FAA PPL written exam UK
Alt Beer
2008-01-30 09:39:26 UTC
Does anyone know if it is possible to take the FAA PPL written exam in the
UK and if so where?

Thanks
Peter
2008-01-31 13:33:21 UTC
Yes, Flight Safety at Farnborough is the place I last heard of.

I also did my fingerprints there for TSA, in 2006; not sure if they
still do it.
Thanks
Alt Beer
UK and if so where?
Peter
2008-01-31 15:03:27 UTC
Post by Alt Beer
Thanks for the info... Do you have separate log books for USA and EU
flying or do you log all in the one book?
I use just the one logbook.

Why use more than one?
Alt Beer
2008-01-31 15:29:27 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Alt Beer
Thanks for the info... Do you have separate log books for USA and EU
flying or do you log all in the one book?
I use just the one logbook.
Why use more than one?
I wondered whether there was a ruling FAA, CAA etc which meant when flying
under the terms of a particular licence entries had to be in a separate
logbook. I'm reading Kershner Student Pilot Flight Manual which follows the
FAA Private Pilots syllabus and his Advanced Pilots Flight Manual. The FAA
Private practical test seems to cover stall recovery in more depth that the
JAR test and also has slipping to land and more precise flying.... flying a
circle around a post, eights around two posts S around a straight line.
Interesting reading.
Peter
2008-01-31 15:49:54 UTC
Post by Alt Beer
Post by Peter
Post by Alt Beer
Thanks for the info... Do you have separate log books for USA and EU
flying or do you log all in the one book?
I use just the one logbook.
Why use more than one?
I wondered whether there was a ruling FAA, CAA etc which meant when flying
under the terms of a particular licence entries had to be in a separate
logbook. I'm reading Kershner Student Pilot Flight Manual which follows the
FAA Private Pilots syllabus and his Advanced Pilots Flight Manual. The FAA
Private practical test seems to cover stall recovery in more depth that the
JAR test and also has slipping to land and more precise flying.... flying a
circle around a post, eights around two posts S around a straight line.
Interesting reading.
No such ruling I am aware of. I kept one logbook since day 1.

JAA PPL (UK)
JAA NQ (UK)
CAA IMCR (UK)
FAA PPL (UK)
FAA IR (USA)
FAA CPL (UK)

The first one, a CAA style book, got filled up around the 700hr mark
just before starting on the CPL.

Nobody ever remarked on the logbook itself.

The checkride will check what the checkride is supposed to check and
you just get a signature in the logbook, and a piece of paper (or an
FAA plastic card) through the post sometime later.

The only thing I would recommend (not based on anything I have
encountered but just common sense) is that if you are training in the
UK, with a normal UK instructor in some G-reg, and you are hoping for
a particular flight to count towards say the FAA PPL, that you get the
instructor to write into the logbook the details of the flight (e.g.
night dual, 120nm) and sign it. Then there is no argument about
whether it qualifies, 3 years later. Better still, write in there that
it meets FAR 61.XX requirements...

The grey areas on FAA acceptable logbook entries are on the IR where
you have an IFR 250nm dual flight with 3 landings, and on the CPL
where you have a VFR 250nm solo flight with 3 landings, where it isn't
clear whether all 3 landings need to be on the same day. The examiners
are split 50/50 on this. Such flights are best done on the same day
and annotated appropriately.