PPL Written Exams, preparation for a UK Expat - please advise.
a***@yahoo.com
2006-11-27 12:55:48 UTC

I'm a first time poster (browsed a fair bit).

My background is that I'm a UK expat living in North Africa and I want
to gain my PPL.

Due to language difficulities (i.e. over here PPL is taken in French)
and a host of other issues, I'd prefer to take my PPL in the UK.

Where I live though, flying is pretty cheap, and from my perspective a
whole lot more enjoyable than it would be in the UK (the airspace is
pretty empty and weather is almost always nice - also the scenary is
spectacular !)

Now (don't laugh !) I haven't had much experience in flying real single
engine planes (apart from my Microsoft Flight Simulator even though I
do have and use on it a 'proper' CH Yoke, Rudder Pedals and 'real'
weather etc).

I've been up in a real Cessna twice.

I have purchased the Trevor Thom series of books, the Q&A Confuser, and
have ordered UK maps, flight computers, Plotters etc (which should be
with me shortly).

My questions are;

1) Where do I start ?? By that I mean, I want to get my licence in
2007 - that's my goal.

I have a fair bit of free time over the next 3 to 4 months and would
like to get some of the exams out of the way before I spend a lot of
time actual flying (I'd like to get at most 3 of them out of the way by
March 2007). But, I'm finding all of the studying a bit overwhelming
(there's just too many books!). Which exams would you say I should
tackle first ?? (the ones I find the most boring is the Air Law. The
one I find the next most difficult is the Meteorology). The others I
think I'll have no problem with. Do you think I should put all of the
books away and only study one ??

2) Second question, is that I've yet to choose my flying school (in the
UK). I think I've nailed it down to a couple, but my actual question
is which plane to learn in ?? I know it may sound a bit silly, but I
don't like the look of a Cessna. I prefer the look of a low-wing
aircraft. That usually only leaves the Piper Warrior. I also don't
like the Cessna from the point of view of visibility when doing turns
(this I only have experience of in my Simulation sessions, i.e. when
you bank from Downwind only base leg, or from Base onto Final, in a
Cessna you can't always see the runway). But on the other hand I get
the impression that a Cessna is real easy to fly. Also, from where I'm
living the problem is that they don't have any Piper aircraft (they do
have Socata TB-9s though as well as Cessnas). Any advice here ?? i.e.
do I learn in an aircraft that is most popular (from the point of view
of hiring once passed, i.e. the Cessna) or do I go for what will
'please' me to learn in even though the chances are that I'll have to
hire something else once I've passed (ie. the Piper) ??

My intentions are to then later on have my own plane in my host county
(as it'd be a much more pleasant a speedier way of travel than taking
the car) - in which case it'll be a Cirrus... (only joking !).

Any pointers/advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Peter
2006-11-27 15:56:51 UTC
You are going to let loads of replies :)

First, get yourself a CAA/JAA Class 2 medical, or at least get hold of
the requirements and get a local doctor to check that you will meet
them.

The exams are mostly boring and yes the stuff is mostly a load of
crap, but you have to grind your way through them.

You aren't the only one who dislikes Cesspits. The high wing blocks
your view when turning steeply. But, you get a better downward view
enroute, and they are easier to land (for a novice, anyway) due to the
much smaller ground effect (GE gives a tendency to float along the
runway if you come in too fast). A Cesspit also has better short field
performance which may be relevant in Africa; most of Africa seems to
run on old Cessnas and similar types. But if you can get a reasonable
700m+ runway then this doesn't matter.

The Warrior is a reasonable low wing choice for training because you
can hire them easily, and they are OK for doing distances. A TB9 has
similar performance to a Warrior but (comparing condition for
condition) is much nicer internally (I fly a TB20) which is
particularly relevant if you want to take some "ordinary" people with
you.

Have you thought about doing a local (African) PPL? Or is there no
such thing?

The other option is an FAA PPL. I hold both a JAA PPL and a standalone
(not a piggyback) FAA PPL. The FAA PPL study contains far less crap
than the JAA PPL, but the "practical" content is a bit bigger. It's
probably easier to study for it as a result. About 75% of the world's
GA runs under FAA and an FAA PPL very likely counts for more around
the world than a UK/JAA one. Much depends on where you want to settle
one day. You can fly a G-reg on an FAA PPL, worldwide, but you will
probably get short thrift from the average UK flying school/club if
you want to rent something from them. I would check the attitude to
FAA licenses where you live and what is involved in using them in
locally registered aircraft, or for that matter what is involved in
simply buying a US-reg (N-reg) airplane and flying that, on your FAA
PPL of course. I have never flown in Africa but I don't really think
that the numerous little airplanes flying around Africa are doing it
on *JAA* licenses.... I also think a lot of them are on the N
register. The FAA PPL is also an essential step to the FAA IR which is
the route of choice if you want IFR privileges. If you think the JAA
PPL study is a load of crap, wait to see the JAA IR study :) Some
notes on the FAA PPL are here

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/faa-pplir/pplir.html

Hope this helps.

As to which flying school, there are so many.... I am sure if you post
the proposed UK location then somebody here will recommend one.
Hi,
E-mail replies to ***@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
a***@yahoo.com
2006-11-27 17:14:06 UTC
Post by Peter
You are going to let loads of replies :)
First, get yourself a CAA/JAA Class 2 medical, or at least get hold of
the requirements and get a local doctor to check that you will meet
them.
Fair point - though I'd hope that I'd get no surprises on that score (I
consider myself reasonably fit).
Post by Peter
The exams are mostly boring and yes the stuff is mostly a load of
crap, but you have to grind your way through them.
The one I find boring is the Airlaw one. How do you suggest I tackle
the exams, concentrate on one at a time ??

If so, in which order would you recommend I study / take them ??
Post by Peter
Have you thought about doing a local (African) PPL? Or is there no
such thing?
Yes there is, but the exam is in French and although I speak it well, I
don't want to learn 'technical' French before I can even understand
anything else !! Also, my local club recommended that I took the UK
one (not specifically) - though his is from the US.
Post by Peter
[...]
Now I'm confused, and almost miffed ! Does this mean that if I do the
JAR-FCL PPL licence in the UK that I'm restricting myself for things
later down the line ??

Does it also mean that the books I've bought are the wrong ones !!!!

I do have relatives in Florida (all over) who'd be able to put me up
for several weeks.

Basically, I want to fly in Africa and maybe other places around the
world (on holidays etc). I'm not actually particularly aiming to get
this in order to fly in the UK.

Getting ratings later down the line would be of great interest to me
(night, instrument etc).

Now I'm confused JAR or FAA ??

Also Peter, why is the FAA IR the route of choice ??
Peter
2006-11-27 15:49:45 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
The one I find boring is the Airlaw one. How do you suggest I tackle
the exams, concentrate on one at a time ??
I don't think it matters. If you were training in the UK, they would
get you to do flight training interspersed with the exams. I think
they make you pass Air Law before they let you do the first solo
flight but I have no idea if this is mandatory.

It's obviously easier to revise+pass them one at a time. The book you
want is called a PPL Confuser. It contains about 100 sample questions
for each exam which actually has about 25. It gets criticised but it
gets you through it :)
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yes there is, but the exam is in French and although I speak it well, I
don't want to learn 'technical' French before I can even understand
anything else !! Also, my local club recommended that I took the UK
one (not specifically) -
I wonder why
Post by a***@yahoo.com
though his is from the US.
Suprise suprise :)
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Now I'm confused, and almost miffed ! Does this mean that if I do the
JAR-FCL PPL licence in the UK that I'm restricting myself for things
later down the line ??
Depends on your later ambitions.

To a UK/JAA PPL license you can add the IMC Rating which gives you IFR
privileges in the UK, but if you aren't going to live there... ?
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Does it also mean that the books I've bought are the wrong ones !!!!
Probably. Put them on Ebay :)
Post by a***@yahoo.com
I do have relatives in Florida (all over) who'd be able to put me up
for several weeks.
Basically, I want to fly in Africa and maybe other places around the
world (on holidays etc). I'm not actually particularly aiming to get
this in order to fly in the UK.
Getting ratings later down the line would be of great interest to me
(night, instrument etc).
Now I'm confused JAR or FAA ??
Sounds like you should do the FAA PPL, when youa re in the USA. You
have the TSA/Visa crap to work through; that's the only problem.
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Also Peter, why is the FAA IR the route of choice ??
Because it's doable for a busy individual. You also need the aircraft
reg to match the issue country of the IR (e.g. FAA+FAA) to get
worldwide privileges, and the FAA certification/maintenance regime is
the one of choice in most of the world.

You could get a Mongolian PPL/IR but then you need a Mongolian
airplane to get the IFR privileges, which is probably difficult :)

The only pressing reason for getting a *JAA* PPL is to enable you to
rent various Euro-reg airplanes. The UK is fairly unusual in that with
an FAA (or any ICAO) PPL you can fly a G-reg airplane worldwide, with
no formality; other countries are more complicated. But then if you
want to do the IR it has to be a JAA IR and that has a very extensive
ground school, 2-3 feet of paper thickness.

If you want to do the IR, and you are mobile and living in a fairly
free part of the world, the FAA route has got to be the only way to
go.
Simon Hobson
2006-11-27 23:31:25 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter
First, get yourself a CAA/JAA Class 2 medical, or at least get hold of
the requirements and get a local doctor to check that you will meet
them.
Fair point - though I'd hope that I'd get no surprises on that score (I
consider myself reasonably fit).
Unfortunately, that is no guarantee ! The CAA seem to have some 'interesting'
ideas of what it takes to be fit. It's worth finding out beforehand if
there's a problem - rather than after 2 months and a couple of thousand
pounds of training.
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter
The exams are mostly boring and yes the stuff is mostly a load of
crap, but you have to grind your way through them.
The one I find boring is the Airlaw one. How do you suggest I tackle
the exams, concentrate on one at a time ??
If so, in which order would you recommend I study / take them ??
It's about 6 years since I did mine - and from memory I'd say :

Tackle them one at a time.

Skim through all the books earlyish to get a feel for what's in there.

During your training, try and agree in advance what you are going to be doing
- then read up before the lessons. It will make things a lot clearer,
otherwise you will spend a lot of time buzzing around at £100+/hr while the
instructor explains it !

Be aware that exam passes have a limited life - I had to retake Air law
because it had expired before I finished.
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Peter
Have you thought about doing a local (African) PPL? Or is there no
such thing?
Yes there is, but the exam is in French and although I speak it well, I
don't want to learn 'technical' French before I can even understand
anything else !! Also, my local club recommended that I took the UK
one (not specifically) - though his is from the US.
Might be worth finding out what is required to 'convert' a foreign licence,
or to get a foreign licence validated for local use. If, for example, they
will let you have a local licence based on a UK or US licence then you could
have the best of both worlds.
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Now I'm confused, and almost miffed ! Does this mean that if I do the
JAR-FCL PPL licence in the UK that I'm restricting myself for things
later down the line ??
Certainly ruling out an IR unless you really do have a lot of spare cash !
Post by a***@yahoo.com
I do have relatives in Florida (all over) who'd be able to put me up
for several weeks.
If you find the right school then you can do both the FAA and CAA/JAA at the
same time - most of the flight training is the same, just the exams are
different.
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Basically, I want to fly in Africa and maybe other places around the
world (on holidays etc). I'm not actually particularly aiming to get
this in order to fly in the UK.
If you don't plan to fly in the UK (much) then the CAA/JAA route probably
isn't the most useful.
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Getting ratings later down the line would be of great interest to me
(night, instrument etc).
Now I'm confused JAR or FAA ??
Also Peter, why is the FAA IR the route of choice ??
Got time to take a year off work, AND support yourself without the income,
AND pay for the mandatory ground school (last I heard you still had to do the
ATPL exams !), AND pay for the flight training ? If so then consider a JAA
IR, otherwise consider an FAA IR which is designed to be accessible, rather
than being designed to prevent 'the wrong sort' getting into the club.

Whilst the UK does have the IMC rating (which is quite accessible), it is
only valid in UK airspace.
Alt Beer
2006-11-28 15:51:46 UTC
Post by Simon Hobson
Be aware that exam passes have a limited life - I had to retake Air law
because it had expired before I finished.
Anyone know how long the exams stay valid before needing to retake?
I cant remember if its 18 months or 2 years.

Thanks
Simon Hobson
2006-11-30 21:56:21 UTC
Post by Alt Beer
Anyone know how long the exams stay valid before needing to retake?
I cant remember if its 18 months or 2 years.
IIRC it was only 12 months when I did my PPL (6 years ago). Don't know if
it's changed since.
Alt Beer
2006-12-05 09:22:52 UTC
Post by Alt Beer
Anyone know how long the exams stay valid before needing to retake?
From LASORS 2006 Section C
JAR-FCL PPL (AEROPLANE)
C1.3 JAR-FCL PPL(A)THEORETICAL
KNOWLEDGE EXAMINATION
REQUIREMENTS

These examinations contain multiple-choice
questions for the most part and are normally
conducted under the auspices of a Flight Training
Organisation or a Registered Facility. An
applicant shall be deemed to have successfully
completed the theoretical examinations for the
JAR-FCL PPL(A) when awarded a pass in all of
the above examinations within a period of 18
months. A pass will be accepted for the grant of
a JAR-FCL PPL(A) during the 24 months from
the date of successfully completing all of the
theoretical knowledge examinations.

karel
2006-11-27 20:42:24 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Hi,
I'm a first time poster (browsed a fair bit).
My background is that I'm a UK expat living in North Africa and I want
to gain my PPL.
Due to language difficulities (i.e. over here PPL is taken in French)
and a host of other issues, I'd prefer to take my PPL in the UK.
Do you have any idea where you'll be flying once it all works out?
If in your present whereabouts,
you'll have to do in French anyway so better begin in that corner.

If OTOH you'll be back in merry old England pretty soon,
learning French T/C would be a waste of effort.

Be aware of the difference in style behind the
language variations: English T/C is much restricted
to a limited set of strict phrases ("entering L/H downwind")
whereas the French tradition allows for discussion
of past or future dinner, company of attractive sex and more...
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Where I live though, flying is pretty cheap, and from my perspective a
whole lot more enjoyable than it would be in the UK (the airspace is
pretty empty and weather is almost always nice - also the scenary is
spectacular !)
Yes, your present habitation seems a better place for basic training.
Both weather and hourly rates will be much more favourable.
The hard point is to decide your final goal.
If you ultimately wish and hope to fly IFR on your own behalf,
the FAA IFR license seems the least expensive option by far.
I understand this is the prime way to go
for private IFR excursions over Europe as a whole.
But this newsgroup counts a couple of members
much better qualified for commenting here.

OTOH if you think to be back in England rather soon
and forthwith refrain to a Sunday afternoon outing to Le Touquet
at the very best, JAR PPL + UK IMC rating
make a fair compromise for less money.

What training you can get locally towards either path
must be inquired locally, I'm afraid. The crucial point being
approval of your training organisation by the relevant authority,
either local or (uk) CAA or (usa) FAA or whoever.
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Now (don't laugh !) I haven't had much experience in flying real single
engine planes (apart from my Microsoft Flight Simulator even though I
do have and use on it a 'proper' CH Yoke, Rudder Pedals and 'real'
weather etc).
These cheapo simulations are said to have a certain value
in IFR preparation. I can assure you they don't help an inch
in basic training. Basic training is about feeling at home up there
& getting acquainted with noise and steep turns
& about attention wanted in a zillion places at one and the same time.
Not to forget feeling in your buttocks how to
make a proper turn!
Post by a***@yahoo.com
I've been up in a real Cessna twice.
Tssssk. Shame on you!!!!
Post by a***@yahoo.com
I have purchased the Trevor Thom series of books, the Q&A Confuser, and
have ordered UK maps, flight computers, Plotters etc (which should be
with me shortly).
My questions are;
1) Where do I start ?? By that I mean, I want to get my licence in
2007 - that's my goal.
Start with two or three local flights with a local instructor,
explaining your goals before. If (s)he's any good, your
interest will be appreciated and worked up to.
If not: go elsewhere.

Most important is to make sure you love flying
and not merely love the idea of being a pilot.
There's a difference, really!

( ... )
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
This depends on budget (a delicate point!) and again on final goals.
If your final goal is to fly a LearJet and your budget allows so,
do the PPL in a LearJet! Nothing gets faster or smoother!
But if you're like most humans, your budget limitations
will incite you to do each phase of training on the plane
best suited to that phase's level of difficulty.

For myself, I am building hours on an ULM
because it was obvious I needed a lot of hours
of basic training before the PPL,
and an ULM is even cheaper than a C152.
Peter
2006-11-28 03:02:50 UTC
Post by karel
Do you have any idea where you'll be flying once it all works out?
If in your present whereabouts,
you'll have to do in French anyway so better begin in that corner.
If OTOH you'll be back in merry old England pretty soon,
learning French T/C would be a waste of effort.
It is a very valid point that this man should do his training locally,
where he has nice weather and presumably access to cheap flying. I
have no idea which bit of Africa speaks French; presumably somewhere
in the north? It doesn't really affect matters.

All training he gets is allowable towards an FAA license. He will of
course still have to meet the FAA oral+flight test standards but a lot
of flight training is just basic handling, and accumulation of logbook
entries like specific types of night flights, etc.

So, get training done to FAA standards where you are, and then go off
to the USA to finish off.

The language is a fair point but international airfields must be
capable of speaking English. If this man can speak French then he can
learn the standard calls easily.

For a Brit, the danger in learning the standard French circuit calls
is that they might start talking to you in French and they you have a
major problem :) But that is the price of flying into
non-international airports. I have always avoided doing that; no
problem since I nearly always need Customs anyway.

The JAA IR isn't quite the whole JAA ATPL ground school, but it is
most of it. It's a huge undertaking which almost nobody does today,
for private flying.
karel
2006-11-28 18:35:41 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by karel
Do you have any idea where you'll be flying once it all works out?
If in your present whereabouts,
you'll have to do in French anyway so better begin in that corner.
If OTOH you'll be back in merry old England pretty soon,
learning French T/C would be a waste of effort.
It is a very valid point that this man should do his training locally,
where he has nice weather and presumably access to cheap flying. I
have no idea which bit of Africa speaks French; presumably somewhere
in the north? It doesn't really affect matters.
Just for the sake of completeness: French is of course prevalent
in the former French colonies, and these are in the big western chunk,
including Marocco, Tunisia, Algeria, and most places to the south of these
up to and including the two Congo's. English dominates the east and south
of Africa, and is gradually gaining on French, i.e. in Congo (former Zaire)
In fact the recent presidential election was a race between a francophone
from the capital and an anglophone from the east, the latter won.
The north-east is Arab, and this also seems to be expanding,
along with the growing influence of Islam.
Some countries keep up ties with their former colonisators,
like the Portuguese-speaking Angola and Moçambique.
And from the website of Air Namibia I gain an impression
that Namibia still remembers its German colonisation,
though that ended with the Versailles treaty...
Post by Peter
All training he gets is allowable towards an FAA license. He will of
course still have to meet the FAA oral+flight test standards but a lot
of flight training is just basic handling, and accumulation of logbook
entries like specific types of night flights, etc.
This really true? ALL TRAINING HE GETS?
Shouldn't that read "all training he gets from an instructor
approved in some way or other by the FAA" ?
If so, what are the FAA's criteria for approving an instructor?
Do they honour local licenses?

( snip )
Post by Peter
If this man can speak French then he can
learn the standard calls easily.
Yes but that's exactly his point: local PPL training is in French
and apparently he has a problem there.
Post by Peter
For a Brit, the danger in learning the standard French circuit calls
is that they might start talking to you in French and they you have a
major problem :)
You might. But most French people will realize from your accent
you have some limitations with their language. Most but not all, indeed...
I think if I were to get a message I could not work out, I'd request
in English they tell me in English... which they're still supposed to master
even if many don't.
Peter
2006-11-28 17:31:36 UTC
Post by karel
This really true? ALL TRAINING HE GETS?
Shouldn't that read "all training he gets from an instructor
approved in some way or other by the FAA" ?
If so, what are the FAA's criteria for approving an instructor?
Do they honour local licenses?
All training done under ICAO is allowable for FAA. And why not? It is
only Europe that tries to protect its flying schools.

To cut a long story short, for the FAA PPL CPL or IR you need to be
signed off by an FAA instructor as ready for the oral+checkride. You
also need to have flown 3hrs with him within 60 days of the checkride.
These few hours, plus any training which he deems you need to meet the
PTS (practical test standards) need to be done by an FAA instructor
otherwise he won't sign you off. For my FAA IR, I had to do about 20
additional hours before he would sign me off. For the FAA PPL, about
5hrs.

All the stuff before that can be done anywhere under ICAO, in any reg
aircraft. Not a lot of people know that :)

This is a major "tip" for anyone doing a JAA PPL who wants to progress
from there: make sure that you meet the FAA requirements whenever
possible during your training. They are usually more onerous than JAA
requirements (e.g. longer and more specific night flights) but it's no
big deal when you are already going flying anyway.
Post by karel
Post by Peter
For a Brit, the danger in learning the standard French circuit calls
is that they might start talking to you in French and they you have a
major problem :)
You might. But most French people will realize from your accent
you have some limitations with their language. Most but not all, indeed...
I think if I were to get a message I could not work out, I'd request
in English they tell me in English... which they're still supposed to master
even if many don't.
What I was referring to is the apparently common practice for Brit
pilots going to France to learn the phrases verbatim without any
understanding of French. So, you can say "downwind" in French but if
the man replies to you, you will not understand it :)