Daft question about "ground-base aerial markers"? (I dunno!)
john smith
2010-05-31 23:41:57 UTC
Hi there!

This is a *really* daft question but I'm sure you guys could answer it in a
flash...

On a recent drive my friend pointed out these marker-things by the side of
the road. They're poles with little triangular bird-house type "flaps" on
the top coloured bright orange that he reckoned were markers for overhead
planes to see. Do you guys know what they're called - how they're used -
and if there are any websites that chart out their paths?

Thanks in advance!

(Told you it was a daft question!)
unknown
2010-06-01 00:50:58 UTC
Post by john smith
On a recent drive my friend pointed out these marker-things by the side of
the road. They're poles with little triangular bird-house type "flaps" on
the top coloured bright orange that he reckoned were markers for overhead
planes to see. Do you guys know what they're called - how they're used -
and if there are any websites that chart out their paths?
They are pipeline markers. I'm not aware of any other name for them.
They look like this: http://tinyurl.com/38hyvxs

Each company has a slightly different variant of the marker - see the
bottom of the second page of this PDF.

Aerial inspection are done to look for anyone starting construction work
close to the pipeline and to look for signs of leaks. Fairly ovious
signs would be dead or dying plants, clouds of vapour or obvious oil
leaks. It's also possible to spot some leaks using thermal imaging and
by the use of ionization detectors that can "sniff" tiny amounts of
hydrocarbons from a low-flying aeroplane.
john smith
2010-06-01 01:29:57 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
[...]
Fantastic! Thanks for your speedy reply! (Isn't the internet great?) That
explains why I saw them alongside these hugh pipes they were burying in a
field. Now I'm wondering: how do I find out just what these pipes were for?
;-)

(Go and look at the planning permission info at the local town hall, I
suppose...)
unknown
2010-06-01 04:46:47 UTC
Post by john smith
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
[...]
What colour were the pipes?
There's a standard for that.
--
"When once man has flown, he will walk the earth with his eyes turned skyward,
for where he has been, there he will long to return." -- Leonardo da Vinci.
john smith
2010-06-01 22:59:49 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
[...]
I think they were a pale blueish - but it was a while ago now...
me
2010-06-02 09:30:08 UTC
Post by john smith
Post by unknown
What colour were the pipes?
There's a standard for that.
--
I think they were a pale blueish - but it was a while ago now...
Not sure if it's the same standard for cross country pipelines, but from

http://www.rospa.com/faqs/detail.aspx?faq=262

maybe it was water?
john smith
2010-06-05 16:06:48 UTC
Post by me
Post by john smith
Post by unknown
What colour were the pipes?
There's a standard for that.
Cheers for that!
unknown
john smith
2010-06-05 16:07:20 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
[...]
Thanks for everyone's prompt help! My curiosity has now been satisfied!
brian whatcott
2010-06-03 00:07:14 UTC
Post by john smith
Post by unknown
Post by john smith
[...]
Round here,(Oklahoma) pipes carrying fuel have markers at road
crossings, I notice.

Brian W