Gone dead?
The Nomad
2012-09-29 10:34:09 UTC
Will the last one out shut the door please

Ta!
Peter J. Seymour
2012-09-29 11:09:57 UTC
Post by The Nomad
Will the last one out shut the door please
Ta!
Well, there has been hardly any proper traffic this year. My feeling is
if the group is not being used it should be closed down to avoid
confusion. How do we do that?
unknown
2012-09-29 12:41:26 UTC
Post by Peter J. Seymour
Post by The Nomad
Will the last one out shut the door please
Ta!
Well, there has been hardly any proper traffic this year. My feeling is
if the group is not being used it should be closed down to avoid
confusion. How do we do that?
You need to raise an RFD proposing that the group be closed, although
it's difficult to see how an unusued group causes "confusion". If you
search through uk.net.news.config you will find many past examples of
RFD for group closure.

Here's an example of a typical RFD:

https://groups.google.com/group/uk.net.news.config/msg/a55bd384c3d01932

This should give you an idea of the sort of information that the RFD
needs to contain.

Your RFD needs to be mailed to: ***@usenet.org.uk

And your RFD needs to comply with the guidelines given here:

http://www.usenet.org.uk/guidelines.html
Peter Scholz
2012-09-29 13:13:18 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Peter J. Seymour
Post by The Nomad
Will the last one out shut the door please
Ta!
Well, there has been hardly any proper traffic this year. My feeling is
if the group is not being used it should be closed down to avoid
confusion. How do we do that?
You need to raise an RFD proposing that the group be closed, although
it's difficult to see how an unusued group causes "confusion". If you
search through uk.net.news.config you will find many past examples of
RFD for group closure.
https://groups.google.com/group/uk.net.news.config/msg/a55bd384c3d01932
This should give you an idea of the sort of information that the RFD
needs to contain.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/guidelines.html
I think it will be difficult to close this group, as there is at least
one subgroup existing unter uk.rec.aviation.soaring, still alive and
kicking.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
unknown
2012-09-29 13:21:32 UTC
Post by Peter Scholz
I think it will be difficult to close this group, as there is at least
one subgroup existing unter uk.rec.aviation.soaring, still alive and
kicking.
Ah, I wasn't aware of the subgroup, thanks for the info. It's good to
hear that the noble activity of flapping around without an engine
continues and continues to be popular in relative terms.
Peter
2012-10-02 06:36:04 UTC
I still read it occassionally ;)

Not that anybody has posted here for ages...

Here's my last trip report

http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/samothraki/
Ta!
Rob
2012-10-02 13:21:53 UTC
Post by Peter
I still read it occassionally ;)
Not that anybody has posted here for ages...
Here's my last trip report
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/samothraki/
Once again Peter my thanks for taking the trouble to post another of your
trips. It makes a great read.

Best wishes
Robin Davies
https://www.covaero.com
Peter
2012-10-02 19:31:20 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Peter
I still read it occassionally ;)
Not that anybody has posted here for ages...
Here's my last trip report
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/samothraki/
Once again Peter my thanks for taking the trouble to post another of your
trips. It makes a great read.
Best wishes
Robin Davies
https://www.covaero.com
Gosh that's TWO people who still read Usenet :)

Isn't it amazing how suddenly it all died?

I still use Usenet for various tech stuff but most of the aviation
groups seem to have gone quiet.
Rob
2012-10-02 22:35:22 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Rob
Post by Peter
Here's my last trip report
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/samothraki/
Once again Peter my thanks for taking the trouble to post another of your
trips. It makes a great read.
Gosh that's TWO people who still read Usenet :)
Isn't it amazing how suddenly it all died?
We have quite a few owner/members none of whom seem aware of Usenet. Most
monitor Prune. However you only have to view the CAA data for new PPLs
to realise the GA community is shrinking. Root cause of the problem I guess.

Rob
Peter
2012-10-03 06:18:30 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Peter
Post by Rob
Post by Peter
Here's my last trip report
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/samothraki/
Once again Peter my thanks for taking the trouble to post another of your
trips. It makes a great read.
Gosh that's TWO people who still read Usenet :)
Isn't it amazing how suddenly it all died?
We have quite a few owner/members none of whom seem aware of Usenet. Most
monitor Prune. However you only have to view the CAA data for new PPLs
to realise the GA community is shrinking. Root cause of the problem I guess.
Rob
I suspect there are multiple causes, one of which is the ease of
posting on www forums, which now exist for everything from aviation to
ingrowing toenails :)

There is reducing participation on www forums too, however. There was
an explosion in general online chat, starting about 15 years ago
(Compuserve etc) and then a lot of people got bored with it because
all that could be said had been said, etc. The content of say pprune
and flyer has declined very substantially over the past 10 years.