Is a current medical required to revalidate a CAA PPL?
N***@easily.co.uk
2007-11-11 22:15:30 UTC
My UK CAA medical has lapsed but I am still legal to fly with my FAA
PPL & valid medical. Since I need to complete the 2 year revalidation
is it acceptable or do I need a CAA medical for the flight?

I have been told that since my revalidation does not include the 12
hour requirement in the last 12 months I need to do a skill test.
That's ok ok but I've have also been told it now includes a Nav
exercise.

Seems over the top when I've been flying for 16 years and have 500
hours without getting lost!
Peter
2007-11-12 07:47:02 UTC
Post by N***@easily.co.uk
My UK CAA medical has lapsed but I am still legal to fly with my FAA
PPL & valid medical. Since I need to complete the 2 year revalidation
is it acceptable or do I need a CAA medical for the flight?
I have been told that since my revalidation does not include the 12
hour requirement in the last 12 months I need to do a skill test.
That's ok ok but I've have also been told it now includes a Nav
exercise.
Seems over the top when I've been flying for 16 years and have 500
hours without getting lost!
I would not think you need a medical for any flight with an
instructor.

Could be wrong of course.

The CAA 2-yearly test flight should be no problem for anybody who can
actually fly. The only problem would be having to dust off the stupid
circular slide rule but I would be suprised this was mandatory.

You don't need a full skills test. If you have not met the 12hr/2 year
requirement then you need to fly with an examiner (rather than just an
instructor) but it's not the full thing.

(AFAIK)
NoSpam
2007-11-13 11:57:23 UTC
Post by N***@easily.co.uk
My UK CAA medical has lapsed but I am still legal to fly with my FAA
PPL & valid medical. Since I need to complete the 2 year revalidation
is it acceptable or do I need a CAA medical for the flight?
I have been told that since my revalidation does not include the 12
hour requirement in the last 12 months I need to do a skill test.
That's ok ok but I've have also been told it now includes a Nav
exercise.
Seems over the top when I've been flying for 16 years and have 500
hours without getting lost!
Yes, it's a renewal rather than a revalidation so you need to do an LST
rather than an LPC; the content is the same with the exception of a
little bit of Nav. An examiner should soon be able to determine whether
or not you know how to navigate, so in your case this phase is only
likely to last 10-15 minutes and the rest should take 30-40 minutes
depending on the need for any repeats, airspace and other delays. See
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157.pdf for the content.

Medical status is not on the form which the examiner signs
(http://www.advisorybodies.doh.gov.uk/pdfs/annex5.4srg1119tox0710.pdf).
Personally I check whether the medical is valid but would not refuse to
sign the rating page or form if it was not.

Answers to most licencing questions are (fairly) easily found in LASORS:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf

Dave
N***@easily.co.uk
2007-11-13 20:04:03 UTC
Thanks Dave, I didn't think of LASORS.
The examiner was not sure but was going to check today as I fly
tomorrow. Should be fun as I've not flown for 6 months :-(