What can I do with a seaplane?
Lev
2006-09-09 20:28:34 UTC
I always dreamed of having a seaplane. I think i even found a beauty i
want:

But then i started to think - if I ever afford it, what can i do with
it in this country? Is the plane even certified? If yes, will I be able
to land and take off anywhere are the coast, or there are restrictions?

Please let me know if you can

Thanks
karel
2006-09-09 20:38:50 UTC
http://www.beriev-usa.com/images/be103-37.jpg
But then i started to think - if I ever afford it, what can i do with
it in this country? Is the plane even certified? If yes, will I be able
to land and take off anywhere are the coast, or there are restrictions?
Please let me know if you can
For the little bit it is worth:
-) there is an active club of seaplanes in Como (IT), well worth a visit
-) I have heard rumours of seaplane activity round Biscarosse, France
(a very historical site with its own museum, keyword=Latecoère)
-) real theatres of seaplane activity are Alaska & Canada

Don't ask me why!
KA (as curious as yourself)
Tim Ward
2006-09-09 20:47:37 UTC
Post by Lev
I always dreamed of having a seaplane. I think i even found a beauty i
http://www.beriev-usa.com/images/be103-37.jpg
But then i started to think - if I ever afford it, what can i do with
it in this country? Is the plane even certified? If yes, will I be able
to land and take off anywhere are the coast, or there are restrictions?
Move to Alaska or BC. I would if I could afford a Beaver or Otter :-)
--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor
Lev
2006-09-10 10:07:11 UTC
Hi

Thanks for replies

So you are saying if you have a seaplane, you cannot land it in a water
in this country? Even if water is in uncontrolled airspace?

Also interested in everyone's personal opinion - what type of seaplane
you think is better - a plane with floats (like Beaver or Otter) or
plane that is more like a boat (like BE103 on the link)?

Thanks
Cambridge City Councillor
david
2006-09-10 17:57:18 UTC
Post by Lev
So you are saying if you have a seaplane, you cannot land it in a water
in this country? Even if water is in uncontrolled airspace?
Lev, yes.

The airspace might be uncontrolled but the WATER is not, and that's the
difference between here and canada. In BC no water is private so you can
swim, fish, land, cabnoe ANYWHERE. Over here ALL land is owned by soimeoine
so you can do the above things NOWHERE!

Great isn't it?

I'm not sure about the sea though, presumably if you had an amphibian and
flew it out beyon three miles you could land and fish or something. I'd
love to do that.

David
Mike Lindsay
2006-09-10 09:06:36 UTC
Post by Lev
I always dreamed of having a seaplane. I think i even found a beauty i
http://www.beriev-usa.com/images/be103-37.jpg
But then i started to think - if I ever afford it, what can i do with
it in this country? Is the plane even certified? If yes, will I be able
to land and take off anywhere are the coast, or there are restrictions?
Please let me know if you can
Thanks
I believe there is seaplane activity in Rochester, Kent. But it may have
finished now.
Mike Lindsay
Ross Younger
2006-09-10 19:59:34 UTC
Post by Mike Lindsay
I believe there is seaplane activity in Rochester, Kent. But it may have
finished now.
There is a water aerodrome marked on the chart at Scotney Court near Lydd
on the south coast. Loch Earn in Perthshire also plays host to seaplane
training - http://www.neils-seaplanes.com/ - and IIRC there are a few
lochs marked as water ADs in those parts. The people at On Track -
http://www.ontrackaviation.com/sep-cr.htm - seem pretty well set up, the
OP might get more information on locations from them.

Ross
Ross Younger news#***@crazyscot.com (if N fails, try N+1)
N***@easily.co.uk
2006-09-10 22:16:01 UTC
On 10 Sep 2006 20:59:34 +0100 (BST), Ross Younger
Post by Ross Younger
Post by Mike Lindsay
I believe there is seaplane activity in Rochester, Kent. But it may have
finished now.
There is a water aerodrome marked on the chart at Scotney Court near Lydd
on the south coast. Loch Earn in Perthshire also plays host to seaplane
training - http://www.neils-seaplanes.com/ - and IIRC there are a few
lochs marked as water ADs in those parts. The people at On Track -
http://www.ontrackaviation.com/sep-cr.htm - seem pretty well set up, the
OP might get more information on locations from them.
Ross
I have wondered about the possibility but when you think of the
options it's difficult. The size of the aircraft will determine the
size of the waves that can be negotiated. I was surprised how limiting
small float planes can be.

Have you had a look at: http://www.seaplaneassociation.org.uk/