European lightning data online
Peter
2006-07-27 07:00:03 UTC
I've been doing some web searching.

There are basically two ways to detect storms: detecting the
electrical discharges, and weather radar which detects water content.

The first is much easier, using a technology used in airborne
"stormscope" equipment, also known as sferics

http://edot.lanl.gov/ildc2000/node2.html

which uses a cheap receiver. There are many private (DIY)
installations around the world, many of which are networked via the
internet and the composite data is available free of charge.

The second (radar) is a lot more expensive, and is run by the various
national weather services. Historically, one always had to pay to get
this, but a lot of it is now "leaking" out onto the internet.

With sferics, it's important to use a multi-station composite picture,
because individually, the range can be anything up to 2x out - I know
this from flying behind a WX500 stormscope.

I have collected a few sites here (done by googling for certain
keywords):

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/sferics.html

One of the most interesting is the "downloadable java viewer" link.
Unzip the zipfile (3 files) into some folder, make a desktop shortcut
to lview.exe, and you have an all-Europe display produced by
correlating the data from many sferics sites. Amazing!!

Moving onto weather radar, this site (which I found in Usenet)

http://www.chmi.cz/OPERA/

contains links to some radar feeds

http://www.chmi.cz/OPERA/links.php#rdata

which includes the UK animated data

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/radar/animation.html

but it appears about 1 hour behind real time.

France is here

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/mameteo/sat.jsp

I also found

http://www.buienradar.nl/home.aspx?r=.peter2000.co.uk&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

which includes a chunk of the UK and is about 5-10 minutes behind real
time.

Radar data will be more accurate than stormscope but it's distributed
a lot less. There is more of it around on pay sites.

I hope this is helpful.
Tim Duke
2006-07-27 14:12:39 UTC
I found this one earlier today, centered over IOW.

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

Tim
Peter
2006-07-27 14:21:49 UTC
Post by Tim Duke
I found this one earlier today, centered over IOW.
http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm
Yes, that one is one of many sites around. However, being a single
site, the range is unconfirmed. Stormscope range is an estimate,
derived (I think) from the intensity and from the frequency dispersion
of the received signal. I've seen this to be out a factor of two or
more. This isn't weather *radar* which gives an accurate range
(subject to a whole lot of other limitations).
Les Hemmings
2006-07-29 16:10:12 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Tim Duke
I found this one earlier today, centered over IOW.
http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm
Yes, that one is one of many sites around. However, being a single
site, the range is unconfirmed.
This ine triangulates from more than one detector..

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light0900.htm
--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/