18:48 UTC
Post by John L
Personally, I prefer the forum style of presentation to newsgroups or
mailing lists
Mailing lists and newsgroups are a world apart in presentation -
assuming one is using a reasonable usenet client.

Mailing lists are dreadful, IMHO. Just a load of emails, with no
threading presentation. Usenet is wonderful in the way messages are
threaded, and replies to individual posts show up as such.

WWW forums are just one long list of posts, most recent on the bottom,
with no inter-post relationship shown. One has to wade through all the
irrelevant diatribe (of which there is usually plenty of in pilot
forums, especially Flyer) and if you do type up a reply it isn't
obvious who you are replying to.

I use Agent (www.forteinc.com) for both email and usenet ("news" as it
is often called). Have been using it since 1995 and never had a
significant problem with it. Unlike the M$ software which has had so
many back doors...

Still, usenet must be on its way out, for non-IT subjects.
Tim Ward
2006-10-27 16:51:22 UTC
Post by Peter
Mailing lists are dreadful, IMHO. Just a load of emails, with no
threading presentation.
Well, that's up to your email software, provided that the mailing list puts
enough tracking information into the emails there's no reason they can't be
displayed threaded. But in practice I've never known this actually work.
Cambridge City Councillor
Simon Hobson
2006-10-28 18:27:28 UTC
Post by Chris
I object to Flyer on principle. A magazine that actively promotes a safety
related item that says "I am only wearing this to cover someone's arse" is
way out of line and not something I personally am prepared to support.
Actually if you can't see that statement for what it is - a comment on the
trend to enforce 'safety' rules which have no safety value because whoever is
imposing the rules simply couldn't be arsed to do some thinking first !

My favourite story on that was along the lines of :

Club pilot is checking out his plane, someone leans out of the clubhouse
window and waves a phone at him. The call is from the tower 1/2 mile away who
ask why he isn't wearing a hi-vis jacket. he replies by asking them how they
know he isn't wearing one.
"We can see you" comes the reply from the tower.
"If you can see me then it's obvious I don't need a hi-vis jacket then isn't
it" pilot says before putting the phone down.

I challenge you to come up with reports of accidents caused by a pilot
failing to see a pedestrian, and where the wearing of a hi-vis jacket would
have helped. I'll make it easy and not exclude any particular type of
airport/airfield.

I'm certainly not aware of any, and quite frankly, this is one of those rules
that is certainly done on the basis of "must be seen to do something,
everyone else does this, I'll do this". Safety benefit - nil (or even
negative). Why negative safetly benefit ? Well it's unthinking actions like
this that brings the whole area of safety rules into widespread derision -
with an obvious negative safety effect caused by the lowering of respect for
safety rules/procedures.

Let me quote you an article from the IET newsletter, mid Sept 2006 (you can
skip the second block, but the third block echos exactly what many people are
saying about such unthinking implementation of 'safety' rules) :

-----
"Get real about risk, says health and Safety Executive"

Some people are just being silly about health and safety. That's the view of
Health and Safety Commission chair Bill Callaghan. "I'm sick and tires of
hearing that health and safety is stopping people doing worthwhile things,"
said Callaghan, speaking at the launch of a new practical guide to risk
assessment, published by HSC's enforcement arm, the Health and Safety
Executive. "My message is that if you're using health and safety to stop
everyday activities - get a life and let otheres get on with theirs."

The HSE intends that the new guide will help those with a responsibility
for health and safety to focus on the kinds of risk that cause real harm and
suffering. In 2005, accidents at work were responsible for the deaths of 220
workers and the loss of 35 million working days. The guidance, "Five Steps to
Risk Assessment", which was first published in 1993, has been revised and
simplified to make it easier for ordinary business people to use. It also
places greater emphasis on making sure that decisions are translated into
effective action.

"Health and safety should be a way of protecting people from real harm; not
a bureaucratic back-covering excercie," said Jonathan Rees, HSE chief
executive.

Copies of the new guide, along with examples of good risk management
practice, can be found at www.hse.gov.uk/risk.
-----

If I could also at this point plug the Flyer mailing list, we're a friendly
bunch - honest ! See http://www.flyerlist.org.uk
Chris
2006-10-28 20:19:31 UTC
Post by Simon Hobson
I challenge you to come up with reports of accidents caused by a pilot
failing to see a pedestrian, and where the wearing of a hi-vis jacket would
have helped. I'll make it easy and not exclude any particular type of
airport/airfield.
God, another w*nker. The attitude of "we will only do something when an
accident has happened strikes me as particularily daft."
Bseides which, it is a typically stupid challenge. The issue is how many
accidents have been prevented by people wearing the appropriate jackets. Of
course as there has been no accident , nothing to measure.

In construction, particularily on road works, the hi viz jacket has made a
big difference. Besides which it is not just an issue of pilots seeing
pedestrian but drivers of other vehicles too.
Post by Simon Hobson
[...]
I was at the launch of the guide and know exactly the context in which the
"get real" message was made.

It was a contrast between real dangers and perceived dangers. As far as I
know, propellers and moving planes, fuel trucks etc comprise real dangers.

I have no qualms about airports making conclusions about risks having gone
through an appropriate process and respect their decision. The fact that
some have decided not to do so is a call they have decided to make. No one
is right, no one is wrong. The process is about assessment and judgement.
There are many airfield where I chose to wear a Hi viz jacket whatever
because I have decided that it would be the right thing to do for me.

What does piss me off is idiots who try to rubbish a lot of good work that
is going on to reduce accidents of all kinds by childishness and immaturity.

That applies to many who frequent the Flyer forum. So if it big wailing kids
you want to play with you know where to go. The Flyer list.
Peter
2006-10-29 08:10:20 UTC
Post by Chris
What does piss me off is idiots who try to rubbish a lot of good work that
is going on to reduce accidents of all kinds by childishness and immaturity.
However, the UK must know somthing nobody else knows, because foreign
airports don't require yellow jackets...
Post by Chris
That applies to many who frequent the Flyer forum. So if it big wailing kids
you want to play with you know where to go. The Flyer list.
Is the "flyer list" still running? It has a website, IIRC, but it
appears dead since about 2003.
Simon Hobson
2006-10-29 14:01:56 UTC
Most definitely still alive, See http://www.flyerlist.org.uk
Peter
2006-10-31 21:57:24 UTC
Post by Simon Hobson
Post by Peter
Is the "flyer list" still running? It has a website, IIRC, but it
appears dead since about 2003.
Most definitely still alive, See http://www.flyerlist.org.uk
I've emailed them twice, to set it up for an address which passes
through my antispam system, but never heard anything from them. The
admin/mods may not be there anymore.
Simon Hobson
2006-11-05 17:45:22 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Simon Hobson
Most definitely still alive, See http://www.flyerlist.org.uk
I've emailed them twice, to set it up for an address which passes
through my antispam system, but never heard anything from them. The
admin/mods may not be there anymore.
Definitely still there, still active, still got the admins.

Any of these links any use :

To contact the List Administrators: mailto:***@flyerlist.org.uk
For more information on the list: http://www.flyerlist.org.uk

If you still have no luck, contact me privately at simon at
thehobsonsdotcodotuk and I'll pass it on to the list admins.

Simon Hobson
2006-10-29 14:01:57 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Simon Hobson
I challenge you to come up with reports of accidents caused by a pilot
failing to see a pedestrian, and where the wearing of a hi-vis jacket would
have helped. I'll make it easy and not exclude any particular type of
airport/airfield.
God, another w*nker. The attitude of "we will only do something when an
accident has happened strikes me as particularily daft."
No, it's not daft, and it's not what you seem to imply. You are applying the
pink custard approach*, I am being more practical. If the risk is as high as
you seem to think, then you'd expect there to have been at least one or two
reported incidents in the 4 or 5 decades that aircraft and airports have been
in widespread usage. The fact that no-one has yet come up with any examples
suggests that the risk may not be as great as is made out.

The corrollary to "lets see if something happens and then act" is "lets
assume something WILL happen and act in advance" - well that's the sort of
thinking that got us into this 'discussion'. People taking the attitude that
there is a risk therefore they WILL do something about it whether or not the
risk warrants the cost of the mitigation measures, rather than possibly
accept that the risk is not significant.

You could argue that the easiest way to eliminate risk at airports is to
eliminate airports and aircraft - which is exactly the sort of thinking that
the article quoted is aimed at.

What's needed is a more balanced approach. Calling someone a w*nker because
they are capable of thought and dare to question you opinion is not conducive
to reasoned debate. Quite frankly, with an attitude like that YOU are part of
the problem - you won't alloow any sort of argument against a 'safety' rules
of dubious efficacy.
Post by Chris
Bseides which, it is a typically stupid challenge. The issue is how many
accidents have been prevented by people wearing the appropriate jackets. Of
course as there has been no accident , nothing to measure.
Pink custard
Post by Chris
In construction, particularily on road works, the hi viz jacket has made a
big difference. Besides which it is not just an issue of pilots seeing
pedestrian but drivers of other vehicles too.
Which I hope you'll agree is a somewhat different environment.

For the average 'club' airfield (which is where the Flyer mag slogan is
aimed) then we are talking typically low movement numbers, daylight, VFR
operations. If the weather is good enough to be flying then it's good enough
to see people without hi-vis jackets. The dangerous end of an aircraft is
well known and fairly well defined (ie running over people while reversing is
not a significant risk).

On construction sites, particularly road works, then you have diverse
machinery/vehicles manouvering (including reversing), in varying lighting
conditions (including night), in varying weather (including cold and/or wet).
So if you have a lorry reversing, at night, in the rain, and it's cold, it's
mirrors and windows wet or steamed up - then hell yes, I'd say a hi-vis
jacket will make a difference !

But on a small airfield where (by law) few if any aircraft will even be
moving if the vis is less than 1800m or it's dark, then that's a whole
different kettle of fish.
Post by Chris
Post by Simon Hobson
"Get real about risk, says health and Safety Executive"
Some people are just being silly about health and safety. That's the view of
Health and Safety Commission chair Bill Callaghan. "I'm sick and tires of
hearing that health and safety is stopping people doing worthwhile things,"
said Callaghan, speaking at the launch of a new practical guide to risk
assessment, published by HSC's enforcement arm, the Health and Safety
Executive.
I was at the launch of the guide and know exactly the context in which the
"get real" message was made.
Then it's all the more worrying that someone who appears to be involved in
the safety system should be so utterly blind to the problem that causes
people to use the slogan you so deride.
Post by Chris
It was a contrast between real dangers and perceived dangers. As far as I
know, propellers and moving planes, fuel trucks etc comprise real dangers.
OK then, explain how wearing a hi-vis jacket will avoid someone walking into
a turning propeller ?

As for moving vehicles, are they a significantly higher risk than the moving
vehicles in your local supermarket car park ?
Post by Chris
I have no qualms about airports making conclusions about risks having gone
through an appropriate process and respect their decision. The fact that
some have decided not to do so is a call they have decided to make. No one
is right, no one is wrong. The process is about assessment and judgement.
What people are complaining about is the MANY cases where there has been no
such assessment. It's bleeding obvious that many places where hi-vis is
mandatory cannot possibly have done such an assessment - for the simple
reason that no reasonable assessment would ahve come to that conclusion.

It's one of those things where poeple don't have the
time/inclination/knowledge/whatever to do a menaingful assessment so they
simply look at what others are doing and mandate that - the south sea islands
effect**. The porblem with hi-vis is that it costs (almost) nothing for the
airport to mandate it but all the users end up paying. Because it costs
nothing, there's no incentive to really think about it.
Post by Chris
There are many airfield where I chose to wear a Hi viz jacket whatever
because I have decided that it would be the right thing to do for me.
That's your call. There's some places I wear mine, but in general I make a
point of NOT wearing one where it's pointless.
Post by Chris
What does piss me off is idiots who try to rubbish a lot of good work that
is going on to reduce accidents of all kinds by childishness and immaturity.
Yhat you SHOULD be more pissed off about is the idiots that cause the good
work to rubbished by thinking people.
Post by Chris
That applies to many who frequent the Flyer forum. So if it big wailing kids
you want to play with you know where to go. The Flyer list.
Which do you mean, the list or the forum ? You'll find me on the list (where
mostly we have grown up debates - most of us know that calling someone "God,
another w*nker" isn't the best way to get their respect !), not on the forum.

* Pink custard. Man sees his neighbour painting the gateposts with pink
custard, and asks why. "It's to keep the elephants away" comes the reply.
"But there aren't any elephants around here !" exclaims the man. "You see, it
works' replies his neighbour !

** South Sea Island effect

During the way, the US opened an airstrip on a remote isalnd in the South
Seas. The natives saw that by creating this strip of cleared ground and
talking into a microphone, big silver birds would come and discharge all
sorts of goodies. After the war, the US moved out, the control towers
decayed, and the airstrip became overgrown.

The natives didn't understand what the problem was, so they cleared the
strip, build a new tower, and even a wooden radio microphone to gabble into.
Alas for them, the big silver birds didn't return.

I believ ethis is a well known effect in many areas - business process,
security, health and safety. People look at what other people are doing and
copy it without understanding the underlying process - the result is
predicatly that they don't get the results they expect.

The most obvious application in health and safety is the mandating of hi-vis
jackets. People are told to do an assessment, they don't have a clue (and
won't pay someone who does), so they look at what others have done and simply
copy it. Imposing hi-vis is cheap and makes it look like something is being
done - it doesn't neccessarily improve safety.
Peter
2006-10-29 08:08:05 UTC
Post by Simon Hobson
"Health and safety should be a way of protecting people from real harm; not
a bureaucratic back-covering excercie," said Jonathan Rees, HSE chief
executive.
True, but people just love creating jobs. The world is full of "little
men" who make a living inspecting door closers, fire alarms, EXIT
stickers, and who write regs about wearing yellow jackets.

It's not their fault. The fault is with the management layer(s) above
that, for allowing it to happen.

In a typical business, there will only be a tiny percentage of people
who will see the ridicule in all this. It's easy for empires to get
built, and once established....
Mike Lindsay
2006-10-29 09:40:58 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Simon Hobson
"Health and safety should be a way of protecting people from real harm; not
a bureaucratic back-covering excercie," said Jonathan Rees, HSE chief
executive.
True, but people just love creating jobs. The world is full of "little
men" who make a living inspecting door closers, fire alarms, EXIT
stickers, and who write regs about wearing yellow jackets.
It's not their fault. The fault is with the management layer(s) above
that, for allowing it to happen.
In a typical business, there will only be a tiny percentage of people
who will see the ridicule in all this. It's easy for empires to get
built, and once established....
Wow! I have just read much the same sentiments on another NG, not
related to aviation.

I wonder, is there any hope that this truth is at last beginning to be
recognised?
Mike Lindsay
Tim Ward
2006-10-29 09:58:45 UTC
Post by Peter
True, but people just love creating jobs. The world is full of "little
men" who make a living inspecting door closers, fire alarms, EXIT
stickers, and who write regs about wearing yellow jackets.
It's not their fault. The fault is with the management layer(s) above
that, for allowing it to happen.
In a typical business, there will only be a tiny percentage of people
who will see the ridicule in all this. It's easy for empires to get
built, and once established....
This is all utter nonsense, basically.

The business is there to deliver value to shareholders. That's what it says
in the law, and management know this - it's what they're there for, it's
what they do all day, it's their job, there's no reason to suppose they're
any worse at their job than you are at yours.

If it's more profitable to employ "little men" than to pay out fines and/or
damages at court then that's what they'll do. Even if there are no actual
incidents of anyone getting hurt, if it's more profitable to employ "little
men" than to pay higher insurance premiums then that's what they'll do.
Blame over-regulation and the import of US-style litigation if you like, not
the management.

And of course the management know perfectly well which bits of what they're
doing look ridiculous - just listen to any conversation they have about this
stuff - and they'd rather not be doing them, but they still have the duty to
Cambridge City Councillor
Peter
2006-10-29 15:27:59 UTC
Post by Tim Ward
Post by Peter
True, but people just love creating jobs. The world is full of "little
men" who make a living inspecting door closers, fire alarms, EXIT
stickers, and who write regs about wearing yellow jackets.
It's not their fault. The fault is with the management layer(s) above
that, for allowing it to happen.
In a typical business, there will only be a tiny percentage of people
who will see the ridicule in all this. It's easy for empires to get
built, and once established....
This is all utter nonsense, basically.
No it's not.
Post by Tim Ward
[...]
You haven't written anything that disagrees with me. What you have
written (and I agree with the above in general) is that corporate
cynicism has reached the level where it is worth employing an army of
"useless little men" because it gives you a due diligence defence
whenever an employee who was a bit of a plonker and tripped over
something decides to go after you for a nice tax free lump sum. Why?
because he can.

You have just moved the goalposts, from arguing (was it you?) that
yellow jackets actually prevent accidents (specifically, people
walking into propellers), to arguing that the yellow jacket regs are
there to create a backdrop of bogus due diligence. IMV the former is
bollocks; the latter is certainly true.

What I am not certain of, however, is whether yellow jackets are
actually mandated by the insurer. They are not required anywhere I
have flown to in Europe, and I have been as far as Crete. If they are
not specifically mandated by the insurer, why does the airfield
require them? A "useless little man" somewhere, perhaps?
Mike Lindsay
2006-10-29 19:06:42 UTC
Post by Peter
No it's not.
Post by Tim Ward
[...]
Here is a true story (happened to me).

One November evening, after I'd finished my stint of doing the
only "aerial work" my licence allows I was taxiing back to the hangar
after refuelling.

The club H&S person had got his hat on and had had some warning
notices reading "Caution, Active Runway" made. This were painted a nice
inconspicuous shade of grey, you could just see them if you knew where
to look in the twilight. No one had briefed me that the runways had been
seeded with these obstacles.

I managed to taxi into one of these, causing damage to the prop,
which couldn't be repaired.

This is just one of the examples of something set up to make
things safer, but actually causes an accident.
Mike Lindsay
flybywire
than usenet.
Peter
2006-10-26 18:50:20 UTC
Must be Outlook Express then :)
Simon Hobson
2006-10-28 18:27:29 UTC
Which is what the majority of people are using.
Richard Herring
2006-10-29 18:49:47 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Tim Ward
and yes, one would have problems configuring Outlook to
do usenet seeing as Outlook doesn't contain a new client
Must be Outlook Express then :)
My employers' contracted-out IT provider refuses to support Outlook
Express. However, they are quite happy to support "Outlook News", which
is what gets launched if you click the "News" menu item in Outlook
proper.
Richard Herring <mailto:***@clupeid.demon.co.uk>
Tim Ward
2006-10-29 20:02:10 UTC
Post by Richard Herring
Post by Peter
Post by Tim Ward
and yes, one would have problems configuring Outlook to
do usenet seeing as Outlook doesn't contain a new client
Must be Outlook Express then :)
My employers' contracted-out IT provider refuses to support Outlook
Express. However, they are quite happy to support "Outlook News", which is
what gets launched if you click the "News" menu item in Outlook proper.
Hmm. Name and shame so the rest of us can avoid giving them any business??
Cambridge City Councillor
Richard Herring
2006-10-31 21:05:44 UTC
Post by Tim Ward
Post by Richard Herring
Post by Peter
Post by Tim Ward
and yes, one would have problems configuring Outlook to
do usenet seeing as Outlook doesn't contain a new client
Must be Outlook Express then :)
My employers' contracted-out IT provider refuses to support Outlook
Express. However, they are quite happy to support "Outlook News", which is
what gets launched if you click the "News" menu item in Outlook proper.
Hmm. Name and shame so the rest of us can avoid giving them any business??
I fear that would be a breach of corporate security :-(
Richard Herring <mailto:***@clupeid.demon.co.uk>
Mark Jones Laptop2
2006-11-04 21:12:59 UTC
Post by Tim Ward
Post by Peter
Is it because so few people nowadays even know how to configure their
Micro$oft email program (Outlook, invariably) to access usenet?
That doesn't help (and yes, one would have problems configuring Outlook to
do usenet seeing as Outlook doesn't contain a new client).
I've been using Outlook Express as my newsclient for 6 years. This Laptop is
only weeks old and I set up usenet in minutes - perhaps I'm getting confused
between Outlook and Outlook Express though?