What happened to "A Plane is Born" plane
Lev
2006-10-02 19:21:06 UTC
Just watched on Discovery Wings the last programme of the "A Plane is
Born" series, about Mark Evans building a Europa kit (I think this was
filmed in 2000) - http://www.aplaneisborn.com/

I just wondering what happened to that plane? Is it still flying? The
plane in the programme does not seem to have a registration number, so
it is quite difficult to find any reference to it on the net.

Thanks
gAiL
2006-10-03 12:52:29 UTC
Post by Lev
Just watched on Discovery Wings the last programme of the "A Plane is
Born" series, about Mark Evans building a Europa kit (I think this was
filmed in 2000) - http://www.aplaneisborn.com/
Funny thing is, I met him once years ago, when he was still a vet. He was as
bonkers then as he is on TV - a really nice bloke.

Spod
2006-10-03 17:03:37 UTC
The plane that was flown in the program is not the one that was built.

If you go back through the build you will see him fit a Rotax 912S engine
(Green rocker covers) and a WarpDrive ground adjustable prop. The aircraft
that emerges from the paint shop has a 914 (red covers) and an Airmaster in
flight adjustable prop.
Due to pressure of time G-CHET was used for the flying sequences. The reg'
is just visable under the port wing on the "first flight".
The aircraft that was built during the series was registered G-OIZI (i2i
television) and never actually flew.

spod
Thanks
Charlie+
2006-10-05 15:05:51 UTC
On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:03:37 +0100, "Spod" <***@bc.biz> wrote as underneath my
scribble :

Any idea why not? All seems a bit of a con bearing in mind the eulogies the
programme ended with!!
Did the same happen with the helicopter and the cars?
Charlie+
Greg
2006-10-05 17:54:13 UTC
Post by Charlie+
Any idea why not? All seems a bit of a con bearing in mind the eulogies the
programme ended with!!
A TV program that's a fake, get away, you'll be telling me next that scrap
heap challenge wasn't a real scrap heap after all 8-).
Greg
Lev
2006-10-06 08:11:04 UTC
Post by Spod
The aircraft that was built during the series was registered G-OIZI (i2i
television) and never actually flew.
Never flew during the programme, or never ever flew? Seems such a waste
of perfectly good plane.

Talking about kits - as I understand, the attractiveness of the kit
plane is in the fact that, because you have put at least 500 hours
building it yourself, you are trusted with maintenance of it and
therefore can get away cheaply.

But what would happen if plane is built by a group of individuals, like
in the programme, where Mark had relatively large team helping him? No
single individual spent 500 hours on the plane there. Will the plane
still qualify for cheap "self maintenance"?
Spod
2006-10-06 17:40:35 UTC
Post by Lev
Post by Spod
The aircraft that was built during the series was registered G-OIZI (i2i
television) and never actually flew.
Never flew during the programme, or never ever flew? Seems such a waste
of perfectly good plane.
Never actually flew (yet!)

When Europa Management International Ltd went bust in 2004 I believe it was
taken as settlement by one of the creditors. It might still reappear.

Europa 2004 bought the assets of the company and still supply kits and
spares. The Europa owners club can ve found at
http://www.europaclub.org.uk/

Spod
David Cartwright
2006-10-08 09:51:25 UTC
Post by Spod
When Europa Management International Ltd went bust in 2004 I believe it
was taken as settlement by one of the creditors. It might still reappear.
According to the CAA register it was de-registered in '04 - though I guess
it could conceivably have since appeared on a register in another country.

D.
Lev