Vulcan to fly today?
David Wright
2007-10-18 09:43:58 UTC
Back in the sky today, apparently.

Lots of live activity on the webcams -
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/vulcancameras.asp

and reported on Sky News
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1288877,00.html.

Now, where did I leave those earplugs...

D.
For example: John Smith
2007-10-18 10:01:46 UTC
Post by David Wright
Back in the sky today, apparently.
Lots of live activity on the webcams -
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/vulcancameras.asp
and reported on Sky News
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1288877,00.html.
Now, where did I leave those earplugs...
D.
I remember watching these babies flying round RAF Manston, as a boy.
Freaky bit of kit, in the air.
TOCA
2007-10-18 20:40:20 UTC
Post by For example: John Smith
Post by David Wright
Back in the sky today, apparently.
Lots of live activity on the webcams -
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/vulcancameras.asp
and reported on Sky News
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1288877,00.html.
Now, where did I leave those earplugs...
D.
I remember watching these babies flying round RAF Manston, as a boy.
Freaky bit of kit, in the air.
If those are babies to you, I'm not sure I want to meet the parrents ;o)

Nice with some good news for a change though :o)

Tommy C
Simon Robbins
2007-10-18 11:32:09 UTC
Post by David Wright
Back in the sky today, apparently.
Lots of live activity on the webcams -
http://www.tvoc.co.uk/vulcancameras.asp
and reported on Sky News
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1288877,00.html.
Now, where did I leave those earplugs...
Awesome. Can't wait to see one of those flying again. Now all we need
is an old '70s RAF Phantom and a Buccaneer to go with it and my
childhood is complete!

Si
David Wright
2007-10-18 11:54:33 UTC
Post by Simon Robbins
Awesome.
Well, apparently it did fly. Not that I would have seen it, as the BBC
thought it more important to show footage of a man running around in a "bear
suit", apparently part of the Turner Prize, than carry the live take off on
their news channel.

Apparently it was shown live on Sky News, but I can't get that on the web
(audio only) so had to make do with hearing it fly whilst watching the
sloooooow webcam picture update at one frame every 30 seconds.

Funny how the Beeb could dedicate hour after hour after hour to the last
flights of Concorde, but not even give 30 seconds to the biggest return to
flight of a retired British plane, one that helped the UK win the Falklands
conflict, especially when it was supported by public money (donations,
lottery funding).

<comic book guy> Rest assured I was on the internet within minutes,
registering my disgust </comic book guy>

D.
unknown
2007-10-18 12:37:51 UTC
Post by David Wright
Funny how the Beeb could dedicate hour after hour after hour to the last
flights of Concorde, but not even give 30 seconds to the biggest return to
flight of a retired British plane, one that helped the UK win the Falklands
conflict, especially when it was supported by public money (donations,
lottery funding).
<irony>
That's because of the special way the BBC is funded.
</irony>

Not the footage in question but there are some interesting clips on this
site, and congratulations to Barry Thomas for his work.

http://www.nodarkroom.co.uk/videos.htm
AWem
2007-10-23 23:10:02 UTC
Post by unknown
Not the footage in question but there are some interesting clips on this
site, and congratulations to Barry Thomas for his work.
http://www.nodarkroom.co.uk/videos.htm
Thanks - that's 90 minutes of my evening unexpectedly lost and gone!!
:-)

Andy

Tom Lucas
2007-10-18 14:37:52 UTC
Post by David Wright
Post by Simon Robbins
Awesome.
<snip> one that helped the UK win the Falklands
Post by David Wright
conflict, especially when it was supported by public money (donations,
lottery funding).
It didn't help much. Many tens of thousands of pounds of fuel were used
to get the thing there and then it missed with nearly all of its bombs.
It was only really used so that the RAF could feel like they were
involved - the Navy's Harriers were the decisive weapons in the air. At
least this is what Sharkey Ward said in his book.

However, I agree that it would have been nice to have seen it on the
Beeb as a reward for all the people who put their own time and money
into getting it flying and as an example of what lottery money does when
used for something worthwhile.
Peter
Apart from that occassion, did a Vulcan ever see action?
Simon Robbins
2007-10-18 16:52:37 UTC
Post by Peter
Apart from that occassion, did a Vulcan ever see action?
No. And considering it's primary purpose, that's a good thing.

Si
Simon Robbins
2007-10-18 16:52:05 UTC
Post by Tom Lucas
It didn't help much. Many tens of thousands of pounds of fuel were used
to get the thing there and then it missed with nearly all of its bombs.
It was only really used so that the RAF could feel like they were
involved - the Navy's Harriers were the decisive weapons in the air. At
least this is what Sharkey Ward said in his book.
But many of the Harriers flown from the carriers (and the decks of
support ships) *were* RAF Harriers. They weren't all Sea Harriers by a
long shot.

Si
Quilljar
2007-10-18 18:06:21 UTC
But were they all flown by RAF pilots? I doubt it.
--
Yrs Quilly

http://quilljar.users.btopenworld.com/gall.html
unknown
2007-10-18 19:28:34 UTC
Post by Quilljar
But were they all flown by RAF pilots? I doubt it.
1. Sqdn flew from Hermes. Not all of the Harriers in the Falklands were
Sea Harriers, not all of them were flown by RAF pilots, nor were they
all flown by Navy pilots.

I can't see what the point of your post was.
Simon Robbins
2007-10-19 12:00:07 UTC
Post by Quilljar
But were they all flown by RAF pilots? I doubt it.
No of course not. But the RAF was very much involved in the whole
conflict. Not just with the Vulcans and Harriers, but also with the
Buccaneers, Nimrods, air-to-air tankers, Canberras, etc. that were
deployed to the South Atlantic to support the task force.

Si
Tom Lucas
2007-10-19 13:56:39 UTC
Post by Simon Robbins
Post by Quilljar
But were they all flown by RAF pilots? I doubt it.
No of course not. But the RAF was very much involved in the whole
conflict. Not just with the Vulcans and Harriers, but also with the
Buccaneers, Nimrods, air-to-air tankers, Canberras, etc. that were
deployed to the South Atlantic to support the task force.
Are you sure about Buccaneers and Canberras? What were they doing? I
believe it was only the Navy who were actually shooting at Argentinians
which is why the RAF wanted to get involved with their Vulcans. Plus
there was also a worry that the Navy might do rather too well without
them and, in a time of defence budget cuts and belt-tightening, had to
be seen to be worth their expense.
unknown
2007-10-19 16:00:03 UTC
I believe it was only the Navy who were actually shooting at Argentinians
You can believe what you like, but you're wrong.
Tom Lucas
2007-10-19 16:27:56 UTC
Post by unknown
I believe it was only the Navy who were actually shooting at
Argentinians
You can believe what you like, but you're wrong.
Discounting ground forces obviously then I would be interested to know
what the RAFs role was in combat. I'm not trying to antagonise anyone
but it was my understanding that the Navy were the ones engaging
Argentinians from the air. If I'm wrong on that then I'd welcome being
set straight. Were the Army Air Corps involved as well?
MikeW
2007-10-19 17:31:05 UTC
Post by Tom Lucas
Post by unknown
I believe it was only the Navy who were actually shooting at
Argentinians
You can believe what you like, but you're wrong.
Discounting ground forces obviously then I would be interested to know
what the RAFs role was in combat. I'm not trying to antagonise anyone
but it was my understanding that the Navy were the ones engaging
Argentinians from the air. If I'm wrong on that then I'd welcome being
set straight. Were the Army Air Corps involved as well?
Copied and pasted from this site

http://www.naval-history.net/F18taskforce.htm

RAF in the Falklands conflict.
ROYAL AIR FORCE
Brize Norton (VC10’s)
Coningsby (Phantoms)
Kinloss (Nimrod MR2’s)
Lyneham (Hercules)
Marham (Victors)
Odiham (Chinooks)
St Athan (maintenance)
St Mawgan (Nimrod MR1’s)
Waddingtons (Vulcans)
Wittering (Harrier GR3’s)
Wyton (Nimrod R1’s)

Army Air Corps in the Falklands conflict

Middle Wallop (AAC)
Netheravon (AAC
--
MikeW
Please don't feed the (Twin) trolls
unknown
Which bit of "1. Sqdn flew from Hermes." was not clear?
Simon Robbins
2007-10-20 00:40:23 UTC
Post by Tom Lucas
Are you sure about Buccaneers and Canberras? What were they doing? I
believe it was only the Navy who were actually shooting at Argentinians
which is why the RAF wanted to get involved with their Vulcans. Plus
there was also a worry that the Navy might do rather too well without
them and, in a time of defence budget cuts and belt-tightening, had to
be seen to be worth their expense.
Canberras were flying recon over the Argentinian fleet, one of which was
flying secretly from Chile.

You are right about the Buccaneer though. Some aircraft did go to the
Falklands but not until after the conflict in 1983 where they were
stationed for defence. (Along with several Phantoms.)

The RAF Harrier GR3s were engaging the Argentines alongside their Navy
Sea Harrier brethren. Perhaps the Vulcan was used because it was the
only viable runway denial platform considering the Harriers were limited
in bomb load considering they only had STOL capability from the carrier.

While you're right in saying that it did little damage to its target,
(the bombs didn't miss, they just did little damage), it had the desired
effect as the Argentines removed their fighters from the island, meaning
that they had to travel from the mainland to engage the fleet.

Si
Canuck
Si
Simon Robbins
2007-10-20 11:18:35 UTC
Post by Canuck
Re the Buccs, I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were still in
use during Desert Storm as target markers, please correct me if I am wrong.
That's true. They were buddy lasing for Tornados since they had no
designator then of their own. (They do now.)

Si
Simon Robbins
2007-10-18 16:50:43 UTC
Post by David Wright
Apparently it was shown live on Sky News, but I can't get that on the web
(audio only) so had to make do with hearing it fly whilst watching the
sloooooow webcam picture update at one frame every 30 seconds.
I saw it on Sky news. Very impressive to see that old lady again.

Si
Ian
2007-10-18 12:48:13 UTC
Post by David Wright
Back in the sky today, apparently.
How long, I wonder, till it crashes at an airshow, in the noble
tradition of smouldering Spitfire, Hurricane, Messerschmitt and other
historic aircraft-shaped holes in runways up and down the country?

I'll guess "within five years".

Ian
Canuck