Shoreham Air Display Tragedy
J.W.Compton
2015-08-24 09:12:50 UTC
The 37 sec clip from the guardian, shows a flash, just before the top of the
loop.

Aviation expert Julian Bray said the pilot may have made a misjudgement.
“The aircraft should have been 500ft above the ground and it certainly wasn’t,”
he said. “The other possibility is the engine actually flamed out at one
point and the pilot was trying to restart it while he was doing the loop.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/23/shoreham-air-show-crash-first-three-victims-named

He uses the word "possibility" but surely there can be no other explanation
for the flash from the Hunter?
The Nomad
2015-08-24 10:29:11 UTC
Post by J.W.Compton
He uses the word "possibility" but surely there can be no other
explanation for the flash from the Hunter?
From a look at the video it does not look like a flame-out:

See <Loading Image...>

Condolences to all concerned!

Avpx
--
"Nah," he said, eventually. "I've looked at the colours on
flowers. They're definitely built-in."
11:25:01 up 4 days, 17:51, 2 users, load average: 0.52, 0.56, 0.63
J.W.Compton
2015-08-24 11:49:28 UTC
See <http://www.dctower.nildram.co.uk/temp.jpg>
Post by The Nomad
Condolences to all concerned!
Thanks for that Nick and agreed, thoughts with those families effected.

I just felt that aviation expert Julian Bray may have been premature in
suggesting pilot Andy Hill may have made a misjudgement.

Bray's words "the other possibility is the engine actually flamed out".

Well IF there was a flame-out say, just before the top of the loop - rolling
out with insufficient speed, may have induced a spin .... right above the
airfield!

Obviously the very worst time/place to have a flame-out but maybe Andy Hill
did the right thing, in continuing the loop and trying to regain airspeed?

I guess we'll find out after the enquiry, although I'm not sure how advanced
the black boxes are in these old historic jets.