Altimeter identity
Mike Lindsay
2007-12-06 09:04:57 UTC
I don't know if this is the right place for this query but because of
the requirement to register it with the CAA I need to know the maker of
the altimeter in our sailplane.

The instrument appears to be a bog standard 3 pointer altimeter with the
millibar sub-scale in a window at the 6 o'clock position as is the
pressure setting knob.

There is no indication on the back of the instrument other than a broad
arrow.

On the face of the instrument there is a legend KB4/O2KA Mk20A, and
separately the figures 11/56 (date?).
Under this there is what I think is an Air Ministry stores reference
Ref 6A/3155.

Anyone any ideas?
Mike Lindsay
me
2007-12-06 13:36:36 UTC
Googling 6A/3155 gives a list at http://www.pandect.co.uk/caprep.xls
suggesting it's a Smiths altimeter (probably Smiths Aircraft Instruments Ltd
if it was made in 1956.) Maybe Pandect could confirm this?

Eddie
Mike Lindsay
Mike Lindsay
2007-12-06 19:46:57 UTC
Post by me
Googling 6A/3155 gives a list at http://www.pandect.co.uk/caprep.xls
suggesting it's a Smiths altimeter (probably Smiths Aircraft Instruments Ltd
if it was made in 1956.) Maybe Pandect could confirm this?
Eddie
Thanks, Eddie.

Someone from another group pointed me at Cair Aviation's website, they
have a photo of the same instrument labelled Smiths Mk20a altimeter.

So, that probably does it!.
Mike Lindsay
Phil Collin