Microsoft Flight sim
David perry
2006-11-29 18:45:38 UTC
Guys, to pick your brains, I'm interested in using MS FS to brush up on
flying a Boeing 757 (basically I fly the A320 and am moving to the vintage
aeroplane early next year, and for all sorts of reasons I want to make a
good impression).

Is MSFS available with 757 panel images? Is it any good?

I'm not really a flight sim flier i.e. I have never flown a flight sim that
isn't six axis so have no idea as to the capabilities of the MS one - but
it seems the scan pracice alone must be worth something.

David
Peter
2006-11-29 17:03:29 UTC
Post by David perry
Guys, to pick your brains, I'm interested in using MS FS to brush up on
flying a Boeing 757 (basically I fly the A320 and am moving to the vintage
aeroplane early next year, and for all sorts of reasons I want to make a
good impression).
Is MSFS available with 757 panel images? Is it any good?
I'm not really a flight sim flier i.e. I have never flown a flight sim that
isn't six axis so have no idea as to the capabilities of the MS one - but
it seems the scan pracice alone must be worth something.
David
I don't know off hand David but you can certainly download practically
anything, including an SR71, from avsim.com, free of charge.

FS2k is OK for procedural stuff. Saved me many hours and four figures
in my IMC Rating in 2002.

For some reason I didn't use it for the IR, probably because the IR
isn't any harder *technically* than the IMC-R but the intensity and
pace of the IR is much harder. The key to the IR is good workload
management; any IMC-R pilot who knows his stuff could do all IR flight
given enough time (or an autopilot), and the intensity is hard to
simulate on a single-person FS2k installation. For example, just
changing radio frequencies on a FS2k radio or VOR is a real PITA (you
probably have to put the sim into pause mode).
Clive
2006-11-30 21:46:50 UTC
Post by David perry
Guys, to pick your brains, I'm interested in using MS FS to brush up on
flying a Boeing 757 (basically I fly the A320 and am moving to the vintage
aeroplane early next year, and for all sorts of reasons I want to make a
good impression).
Is MSFS available with 757 panel images? Is it any good?
I'm not really a flight sim flier i.e. I have never flown a flight sim that
isn't six axis so have no idea as to the capabilities of the MS one - but
it seems the scan pracice alone must be worth something.
David
There are two major players in the PC based Flight Sim market

Microsoft FSX and X-plane - do a Google

Both are very good in what they do FSX probably has more aircraft and
add-ons. scenery, etc.

Many people say the flight model of X-Plane is superior, because it's flight
model is written based on aerodynamics, rather than Microsoft's model which
I believe is pull stick back - aircraft climbs, push stick forward aircraft
descends, etc - maybe not quite that crude.

Microsoft has some very VERY good aircraft (including photo real panels) and
with some decent hardware i.e. processing power and stuff like joysticks,
pedals, multiple monitors, etc, it can far outcost real time flying.

take a look at alt.games.Microsoft.flight-sim

Clive