Two helicopter questions...
McBad
2007-06-10 06:40:59 UTC
1. Does anyone know of a newsgroup or other group specific for UK
helicopter enthusiasts / flying? I was a member of one a few years
ago but can't find any details of it now... It was one of those ones
where if someone else on the group sends a message everyone in the
group gets it, but I don't think anything was firmly held on any web
page anywhere, if that helps.. :o)

2. Any recommendations for somewhere to do a PPL(H) near Cardiff,
South Wales. My web searches don't reveal any school at Cardiff
Airport but maybe I'm missing something. If not Cardiff then Swansea,
Bristol and Gloucester all come in range and there is also an outfit,
Great Dane, at Haverfordwest - I'd be interested in any personal
recommendations.

(3. For those who have a PPL(H) how long does it typically take a
student with no previous exeperience to obtain? I know there are
about 50 hours flying required but in the UK how many weeks / months
does that normally get spread over...? (Is there a 'normally'?))

Many thanks,

M.
Peter
2007-06-10 07:31:29 UTC
Unfortunately, very few people use Usenet nowadays, including
(evidently) this newsgroup. I would suggest you try the rotorheads
forum on www.pprune.org
M.
McBad
2007-06-10 15:08:39 UTC
Post by Peter
Unfortunately, very few people use Usenet nowadays, including
(evidently) this newsgroup. I would suggest you try the rotorheads
forum onwww.pprune.org
Thanks, I hadn't found that and it looks a useful site... I've signed
up.

Cheers,

Simon Hobson
2007-06-10 19:58:21 UTC
Post by McBad
1. Does anyone know of a newsgroup or other group specific for UK
helicopter enthusiasts / flying?
No, but I can recommend the Flyer list (http://www.flyerlist.org.uk) though
it's gone relatively quiet since many people defected over to the flyer
forums (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/).

Personally I dislike web forums - I find mailing lists and usenet far easier
to use.
Peter
2007-06-11 14:47:27 UTC
Post by Simon Hobson
Post by McBad
1. Does anyone know of a newsgroup or other group specific for UK
helicopter enthusiasts / flying?
No, but I can recommend the Flyer list (http://www.flyerlist.org.uk) though
it's gone relatively quiet since many people defected over to the flyer
forums (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/).
Personally I dislike web forums - I find mailing lists and usenet far easier
to use.
That flyer list is probably dead. I recall trying to sign up a few
times, last time about 6-12 months ago, and the admins don't respond
to emails. I suspect the server is still running and the same old
posters still post to it, but the admins have abandoned it a long time
ago.

I agree re web forums - a great waste of time, but this is the way the
world is going - most people prefer the "dumb" world of web browsing.

For sheer breadth of expertise you can't beat pprune.org, whether one
likes it or not.
Alt Beer
2007-06-11 17:43:58 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Simon Hobson
Post by McBad
1. Does anyone know of a newsgroup or other group specific for UK
helicopter enthusiasts / flying?
No, but I can recommend the Flyer list (http://www.flyerlist.org.uk) though
it's gone relatively quiet since many people defected over to the flyer
forums (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/).
Personally I dislike web forums - I find mailing lists and usenet far easier
to use.
That flyer list is probably dead. I recall trying to sign up a few
times, last time about 6-12 months ago, and the admins don't respond
to emails. I suspect the server is still running and the same old
posters still post to it, but the admins have abandoned it a long time
ago.
The sign up page http://www.flyerlist.org.uk/subunsub.html
is now saying just send an email with "subscribe" in the body.
Not tried it myself
Simon Hobson
2007-06-13 07:20:45 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Simon Hobson
No, but I can recommend the Flyer list (http://www.flyerlist.org.uk) though
it's gone relatively quiet since many people defected over to the flyer
forums (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/).
That flyer list is probably dead. I recall trying to sign up a few
times, last time about 6-12 months ago, and the admins don't respond
to emails. I suspect the server is still running and the same old
posters still post to it, but the admins have abandoned it a long time
ago.
That flyer list most definitely is NOT dead, and the admins are most
definitely still around. It's lost a fair bit of it's volume since many
people 'defected' to the furums, but it's far from dead. We could sure do
with some new 'faces' though.

I do recall that in the past the list has gone through some upheavals (like
having to move server home a couple of times), so it's possible that a few
messages 'fell through the cracks'.