Red Bull Air Race at Longleat - Radio Frequencies
Lev
2006-08-28 11:27:03 UTC
Hi

Does anyone know whether it will be possible to listen to radio comms
at Red Bull Air Race at Longleat? How can i find out the frequency they
use?

Thanks
david
2006-08-28 11:51:49 UTC
Post by Lev
Hi
Does anyone know whether it will be possible to listen to radio comms
at Red Bull Air Race at Longleat? How can i find out the frequency they
use?
A scanner would be a good start. Alternatively, ask them. They'll be
standard aeronaitical freqs presumably. But I doubt the pilots will be
saying much during their own runs. I guess you'll only here standard RT in
use, so probably a let down (and not an IF one)!

David
Lev
2006-08-28 12:29:20 UTC
Thanks David

I have a scanner. I just need to know what to set it to. I understand
that there might not be much going on, but still, it is better to have
scanner tuned in and not hear anything rather then don't have the
scanner and keep wondering whether you are missing anything interesting

David
david
2006-08-28 16:55:30 UTC
Lev,

just set to scan between 118 and 136 MHz then, it'll find 'em!. You
probably know that though!

David
Lev
Thanks
karel
2006-08-28 16:43:28 UTC
Post by Lev
Hi
Does anyone know whether it will be possible to listen to radio comms
at Red Bull Air Race at Longleat? How can i find out the frequency they
use?
Don't know about them US
but over here in Belgium Europe
such things are published by Notam.
Of course we're not at the peak of progress...
Lev
2006-08-28 17:14:51 UTC
Hi

Found this picture:

Author claims that this is a shot from a film about the race. He argues
that the diagram proves that all planes are equipped with satellite
transmitters and all comms are done via satellites.

Can it be true?
Thanks
david
2006-08-29 10:47:40 UTC
Well the shot shown is a page from a manual on satcom. So what?

If a race organsier said to you as a pilot let's use satcom surely the first
thing you'd say is "why??" I don't know, but I really cant imagine them
going to the expense when they'll all have VHF anyway. It's hardly a
secret affair is it?

Neil G
2006-08-29 19:52:07 UTC
Post by Lev
Hi
Does anyone know whether it will be possible to listen to radio comms
at Red Bull Air Race at Longleat? How can i find out the frequency they
use?
Thanks
If its VHF, they'll probably have applied and paid for a short-term
frequency on a A/G basis. I bet some lucky ATCO has scammed working
the ground station :)
Lev
2006-09-02 21:27:53 UTC
Race got cancelled :-(

I was truly amazed by the turnout. i would never imagine that there are
so many people interested in air racing. I bet with proper management
and marketing it could become bigger then F1

But actually this race suffered not only from bad weather. I do not
think venue was capable of coping with the amount of people. Access
roads got overloaded and despite the fact that we have arrived around
10am, because of heavy traffic and chaos on the roads we could not get
in until 1pm, missing on all the morning activities.

Trying to get out after the race was even worse. Nobody was directing
traffic anywhere, and people were just driving around huge fields,
trying to find exists. Many cars got stuck in wet mud, and had to be
pushed.

I think rather then refunding the fee, the organisers have to give
every attendee free ticket for the next race, otherwise not many people
might turn up again
Thanks
Eeyore
2006-09-02 22:05:41 UTC
Post by Lev
Race got cancelled :-(
Eh ? I was watching some of it on TeeeeVeeee !

Graham
Lev
2006-09-03 08:36:49 UTC
Post by Eeyore
Eh ? I was watching some of it on TeeeeVeeee !
From:
http://www.redbullairrace.com/news_detail.php?id=209

############
Due to adverse weather conditions it is with great regret that the Red
Bull Air Race at Longleat has had to be cancelled.

The Air Race safety committee made this decision based on continued
weather reports of strong winds making it too dangerous to fly.

All spectators who purchased tickets for the event will be refunded the
full amount.

Qualification results from Friday will now stand as the official
results for the Longleat Air Race. Therefore the results are as
follows: 1. Paul Bonhomme (UK), 2. Peter Besenyei (HUN), 3. Kirby
Chambliss (USA).

The Red Bull Air Race team and Longleat regret any disappointment
caused by the cancellation of the event due to the weather, but the
safety of both pilots and spectators is paramount.
############
Eeyore
2006-09-03 09:05:29 UTC
Post by Lev
Post by Eeyore
[...]
So what was it I was watching yesterday afternoon ? Friday's qualification ?

Graham
Tim Duke
2006-09-03 10:07:49 UTC
Post by Eeyore
So what was it I was watching yesterday afternoon ? Friday's qualification ?
Graham
Yes, it was.

Tim