Blood pressure monitor Lidel
Charlie+
2006-07-17 07:53:31 UTC
Just a headsup for those that might be interested - my local Lidel have the
wrist type BP monitors this week for £9.99. Wrist type are not as consistant as
the arm type but used sensibly will give good readings, wrist to heart level
being crucial. The price is amazing!
Charlie+
Peter
2006-07-17 16:54:47 UTC
Post by Charlie+
Just a headsup for those that might be interested - my local Lidel have the
wrist type BP monitors this week for £9.99. Wrist type are not as consistant as
the arm type but used sensibly will give good readings, wrist to heart level
being crucial. The price is amazing!
Charlie+
If the quality of the LIDL product is similar to the quality of the
rest of the stuff they sell, I would avoid it :)

The difference between a BP reading which is average, and one which
makes you fail your CAA/FAA medical and makes your GP suggest you go
on medication, is quite narrow.
Charlie+
2006-07-18 07:50:13 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:54:47 +0100, Peter <***@somewhere-in-the-uk.com> wrote
as underneath my scribble :

As I said - you have to be sensible, not an idiot, such as one making such a
statement might be taken as..
Richard Herring
2006-07-20 19:02:04 UTC
Post by Peter
If the quality of the LIDL product is similar to the quality of the
rest of the stuff they sell, I would avoid it :)
After all, the point of taking your own BP is to find out what
circumstances raise or lower it, not to get a value traceable back to
the NPL. The final arbiter is going to be the AMe's machine, not yours.

Absolute accuracy isn't so important as repeatability, and cheap
consumer electronics tends to be quite good at that.
Richard Herring <mailto:***@clupeid.demon.co.uk>
Peter
2006-07-21 09:38:40 UTC
Post by Richard Herring
After all, the point of taking your own BP is to find out what
circumstances raise or lower it, not to get a value traceable back to
the NPL. The final arbiter is going to be the AMe's machine, not yours.
However, the AME's machine is exactly identical to the £100 model
which I have just bought from Boots....!

This method of BP measurement is not traceable to anything whatsoever.
It's obvious it's only approximate.

But it's enough to fail your aviation medical.