TCAS, phew!
david
2006-06-30 11:48:57 UTC
Had an interesting event last night. ATC cleared me to climb from FL350 to
370. Seconds afterwards he said "correction, maintain 350".
We had a quick look at TCAS then out the window as a plane flew by us...at
+1000 ...roughly, nay, exactly, where we'd have been by that time!

Because it was late and we were knackered it was one of those very rare
times we pulled the climb lever before checking TCAS. Glad *he* was on the
ball in the end.

Peter
2006-06-30 13:19:10 UTC
Post by david
Because it was late and we were knackered it was one of those very rare
times we pulled the climb lever before checking TCAS. Glad *he* was on the
ball in the end.
Would you not have got an avoidance advisory (or whatever it is
called) from the TCAS, anyway?
david
2006-07-01 07:55:15 UTC
Yes we would Peter, but a head on rel.vel gives huge closure rates, together
with a good rate of climb (we were below optimum so could have shot up) all
added to tired pilots late at night....

It is most likely that we would have had our blood pressures raised and all
would have been well, but you never know!