F215 on a PDA
NoSpam
2006-10-23 10:58:56 UTC
Has anyone found a way to get a readable F215 on a PDA?

What are the best weather sites for use with a PDA?

Dave
Peter
2006-10-23 12:09:04 UTC
Post by NoSpam
Has anyone found a way to get a readable F215 on a PDA?
What are the best weather sites for use with a PDA?
Dave
The one I use is

http://www.avbrief.com/pda/opmet.html

and you can enter several ICAO airfield identifiers separated by
spaces.

As a general comment, it's best to get a PDA with a 640x480 screen;
then you can run most websites on it. I don't think there is a decent
PDF solution though. I use a HP4700 with the SE-VGA hack to get
640x480 in normal programs.

There is a number of compact weather sites.

http://mobile.srh.noaa.gov/ (American)
http://www.activitae.com/airbase/mirror.htm
NoSpam
2006-10-23 13:28:26 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by NoSpam
Has anyone found a way to get a readable F215 on a PDA?
What are the best weather sites for use with a PDA?
Dave
The one I use is
http://www.avbrief.com/pda/opmet.html
and you can enter several ICAO airfield identifiers separated by
spaces.
As a general comment, it's best to get a PDA with a 640x480 screen;
then you can run most websites on it. I don't think there is a decent
PDF solution though. I use a HP4700 with the SE-VGA hack to get
640x480 in normal programs.
There is a number of compact weather sites.
http://mobile.srh.noaa.gov/ (American)
http://www.activitae.com/airbase/mirror.htm
I've been using the metoffice and avbrief (which still says "PDA test
only") sites on the PDA for a while; they're fine for text and rainfall
radar but the 215 and 214 are unreadable
*STOP PRESS - whilst typing this I looked again and noticed a "fit to
screen" tick box under "view" - having unchecked that I can pan around
the 214/5 and they're totally readable - problem solved*

I didn't know about the activitae site - very useful. Thanks.

I'd planned to upgrade to something like the TYTN but have decided to
stay with the IPAQ and separate phone for a while longer; 320x240 will
have to do for now.

Now all I need is a way to get AIS NOTAMs on the PDA and some way to
change from portrait to landscape.

Dave
Peter
2006-10-23 16:12:24 UTC
Post by NoSpam
Now all I need is a way to get AIS NOTAMs on the PDA and some way to
change from portrait to landscape.
There is a way to use the AIS site on Pocket Explorer. Most of it runs
OK already; the bit which doesn't is their weird javascripted pulldown
menu structure.

I have two shortcuts which I use for this purpose: one bypasses the
entire login screen (by submitting the login+password directly) which
saves around 100k-200k of data, and the other one, used subsequently,
invokes the Narrow Route Briefing page directly.

The first shortcut is
Post by NoSpam
<BODY onload="document.login.submit();">
<FORM method=POST name=login action="http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/j_security_check">
<INPUT type=hidden name=j_username value=LOGIN></INPUT>
<INPUT type=hidden name=j_password value=PASSWORD></INPUT>
</FORM>
</BODY>
and you substitute the LOGIN and PASSWORD with your actual values. The
other shortcut is just the URL of the NRB page.

The actual NRB is just text and shows up OK on my PDA.
NoSpam
2006-10-27 10:07:41 UTC
Post by NoSpam
<BODY onload="document.login.submit();">
<FORM method=POST name=login action="http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/j_security_check">
<INPUT type=hidden name=j_username value=LOGIN></INPUT>
<INPUT type=hidden name=j_password value=PASSWORD></INPUT>
</FORM>
</BODY>
and you substitute the LOGIN and PASSWORD with your actual values. The
other shortcut is just the URL of the NRB page.
The actual NRB is just text and shows up OK on my PDA.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Dave