Mi-17 and Mi-24 in formation over Yorkshire today
johnarro
2006-09-08 11:41:33 UTC
Hello !

An Mi-17 with an Mi-24 in his 5 o'clock flew across the Humber Estuary
near Brough, south to north, at around 12.15 BST today (Sept 8th)

Anyone ANY idea who these two were and where they might have been going
from / to ??

(Gave me a slight "uh-oh" feeling :))

John the Elderly :))
James Hart
2006-09-08 16:47:28 UTC
Post by johnarro
Hello !
An Mi-17 with an Mi-24 in his 5 o'clock flew across the Humber Estuary
near Brough, south to north, at around 12.15 BST today (Sept 8th)
Anyone ANY idea who these two were and where they might have been
going from / to ??
(Gave me a slight "uh-oh" feeling :))
John the Elderly :))
Ahh, that's what they were then. I saw 2 chuffing big choppers heading up
that way about dinnet time, I'm about 70 miles south of you.
Steve Mc
2006-09-08 18:37:04 UTC
Post by johnarro
An Mi-17 with an Mi-24 in his 5 o'clock flew across the Humber Estuary
near Brough, south to north, at around 12.15 BST today (Sept 8th)
Anyone ANY idea who these two were and where they might have been
going from / to ??
I wonder whether this might be the answer:

http://www.airshow.co.uk/public/static

and look at 'Foreign Static'

Perhaps Czech air force heading north to Fife?
johnarro
2006-09-10 10:14:09 UTC
Post by James Hart
Ahh, that's what they were then. I saw 2 chuffing big choppers heading up
that way about dinner time
Well, that's what I'm PRETTY certain they were, though fading eyesight
with advancing years ... :)))

John
GARY STEDMAN
2006-09-10 22:09:20 UTC

It's been a while since I've posted here but can help out on this. These two
stopped at Wattisham thursday night (arriving about 17:45 and were hosted by
one the Apache units) and departed for Leuchars at 11:00 the following
morning. Apparently went into Northolt this afternoon on their way back.
Link below might be of some interest - right weather and right place and
time!

http://gary-stedman.fotopic.net/c1078005.html

Gary
John
johnarro
2006-09-11 09:32:46 UTC
Post by GARY STEDMAN
http://gary-stedman.fotopic.net/c1078005.html
Gary

SMASHING photographs !!

John
johnarro
2006-09-11 10:01:07 UTC
ps what a pity they didn't do a flyby over the Brough "Families Day" on
their way back ... would have helped fill up what looked like acres of
emptiness over the airfield ... a flyby or two from the Humberside
police helicopter very early on in the afternoon, a spirited display
from an RAF Valley (?) Hawk at around 3.35, and the Red Arrows display
at about 4.05.

Not even - so far as I could tell - a "Brough Airfield Air Traffic
Control" unit any more :((

Gone are the days ... etc :)

John
GARY STEDMAN
2006-09-11 20:14:22 UTC
Post by johnarro
ps what a pity they didn't do a flyby over the Brough "Families Day" on
their way back ... would have helped fill up what looked like acres of
emptiness over the airfield ... a flyby or two from the Humberside
police helicopter very early on in the afternoon, a spirited display
from an RAF Valley (?) Hawk at around 3.35, and the Red Arrows display
at about 4.05.
Not even - so far as I could tell - a "Brough Airfield Air Traffic
Control" unit any more :((
Gone are the days ... etc :)
John
Many thanks - and you're certainly right with the above.

Gary