JAA PPL overseas
Alt Beer
2006-10-19 10:23:38 UTC
I have current passes in all seven JAA PPL exams. I have UK CAA class 2
medical. I don't yet have the R/T practical. I have five hours of recent
practical flight training (EGKB). For reasons of deteriorating winter
weather and cost, I am thinking of doing the JAA PPL practical flight
training overseas.

I'm interested in comments and suggestions, pros/cons of going this route.

I can consider any country / location.

If done in the USA, is an FAA medical required?
How difficult is it to get permission to do the flight training in the USA?
and does the permission take long to get?
Are there major differences in procedures and methods of working UK to USA
that might be problematic?
The only exam that I would need is R/T practical. Would this be done in the
USA or on return in the UK?

Prices I have seen for JAA PPL training in the USA include some element of
ground school but I already have the exams. Has anyone here been in this
situation? I am exam'd out at the moment and am not particularly keen on
taking further exams e.g. FAA PPL (don't know how difficult it is)

Thanks
Peter
2006-10-19 10:34:55 UTC
Post by Alt Beer
[...]
My reply on the other thread here might be of interest.

The FAA written exam covers the subject matter of some of the six JAA
exams but also includes some stuff not covered, particularly (IIRC)
instrument flight. The FAA exams are very practically oriented.

You will need visa/TSA approval to train in the USA for a PPL, IR and
some other stuff:

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/faa-pplir/tsa-visa.html
pietro
2006-10-20 08:35:05 UTC
There are a number of flight training schools in Florida offering
JAA Training. The weather is 95% good. A lot of the training
would be in or near controlled airspace (Orlando, Tampa) so you
would be using the radio all the time. You should be able to get
your hours within 3 weeks. If I were starting again that's where
I would head for. Check it out.
It's also great for flying holidays. Cheaper aircraft rental.
Attractive destinations: Florida Keys, Bahamas. Above all good
VFR conditions.
P.
Jeroen Wenting
2006-10-20 12:05:03 UTC
Post by Alt Beer
I have current passes in all seven JAA PPL exams. I have UK CAA class 2
medical. I don't yet have the R/T practical. I have five hours of recent
practical flight training (EGKB). For reasons of deteriorating winter
weather and cost, I am thinking of doing the JAA PPL practical flight
training overseas.
I'm interested in comments and suggestions, pros/cons of going this route.
I can consider any country / location.
If done in the USA, is an FAA medical required?
AFAIK not, as the JAA medical is stricter than the FAA medical.
Post by Alt Beer
How difficult is it to get permission to do the flight training in the USA?
and does the permission take long to get?
No clue, best ask your nearest consulate or embassy for details.
Post by Alt Beer
Are there major differences in procedures and methods of working UK to USA
that might be problematic?
If training under a JAA approved instructor you're trained to JAA standards.
As for PPL ATC procedures are less of a factor the differences there
shouldn't bother you too much.
Post by Alt Beer
The only exam that I would need is R/T practical. Would this be done in the
USA or on return in the UK?
RT is mandatory under JAA rules, not FAA rules. It would therefore likely be
done in the UK before you leave, or done in the US by a JAA certified
instructor and examiner.
Post by Alt Beer
Prices I have seen for JAA PPL training in the USA include some element of
ground school but I already have the exams. Has anyone here been in this
situation? I am exam'd out at the moment and am not particularly keen on
taking further exams e.g. FAA PPL (don't know how difficult it is)
You don't need FAA PPL as JAA PPL is far more comprehensive (and
consequently more difficult).
In fact people holding an FAA PPL need special additional training and exams
to fly in Europe (certainly EU citizens do, they can't even rent a European
registered aircraft on an FAA certificate).
Peter
2006-10-20 13:16:31 UTC
Post by Jeroen Wenting
You don't need FAA PPL as JAA PPL is far more comprehensive (and
consequently more difficult).
What a load of nonsense. I've done both (standalone). The FAA was
harder in terms of flying. The JAA had a load more crap in the theory
but the FAA exam had more practical content.
That's because of the JAA job creation schemes.
Jeroen Wenting
2006-10-27 19:03:48 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Jeroen Wenting
You don't need FAA PPL as JAA PPL is far more comprehensive (and
consequently more difficult).
What a load of nonsense. I've done both (standalone). The FAA was
harder in terms of flying. The JAA had a load more crap in the theory
but the FAA exam had more practical content.
The practical part would depend on your examiner...
The theory is in part crap, in part things that should be in the FAA exam
but aren't.
Knowing more is never a bad thing, especially if that knowledge might
someday save your ass.
Post by Peter
Post by Jeroen Wenting
In fact people holding an FAA PPL need special additional training and exams
to fly in Europe
That's because of the JAA job creation schemes.
In part, but also to make sure you're up to date on the JAA regs and
actually know them seeing as they are a lot more comprehensive than the FAA
ones.
Peter
2006-10-27 19:48:15 UTC
Post by Jeroen Wenting
In part, but also to make sure you're up to date on the JAA regs and
actually know them seeing as they are a lot more comprehensive than the FAA
ones.
They perhaps are more comprehensive, but that's not the same thing as
saying the extra material makes any difference to safety.

EASA is supposedly doing away with a lot of this stuff. Their latest
proposal basically states that JAA is doing its best to kill off GA.